Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

Updated my Vaporshark Vaporflask 133 to SP3. This is the new flask I got directly from VS during the labor day sale. No problem except battery meter showed zero, instead of soft reboot, I tried to upload settings back, battery meter was still zero so I pulled a battery and put it back in and it came back to life (battery meter came back on). I tested the charger and it is charging at 2a.

ChunkyButt200 said:

I also updated my VS VF DNA 133 to SP3 successfully. Also charging at 2a. However i will most likely be returning this flask due to it sounding like a baby rattle when i shake it (no, it's not the buttons). there are multiple "somethings" that are loose/broken off and free to move inside the mod. 

Chunky,

You might want to open it up and remove whatever is rattling around and/or disconnect the battery.

The USPS frowns on packages containing active Lion batteries especially if what is rattling around shorts out the battery.

Two cents,
George 

ChunkyButt200 said:

the VS VF DNA 133 is a removable dual 18650 device so it will be leaving my possession "sans batteries".

Sorry Chunky,

I didn't see the "VF" portion of your post.

I am just paranoid about USPS and Lion batteries. Here they always ask if their are any in the package. I don't know what happens if you say yes so I fudge and say no just some regular batteries to which they reply that's OK then.

Of course that was until I posted this and the NSA turns me in to the USPS. :eek:

HolmanGT said:

Sorry Chunky,

I am just paranoid about USPS and Lion batteries. Here they always ask if their are any in the package. I don't know what happens if you say yes so I fudge and say no just some regular batteries to which they reply that's OK then.

Of course that was until I posted this and the NSA turns me in to the USPS. :eek:

all of your outgoing mail is for sure going into the trash now George! blackballed by USPS, yikers!

ChunkyButt200 said:

all of your outgoing mail is for sure going into the trash now George! blackballed by USPS, yikers!

Chunky,

Believe me that thought has crossed my mind more than once when I was dealing with some early DNA40s that had the Lithium batteries in them. I had to return a couple to Evolv for repair.

The first time they asked if there was any hazords material of course I said no. Then she asked "and no Lion batteries", I nutted up for a second and said "gee, I don't know it is just one of those square kind of batteries", she said, "oh like the ones in a smoke detector" to which I pounced and said yeah I think it is one of those type". So she took my package and I used the same story on a couple of other repairs I had to send back.

The DNA40 days were kind of hit and miss. You either got a great Mod or a ticking time bomb (poor choice of words). I will say that when I sent one of those back I did go into the unit and if it had a battery connector I disconnected it and if it didn't I cut and taped the battery wires. The thought of a package I sent starting a fire... well at the very least I thought I would be 86ed from sending packages thru the USPS and if it did any real damage God only knows... "It is not nice to fool Mother USPS". 9_9

PS - I wish all LiPo pack Mods came with a power off switch or a battery connector. Every time I had to send one back to Evolv with the wires cut I was starting to get a little embarrassed and would send a note to Evolv's Service department explaining why I did what I did to the wires. 

HolmanGT said:

Sorry Chunky,

USPS always ask here too.  I have sent devices with batteries installed (and received devices with batteries installed) and when asked by USPS I tell them that batteries are inside the device and not "loose batteries".  They tell me that is OK and they ship them with no issue.

retird said:

USPS always ask here too.  I have sent devices with batteries installed (and received devices with batteries installed) and when asked by USPS I tell them that batteries are inside the device and not "loose batteries".  They tell me that is OK and they ship them with no issue.

Thanks for the tip "retird",

I will give that a try next time (God forbid) I have to ship a LiPo Mod. If I get 86ed I'll just go over to another post office and go thru my little con-job.

Just my personal opinion I would be more inclined to think a LiPo hooked to a circuit would present more risk (circuit failure and/or battery failure) than an unattached battery packed for shipping.

I seem to remember Googling this topic and don't remember what I found so I think I will give it another search today. fibbing to the USPS just doesn't sound like a real good practice. ;) 

retird said:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c3_026.htm#ep900090

Thanks retird,

I am reading thru it now. When I get thru all the if, ands and buts I let you know what I think.

I read thru the non-rechargeables. I like the part about making sure it is short circuit protected and not allowed to inadvertently being turned on. Both of those items are not easy to guarantee.

Anyway I'll get back to you on the re-chargeables in a little bit. ;)etird,

Well other than you need to be a lawyer to fully grasp all of what they are saying about sending rechargeable Lithium batteries in the mail it seems to me with all the words they used if you are shipping something that is mounted in the unit it was designed for or smaller than a LiPo Car Battery you are good to go.

As long as the package is a half pound or less I don't know why they even bother to ask if there is a battery in the package (for shipping within the USA). But again thank you for digging up the link to the information. Next time I will just say "yes there is a LiPo but it is in the device it is supposed to power up and yes it is turned off". (then keep my fingers crossed). ;)

I am just wondering about something I read. When I looked for the Escribe for the DNA75 and thought I had found it I downloaded it and installed it. It is version 1.2SP3. I thought this was the right version because it came from Evolve. Now I am reading that it is experimental and I shouldn't be using it. Well I don't know whether to keep using it or not. It seems to work fine. I am using it on 2 DNA75's and 1 DNA200. I haven't had any problems should I roll my mods back somehow or what. Like I say I have had no problems. Also if this is experimental when Evolve releases the final version what should I do.

2legsshrt said:

I am just wondering about something I read. When I looked for the Escribe for the DNA75 and thought I had found it I downloaded it and installed it. It is version 1.2SP3. I thought this was the right version because it came from Evolve. Now I am reading that it is experimental and I shouldn't be using it. Well I don't know whether to keep using it or not. It seems to work fine. I am using it on 2 DNA75's and 1 DNA200. I haven't had any problems should I roll my mods back somehow or what. Like I say I have had no problems. Also if this is experimental when Evolve releases the final version what should I do.

It first came named as "Early" software but I think when you download EScribe now from Evolv's web site that is what you will get... 1.2SP3.  Just keep on using it.....no need to change right now IMO

2legsshrt said:

The warning to not use it was shortly after it was put up here as a early (beta) version, some tweaks were made. Once it moves from the forum here and it hits Evolv's website enough testing time has passed and it's ready for prime time. :) Your good to go, keep right on using it.

Willy said:

The warning to not use it was shortly after it was put up here as a early (beta) version, some tweaks were made. Once it moves from the forum here and it hits Evolv's website enough testing time has passed and it's ready for prime time. :) Your good to go, keep right on using it.

Is Evolv able to fix bugs in software, or are they not allowed to do anything because of the FDA and August 8th deadline. How does that work?

Another thing I have noticed is I have a Therion and a Lavabox DNA75. I only use SS316L and I use the .csv file from SE on both. I have exactly the same settings on both which is 25w 420F. I only use a single coil so I use no preheat since it heats up immediately without it but the Lavabox will hold whatever temp I set it at without ever hitting Temp Protect but the Therion hits Temp Protect every couple of seconds which makes no sense to me. Why would it do that using the exact same settings and using v1.2SP3 on both. Am I missing something when I run Device Monitor they are both holding temp relatively stable. I am kind of new to the DNA but I love them coming from YiHi. For SS they seem way better to me. Oh I should add that my Triade DNA200 does just like the Therion with the same settings. Only the Lavabox doesn't hit  Temp Protect. I know it's not a bad thing for it to do that but I'm just curious.

I assume the coils used on all three devices are exactly the same ohm's?  I assume all devices have the "mod resistance" properly set for that device?  All devices with Evolv boards are not built the same and manufacturers configure them differently. With Yihi a SX Mini Q is a SX Mini Q.... every Q is the same whereas there are many devices with the only thing common to them is they have an Evolv board in them.. they can have different guage of wire, different 510 connector, different battery sleds, and etc.  

A minor adjustment in temp and wattage on the one device that is not reaching temp (to the point of flashing the message) should give you the flash...

In Device Monitor you can check the boxes for power, power set, temperature, and temperature set and then see how close to the temp you are for each device.  

Probably not the best explanation and could write much more but that's the short version.... 

If you want to post a screenshot of each device from Device Monitor while firing the devices (with the boxes checked that was mentioned earlier), we can certainly look at them and see what they are doing....