Let's see your 200's!

The one is the early version of the reference mod.

Differences:
- They didn't have the slight recessed portion all the way around the middle of the mod.
- The lower two screws set a little more proud.
- The screen was set back from the face further.
- The 510 was quite a bit different, but the same basic design/concept.
- The overall height was a little bit shorter.

DNA3.jpg 

DNA4.jpg 

DNA5.jpg 

DNA6.jpg 

Once you put an atty on it, it basically disappears....lol.

Oh yeah, very true.

I like the engineering of the Evolv 510 connectors, I just can't over the look though.  

I do see aesthetics lost to redundancy as the four holes aren't really needed, the air channels would work the same for tightening the 510 with the right tool, it's just the 4 holes, I guess it's a personal thing.

I make/modify some pretty good 510s myself although this could be considered bias. LOL!

I type like I've been drinking! LOL!

Podunk Steam said:

They didn't do too bad with these. I'm fairly impressed and that doesn't happen easily with me.
[IMG_20150927_144924_zps7fgk5eax] 
[IMG_20150927_105315_zpskbcy6jxl] 

Love the finish but not the fire button.  Also the balancing connector requires a bit of imagination for such a design.  JST connectors are great for PCB/board design but are not meant for frequent plugging/unplugging. 

Bapgood said:

The one is the early version of the reference mod.

Differences:
- They didn't have the slight recessed portion all the way around the middle of the mod.
- The lower two screws set a little more proud.
- The screen was set back from the face further.
- The 510 was quite a bit different, but the same basic design/concept.
- The overall height was a little bit shorter.

DNA3.jpg 

DNA4.jpg 

DNA5.jpg 

DNA6.jpg 

Very impressive

Love the finish but not the fire button.  Also the balancing connector requires a bit of imagination for such a design.  JST connectors are great for PCB/board design but are not meant for frequent plugging/unplugging.  

I may be misunderstanding this as some may think this is my build or design which it isn't.

With that cleared from my head I'm questioning the rubberized finishes all together anymore. I've noticed two very minor dings already that are showing aluminum. It's a thin rubberized finish.
The fire button I can live with and if the rubberized coating goes South this is a device I can refinish, fire button may get hacked if it goes that direction. Wouldn't hurt me any to get rid of the Hotcig logo on the back!

I don't know what the duty cycle is on a JST, time for some Googlage I guess. The USB should be good for 10,000 cycles from what I've read. 

Podunk Steam said:

I may be misunderstanding this as some may think this is my build or design which it isn't.  

No doubts or confusion about that. Basically you posted it first so I guess everyone is replying to your thread :)

I don't know what the duty cycle is on a JST, time for some Googlage I guess. The USB should be good for 10,000 cycles from what I've read. 

JST connectors are not meant for end usage, like I said earlier they are great for PCB designs.  JSTs are not convenient like USBs and it's not about usage cycle, it's about the usage.  Just a layman analogy - it's like using a hex wrench to open a philips head.

I never did find anything about cycles of use for the JSTs. Being as prominent as they are with the RC crowd you'd think the information would be easier to find. I may have been using bad verbiage with my searches as well. 

The supplied charger with the Hotcig has a class2 transformer rated at 800ma so my phone charger at 1 amp is a little better suited anyway. 

I've never seen or owned one of the original reference mods so can someone explain to me what's the deal with the 510 connectors on these mods? What is it about the design that makes it so much better, than say a FDV item, which is what I use on all the mods I sell including the 3D printed reference mod I've built?

Then the next question, of course, assuming they are as superior as people are saying will they be made available to us mere mortals?

Cheers :)