Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

Installed 1.0.34 from post 1 of this thread.  Norton Internet Security didn't like it so had to bypass Norton.  Details of Norton stated a very new software update and less than 50 users of it identified by Norton, and etc. so it deleted it before allowing it to reside on the computer for installation. 

Works just fine after install so far. Also has a firmware update when you run EScribe (2015/9/30)

Ran guick Norton scan after installed and 2 tracking cookies were resolved.  

Threat name:  Detected As:SAPE.Heur.A5AC7

First ever EScribe that Norton gripped about.  Could it have something to do with a contributed Italian translation?

From Quarantine:

Untitled.png 

Running a full scan now.  If I find something else then I will add it fere.
Full scan came up with nothing.  All is good and Norton just needs to update their stuff I think.

dc601, thanks for letting me know about this. I submitted a false positive report to Symantec yesterday. Today I received their response:

Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:
  3E7B7632B24E605A892E97FF25E7EE3C - UpdateES_2015_09_30.exe

The updated detection(s) will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

Heuristic scanners are along the lines of "I say neither" "Socrates says neither" ... Norton Security: "I has been detected as HEUR.Socrates". In a Venn diagram sense...
We had this happen with one AV when we added the Chinese translation, so yes, translations may very well be where it comes from.

James said:

I am going to post here firmwares a few days before they go on EScribe's auto-updater, for those interested in trying things early, and so if yall find a bug we don't release it to the auto-updater. We appreciate your help testing these. :)

*** 2015-09-30 EScribe ***
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/UpdateES_2015-09-30.exe (10MB online installer)

This version adds:
(1) the ability to change the Watts Increment (Theme tab),
(2) improved firmware updating stability,
(3) for programmers, the ability to control the buttons via serial commands, and
(4) a contributed Italian translation. Thanks RallyRace!

[CUT...]

James

Thanks James for the quote very kind !!!

Installed EScribe v1.0.34 and added the new stuff to the Dutch translation file (see https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65610-topic/?do=findComment&comment=886856) but noticed that a few msgid's were not (yet) implemented:

a. The msgid's of the 'nothing connected' error window
b. theme tab -> look and feel:
   msgid  "Watts Press Increment"
   msgid  "Watts Hold Increment"
   msgid  "How much the power setting changes when the up or down button is pressed"
   msgid  "How much the power setting changes when the up or down button has been held down for a long time"

Not a biggie but it would be nice to see this corrected in the next version.

I have updated to the latest software version, the september the 30th release, but I don't know how to show what version this is? Where in Escribe can I find the version I am on? 

As I have really looked through, but I can't seem to find the information. 

All help is appreciated, but I must say it is working fine on the newest firmware , apart from the OHMS reading. It seemed more accurate on the previous revision so I may go back-before it locked my coils at their correct resistance, now it sometimes changed the cold resistance to a hot reading for some reason, and then fires super hot due to believing the coil is higher resistance. 

I have to override that sometimes manually, so I may go back to my previous version as I still have that for stability. 

Conan, the version information is in Help->About, near the OK button.
If your resistance is jumping that much, your 510 may have a bad or dirty connection. If it is coming out of unlock, that suggests a pretty large change in resistance (over 25%), which should not happen with a solid connection.

@James - Just upgraded to 2015-10-20 EScribe 1.0.35' on my Windows 10 box and updated the firmware on my VS. Device Monitor crashes when I load it with the following message: 

************** Exception Text **************
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at N.pq.nf(Sm , String )
at N.pq.Na.A(String )
at N.pq.nJ(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Hi James,

Im using the early release software on a virtual machine. acer c720 with ubuntu 15.04, virtualbox 5, windows 7 guest. I updated to the latest early software release today and tried to flash firmware from 30/9/15 and it has failed some how and my vaporshark is now soft bricked. Theres a few more details in a thread I made https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/67987-topic/?do=findComment&comment=911790 My laptop sees the chip as PDJWBYRMCGLC[101] rather than dimensions enginiering. I am using the early release software because you added longer time outs or something like that which should help prevent this sort of thing happening. I do have access to a windows desktop but not till i get to work tomorrow to recover it the same way blueridgedog did by connecting to the pc and reboot with it connected. I was wondering if you might be able to look at the time outs or something to prevent flashing going wrong a bit more? I dont beleive the chip is entirely dead because it can be detected although not properly and the blue led works. The fire button does nothing else, no buttons do anything, no screen.

SteveAdams, your device is in bootloader failsafe mode. Let the virtual machine see that device with the serial number. Then go to Tools->Update Firmware and select the firmware manually. Normally updating firmware will automatically detect this other device mode, but in a virtual machine only the selected devices get to the VM, so it is unable to find it unless you manually enable that one.