Let's see your 200's!

jonniemac said:

I finally got my split body DNA200 mod completed. Machined it at home in my garage on my Tormach PCNC770 from 6061 aluminum. All of the CAD and CAM were done in Autodesk Fusion360. The buttons and side plates are machined from damascus style M3 Mokume. Using the Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300 mAh battery and Evolv 510 connector. Huge photo album with lots of pics and information in the descriptions.

[NK5M2bg] 

That is fantastic, lovely work! Are you selling them?

Joei said:

[QUOTE=jonniemac]I finally got my split body DNA200 mod completed. Machined it at home in my garage on my Tormach PCNC770 from 6061 aluminum. All of the CAD and CAM were done in Autodesk Fusion360. The buttons and side plates are machined from damascus style M3 Mokume. Using the Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300 mAh battery and Evolv 510 connector. Huge photo album with lots of pics and information in the descriptions.

[NK5M2bg] 

That is fantastic, lovely work! Are you selling them?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm in the process of building some that will likely end up for sale. I've also thought about taking some custom orders which would allow the selection of various colors, materials and engraving. Haven't decided on pricing but there is no way I can compete on price with all of the cheap dna200 mods coming out of china. You can see the plans for the new builds in this photo album on Imgur.

This  pieces of olivewood I brought with me from my last holidays in greece (kalamata, stoupa):

Olivenmod-DNA200_1.jpg 

...good for a DNA200 mod:-)

Olivenmod-DNA200_5.jpg 

Olivenmod-DNA200_8.jpg 

Olivenmod-DNA200_13.jpg 

Battery and board inserted

Olivenmod-DNA200_22.jpg 

A wood cover

Olivenmod-DNA200_29.jpg 

...some adjustment buttons out 3mm stainless steel

Olivenmod-DNA200_30.jpg 

Olivenmod-DNA200_31.jpg 

Mitec fire button and 22mm fat-daddy connector

Olivenmod-DNA200_32.jpg 

And ready to go...with vapor giant mini on top.

Regards
werz99

jonniemac said:

[QUOTE=Joei][QUOTE=jonniemac]I finally got my split body DNA200 mod completed. Machined it at home in my garage on my Tormach PCNC770 from 6061 aluminum. All of the CAD and CAM were done in Autodesk Fusion360. The buttons and side plates are machined from damascus style M3 Mokume. Using the Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300 mAh battery and Evolv 510 connector. Huge photo album with lots of pics and information in the descriptions.

[NK5M2bg] 

That is fantastic, lovely work! Are you selling them?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm in the process of building some that will likely end up for sale. I've also thought about taking some custom orders which would allow the selection of various colors, materials and engraving. Haven't decided on pricing but there is no way I can compete on price with all of the cheap dna200 mods coming out of china. You can see the plans for the new builds in this photo album on Imgur.[/QUOTE] Let me know, I would love to have one, desert sand and sunspot pearl buttons, looks fantastic!

ChunkyButt200 said:

very tasty! great job! hows the fire button in relation to firing, holding it? obviously thumb fired but is it natural, comfortable? maybe this one wont veer off the road and crash?

Unfortunately, you predicted the future here... blew the fuse on the chip and the battery has light scorch damage on the wires. I tried to remove the components from the box to do some cosmetic work (bigger buttons carbon fiber wrap) and since i had to hard-wire the battery it was left prone to mishaps made worse by a stripped screw. So the box, battery and chip are beched.  The FDV box was cool and I like design, I wish it had more rounded corners and edges though and the finish sucked, you need to do more to it. I do not recommend hard-wiring batteries, I am rebuilding James with a venom 1300 35c (85*30*19.5mm)  this leaves room for plugs.  Maxamps is a great battery, but two of these venoms would have been the same price for 2600mah with plugs.  I am going to see if I can get maxamps to repair and test my battery, they seem to have excellent customer service, lets see how good.  As far as my chip goes, I am not skilled enough to remove and replace the fuse. What should I do here? It's an 80 cent fuse. I would like to save my $80 chip.

Nykademos said:

[QUOTE=ChunkyButt200]
very tasty! great job! hows the fire button in relation to firing, holding it? obviously thumb fired but is it natural, comfortable? maybe this one wont veer off the road and crash?

Unfortunately, you predicted the future here... blew the fuse on the chip and the battery has light scorch damage on the wires. I tried to remove the components from the box to do some cosmetic work (bigger buttons carbon fiber wrap) and since i had to hard-wire the battery it was left prone to mishaps made worse by a stripped screw. So the box, battery and chip are beched.  The FDV box was cool and I like design, I wish it had more rounded corners and edges though and the finish sucked, you need to do more to it. I do not recommend hard-wiring batteries, I am rebuilding James with a venom 1300 35c (85*30*19.5mm)  this leaves room for plugs.  Maxamps is a great battery, but two of these venoms would have been the same price for 2600mah with plugs.  I am going to see if I can get maxamps to repair and test my battery, they seem to have excellent customer service, lets see how good.  As far as my chip goes, I am not skilled enough to remove and replace the fuse. What should I do here? It's an 80 cent fuse. I would like to save my $80 chip.[/QUOTE]

yu could always used bullet connectors to save space. They would have fit with that maxamps 1850, in the enclosure you had.
12243784_10153059569690728_733977469_n.jpg 

epicwood said:

[QUOTE=Nykademos][QUOTE=ChunkyButt200]

Unfortunately, you predicted the future here... blew the fuse on the chip and the battery has light scorch damage on the wires. I tried to remove the components from the box to do some cosmetic work (bigger buttons carbon fiber wrap) and since i had to hard-wire the battery it was left prone to mishaps made worse by a stripped screw. So the box, battery and chip are beched.  The FDV box was cool and I like design, I wish it had more rounded corners and edges though and the finish sucked, you need to do more to it. I do not recommend hard-wiring batteries, I am rebuilding James with a venom 1300 35c (85*30*19.5mm)  this leaves room for plugs.  Maxamps is a great battery, but two of these venoms would have been the same price for 2600mah with plugs.  I am going to see if I can get maxamps to repair and test my battery, they seem to have excellent customer service, lets see how good.  As far as my chip goes, I am not skilled enough to remove and replace the fuse. What should I do here? It's an 80 cent fuse. I would like to save my $80 chip.[/QUOTE]

yu could always used bullet connectors to save space. They would have fit with that maxamps 1850, in the enclosure you had.
12243784_10153059569690728_733977469_n.jpg [/QUOTE]there was only room for wires and it was still real tight.  I was more meaning in regards to fixing my chip.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my first dna200 last night. Not my first box mod but my first dna200. Was a very tight fit. I feel like if i could fit this in here i can do about anything! Confidence level: 9000. :P Just waiting for my magnets to come in the mail today. 

Ive been admiring some of your concepts. Mine isnt very original. Its just an alpine g box with the biggest battery i could find to fit in it.

Comment and critiques welcome! 

IMG_20151231_092849_636.jpg 
IMG_20151231_092941_254.jpg

very neat and tidy work, I put the logo "built not bought on my secondary welcome screens" we are a rare breed, our mods as rare as hens teeth, lol, the g/boxes from stealth vape come with the magnets already fitted, but to be honest I like to seal mine shut tight, too much headache swapping the battery and I don't fetch the back off to run risk of swarf or anything getting in, (only a chosen few get to stick their noses in my guts lol)
 also i'm sure you picked up on it while building but you can get shorter 510s, may have helped square that battery up, every mm helps..

somthin.jpg 

So what size is the battery?  I built a 1590G and got a 1000mah Turnigy into it.  I kept the magnets but built a retaining bracket to hold the battery in place and a "sled" for the board so there are no screws showing on the face.  I don't plan on swapping batteries, but want to be able to get inside easily if something goes wrong, plus this way I can show off the guts, LOL.

awsum140 said:

want to be able to get inside easily if something goes wrong, LOL.

lamo,, i'm having visions of a very small person wearing a hard hat, fluro vest and flash light, lowering a step ladder between the board and screen and climbing down, saying  "yeh, hang on I know what that is"
don't take offense, lol,,