Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

VapingBad said:

I am 99% sure that it is because the charge IC does not supply that info for the main processor to capture, like the DNA 75.

I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the usb board being separate from the main chip, but figured since the usb board is doing the actual charging and communication anyway, maybe not...

First post.

Using a recently acquired vaporflask 133.

Running escribe in parallels 10 on a mac (osx 10.11.6). Using the supplied cable that came with the vaporflask.

First possible bug to report was present in the initial software (1.042?) when I first got the device. When changing the TCR value, it always resets to 0.006. Not sure if the value I enter is making it to the device or not. This happens every time I go to enter the TCR value, having uploaded the settings or not. This is still present in 1.2sp3.

Having the battery value/ charging issues, sorta-ish.

First I wasn't getting the battery meter displaying on the vf133, then in the process of uploading settings, it came back around.

Then, when uploading some more settings changes, it went away again. Multiple soft resets & uploads didn't bring it back. Let the device sit for a bit, came back to it 10-15min later, did a soft reboot and I have battery display again.

Charging seemed to be working fine through it all though. Until I'd just left the device charging for over an hour on an ipad charger with a cable that had been performing at 1.9x amps. When I left the device it was at ~22% or so and charging at 1.9x amps. Came back to the device expecting it to be fully charged, and it was at 86% and charging at 0.13 amps. While writing this, it's made it to 92% and was momentarily charging at 1.7amps, now it's fluctuating rapidly between 0.4xa & 0.7xa.

I've set my battery information correctly, from information found here and elsewhere for 2, lg h2 18650's.

No preheat settings seem to take to the device. This could be because they work differently than I expect them to, and I'm not terribly concerned with using the preheat settings, but when trying to set the values to see how they work, the device never reaches what it's set at (say 60w preheat @5punch for 2s, when I'm running the device at 38-44watts).

Updated VS a few hours ago and so far, so good with sp3. SS now is smooth just like the rest of DNA family. 
Went to check resistance on atomiser analyzer and after taking out the tool it continues to display some resistance there (like happened on the Efusion Duo), but in VS, when i put the tool it doesnt appear the ? like happens on Efusion. Maybe in that one i really managed to lower resistance to 0.002 and now it cant read that number.
As it is so good with SS now, we shouldn't use the Jaquith V7 profile, right? Or it continues to be ok even with sp3?

ok, so I've figured out how preheat & punch works, and it is being properly uploaded.

why no preheat/boost settings for the watts profile/material though? After a couple days of using tc across several tanks and coils, I pretty much know the range I like my volts and watts to hit and at what point. With a preheat/boost setting in watts mode I could dial in pretty close approximation to what I'm getting out of temperature protection mode, and would love to be able to use it in this manner with some ceramic coils.

@Yoseff My understanding of the Jaquith profiles, is that each was created and fine tuned for overall SS, as well as being very specific for higher/lower vaping temperatures one preferred. I'd suggest you keep that material file, upload the official Steam Engine file, and also just use the official TFR value (as a material).

Use the Temperature and settings that you are currently using but change out the material to 'the other' till all 3 have been tested by you (Give each a good couple minutes) .

Remove the other 2 from your material list.

Couple Notes **
There is a hard limit of material types on the unit, just can't remember the actual number.
You cannot delete a material type if it is associated with a profile

thisisfun said:

ok, so I've figured out how preheat & punch works, and it is being properly uploaded.

why no preheat/boost settings for the watts profile/material though?

The search bar is your friend. Some have proven this works, but while typing this I can't search it for you. 

Wayneo said:

The search bar is your friend. Some have proven this works, but while typing this I can't search it for you. 

Thank you for the establishing a warm and welcoming tone to the board, as well as the basic level of literacy (or lack thereof) that I can expect here!

You're either referring to me having figured out the how preheat works, to which your reply makes no sense. Or, you're replying to my question as to why there is no preheat/boost setting for watts/kanthal/power mode. A search shows for which shows is an oft requested feature, seemingly with no response. Other than the possibility that it could fry coils, which you have all the ability in the world to do with a 200w anyways, so why not include it.

So either your reply makes no sense, or indicates a level understanding that would make just plain not making sense be the preferable option for you.

Thanks for trying, here's to hoping that an adult chimes in here.

OK, I'll play the "adult in the room".

If you look at the top of the page you'll see "search" in the title bar.  Click on that and enter "kanthal, preheat" in the search for box.  You'll get a bunch of results.  To save you time and typing try this link https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65540-topic/?do=findComment&comment=884720

You'll find that many people on most boars have warped humor and can be, what is perceived as, sarcastic when they are just "poking fun".  That's the problem with posts on a board, no way to put in inflection or emphasis to show a fun mood.

@awsum

Thanks for your actual help, I had done more generic searches across the google for preheat and boost on the dna200, but not specifically putting in the magic kanthal word.

Still, this is a kludge...the question being why can't this be implemented in the firmware...

@thisisfun. You certainly know how to make a dismal first impression. I'm sure you have many friends.

First, if you notice the area I quoted, it was regarding your how to set preheat for a non TC material which you posted. But you lack the common sense to look back at your own request. Let me explain it to you as a 5 year old. Preheat for Kanthal works, or did up until this latest release, as others have posted. Hell, there's even an entire thread dedicated to it. So, it was your latter thought obviously.

You must not be an adult, because a clear coherent search does bring it up. Instead of being insulting, spend more time learning how to search, or even a Google 101 course would do you well.

Grow up kid.

Well after installing 1.2 on my Opus DNA 200 I am very pleased I do have to do a soft reboot to get my battery indicator back but with that said it's performing a whole lot different and with stainless steel it is excellent no comparison to before preheat set at 100 watts run set 65 temperature 530 D F 24 GA I have my mod set for temperature dominant and will hold a perfect vape and flat line on my Boresa shout out to everyone at Evolv

Just speculation on my part, but the DNA200 is a temperature controlled board.  It's primary feature is temperature control and therefor no real provision for "power mode" was included in the firmware and, my guess again, probably won't be.  There are a lot of decent "power control" mods available and I think Evolv was focused on, and provides, an excellent temperature control solution.  If I want to use "power mode" I simply use a device optimized for that.

The purpose of preheat is to raise the temperature of the liquid above the boiling point so vapor production can begin as soon as possible from the time the fire button is pressed.

Kanthal has no meaningful rise in resistance with temperature. We cannot sense its temperature. Therefore, we do not preheat it.

James said:

The purpose of preheat is to raise the temperature of the liquid above the boiling point so vapor production can begin as soon as possible from the time the fire button is pressed.

Kanthal has no meaningful rise in resistance with temperature. We cannot sense its temperature. Therefore, we do not preheat it.

i think he was wanting more of a timer type preheat. My e-Vic supreme had software that was timer based that you could adjust the wattage in .5sec resolution. You could simulate TC that way but it won't be the same as TC though.

Modbustersecig said:

Got a question I noticed 102 degrees board temperature DNA 200 when changing After doing the up date the cells are equal and it is showing. 95/.98 amp charging is there something I should check my other mods all Opus DNA 200 95 degrees is tops when charging room temp is 84 thanks

I've seen that many times before even when the room temperature is 68ºF. It especially gets up there just before the current starts to go down because it is almost fully charged. And I am still running the February firmware.

I'm having a moment of regret, admittedly the temperature protection has improved. I can now use SS with the confidence I previously only had with titanium. (I just can't get on with ni200). However there seems to be a cost in power mode, I never thought I would say it but at 45w my evic mini now gives better delivery than my DNA200s. I've had to up the power to 65w to reduce rampup, something that I have never had to do. Which brings me to some questions. Why has the internal resistance changed on my mods? Is this part of the firmware smoothing that has improved the response of temperature protection? I have 3 mods 0.003, 0.004 and 0.007. Checked regularly enough but are now 0.007, 0.009 and 0.011-12 Atomiser analyser won't actually register a constant with the copper tool screwed in and only then give a reading as the tool is unscrewed. surely my mods can't have zero resistance now? Is the board now compensating? How do I remove the old material profiles? The old preloaded steam engine profiles of ti, ss and ni200 can't be removed from the system. I've noticed that the ss316 profile is slightly higher than the previous steam engine profile by about 0.02. Reading into this (could be wrong) but this is now a generic SS profile?