Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

lewisss said:

[QUOTE=black lace]The boss said they are working on it. Dont think they will just push anything out so will test it until they are happy.

I thought that was what we were here for, to test the beta releases before they became official?[/QUOTE]
i think it would be more accurate to call us field testers not beta testers.
they are basicly the same thing. however in a true beta update scheme as soon as coding was done we would be testing it for bugs. evolve is doing the alpha phase in house and the true beta phase. where as we are simply using and providing feedback for future dev`ing 

Don't forget there is a fundamental difference between the way some people view temperature control and the way Evolv view it. A lot of users see TC as a way of controlling the intensity or heat of the vape and want to be continually adjusting the temp, whereas Evolve see it as true temperature protection, a way to stop you burning your cotton and avoiding dry hits. If you look at it from the manufacturers perspective there is no need to be continually adjusting temperature, it's pretty much set and forget.

Rage Kicker said:

Don't forget there is a fundamental difference between the way some people view temperature control and the way Evolv view it. A lot of users see TC as a way of controlling the intensity or heat of the vape and want to be continually adjusting the temp, whereas Evolve see it as true temperature protection, a way to stop you burning your cotton and avoiding dry hits. If you look at it from the manufacturers perspective there is no need to be continually adjusting temperature, it's pretty much set and forget.

No matter how you look at it you still need to find the right temperature. To do that you must keep going back and forth to get it right.

Rage Kicker said:

Rage Kicker said:

Not sure where you got that from as I have not seen anything like that from evolv officially (unless you are from evolv maybe) I am talking as a self coil building dripper only vaper. And I have found that particularly with Ti and Ss there is a while to 'break in coils' So ythe perfect vape with a ss 317 coil with the steam engine tcr is attained at about 330 f initially but throughout the day the temp required to get the same vape increases gradually until it settles down around 400-420. So yes temp control is a must for me. And with regards to your assumption maybe if that were the case they would have marketed the dna200 as 'dry burn protection ' rather than temperature control...... Just my thoughts

Shame it ever said temp protected really, and not temp settable, because everyone hangs on the protected word, if in the begining with the dna 40 it just flashed up the set value in large bold figurers, i think would have been better,, i must be a set and forget, becaue i hate to see it flashing up, no matter what i change the screen pic too, so allways aim for just below that max line.. weve all got our quirks of achieving the same thing aint we.

lewisss said:

Not sure where you got that from as I have not seen anything like that from evolv officially (unless you are from evolv maybe) I am talking as a self coil building dripper only vaper. And I have found that particularly with Ti and Ss there is a while to 'break in coils' So ythe perfect vape with a ss 317 coil with the steam engine tcr is attained at about 330 f initially but throughout the day the temp required to get the same vape increases gradually until it settles down around 400-420. So yes temp control is a must for me. And with regards to your assumption maybe if that were the case they would have marketed the dna200 as 'dry burn protection ' rather than temperature control...... Just my thoughts

This is from discussions with Evolv staff regarding the intended use of the temperature setting.  From their design perspective, they see the temperature set point as a max that you want to hit, then you control your vape with wattage.

This has exposed two camps of folks, those that use temperature to get the vape they want and those that use temperature as a protection point and use wattage to get the vape they want.  

I am in the second as I keep my DNA200 set at 200pre and 200fire and use temperature to set the vape quality.  Vaping Bad I "think" is in the first camp, in that he sets a not-to-exceed point for his temperature and then gets the desired vape with wattage.

No, my VaporShark is working the same as when I bought it. Which means that when I switch between RTAs (which I do frequently to avoid olfactory fatigue), I do the change temperature ritual frequently. My primary hope for an update is the ability to adjust temperature from the "main screen" while in TC mode.

This is possible in my test version.
I am however a bit curious: if you are doing this when you switch atomizers, why not use a profile for each atomizer?

im actually shocked we have no comments on the fact that changing temp from the main screen is actually in the testing phase right now.  i come from the camp of setting the temp where i like it for a particlar juice, and adjusting wattage where i want the vape to be at that point of the day, but, options are nice

I don't understand people who adjust wattage. Do you realise how TC works, particularly on the DNA200?

You can't change the preheat on the device. I'm assuming most people have a higher preheat value than their standard value. Once your device reaches set temperature, the required wattage drops quite low. So for the majority of use cases out there, you can keep changing those Watts all you want, the resulting vape should be exactly the same, the rest is just a placebo effect.

James said:

No, my VaporShark is working the same as when I bought it. Which means that when I switch between RTAs (which I do frequently to avoid olfactory fatigue), I do the change temperature ritual frequently. My primary hope for an update is the ability to adjust temperature from the "main screen" while in TC mode.

I am however a bit curious: if you are doing this when you switch atomizers, why not use a profile for each atomizer?
James, you say "this is possible in my test version" Does this mean that you have a firmware/software version that you are testing that allows temp as the primary adjustment value? ( and smaller increments I hope!!!)

lewisss said:

[QUOTE=James]

James, you say "this is possible in my test version" Does this mean that you have a firmware/software version that you are testing that allows temp as the primary adjustment value? ( and smaller increments I hope!!!)[/QUOTE]
In a previous post on this thread it was stated that Evolv are working on a firmware upgrade that has some significant UI changes one of which allows temperature adjustment from the main screen without the need for the play station "special move" button press sequence!

The delay in release is due to them moving premisses at the moment. I think the move is complete now so I'm sure they will release it soon when they are confident they have tested it thoroughly.

Is anything in the works as far as the chip learning the coil faster. I'm using one tank between two mods ( while one is charging) and every time I switch between the two there's a bit of a learning curve for the chip to know what's going on. Both devices are mirrored by escribe. Is there a way to speed up the sample rate? Isn't it like 200 samples a second? And I'm also in the second camp of vapors :-)

soulseek said:

I don't understand people who adjust wattage. Do you realise how TC works, particularly on the DNA200?

You can't change the preheat on the device. I'm assuming most people have a higher preheat value than their standard value. Once your device reaches set temperature, the required wattage drops quite low. So for the majority of use cases out there, you can keep changing those Watts all you want, the resulting vape should be exactly the same, the rest is just a placebo effect.

this would be true for those of us who use nickel only, i though, use many other wires than nickel, and some wire mixes, in which preheat does not perform well, so i have to keep the preheat turned off.  anyone using Ti or SS is most likely not using preheat, and that is a good portion of vapers on here. So therefore, changing wattage on a device with no preheat does make a huge difference

soulseek said:

Temperature protection prevents burnt hits and unsafe temperatures. When you are not vaping, or looking at the screen, yes, this does bring the power level low. (Or if the atomizer design in question is incapable of decent vapor production (wattage) without getting you into unsafe temperatures.) A legitimate use I _have_ seen for hanging out at the temperature limit is targeting particular flavor components that are brought out at specific temperatures.

The purpose of preheat is to quickly bring the coil up above the boiling point.

Once boiling, the thermodynamics change. In this region, wattage is _the_ determining factor for maximum vapor production.

James said:

[QUOTE=soulseek]I don't understand people who adjust wattage. Do you realise how TC works, particularly on the DNA200?

Temperature protection prevents burnt hits and unsafe temperatures. When you are not vaping, or looking at the screen, yes, this does bring the power level low. (Or if the atomizer design in question is incapable of decent vapor production (wattage) without getting you into unsafe temperatures.) A legitimate use I _have_ seen for hanging out at the temperature limit is targeting particular flavor components that are brought out at specific temperatures.

The purpose of preheat is to quickly bring the coil up above the boiling point.

Once boiling, the thermodynamics change. In this region, wattage is _the_ determining factor for maximum vapor production.[/QUOTE]

I think of it as Temperature control and not protection. Temperature dictates your vapour production as well as the changes in flavour. With a suitable preheat you reach your desired temperature in less than 1s and after that the main Wattage helps you maintain that temperature. If the chip works as it should it doesn't matter if you set your main wattage at 40W or 150W, as it will be regulated accordingly to keep you at your desired Temperature. You can show this pretty clearly from Escribe.

Laguz75 said:

Is anything in the works as far as the chip learning the coil faster. I'm using one tank between two mods ( while one is charging) and every time I switch between the two there's a bit of a learning curve for the chip to know what's going on. Both devices are mirrored by escribe. Is there a way to speed up the sample rate? Isn't it like 200 samples a second? And I'm also in the second camp of vapors :-)

There are two other reasons this could be happening. 1. Your tank is at a different temp than when it was last put on the other device. Are you letting it cool down before swapping over? 2. Are both the devices mod resistance set correctly? If one or both are slightly out then you would also get these symptoms, especially if you are using low resistance coils. The lower you go the more important mod resistance accuracy is.

Laguz75 said:

lol get a duplicate tank yer skinflint lol.

lewisss said:

[QUOTE=Laguz75]Is anything in the works as far as the chip learning the coil faster. I'm using one tank between two mods ( while one is charging) and every time I switch between the two there's a bit of a learning curve for the chip to know what's going on. Both devices are mirrored by escribe. Is there a way to speed up the sample rate? Isn't it like 200 samples a second? And I'm also in the second camp of vapors :-)

There are two other reasons this could be happening. 1. Your tank is at a different temp than when it was last put on the other device. Are you letting it cool down before swapping over? 2. Are both the devices mod resistance set correctly? If one or both are slightly out then you would also get these symptoms, especially if you are using low resistance coils. The lower you go the more important mod resistance accuracy is.[/QUOTE]yes my tank is at a different temp the mods are mirrored I have one of them copper plugs. I was hopping the software could tell it's warm