Numbers of Failed VT200

Freshcut

JeffH said:

Vaporshark DNA 200 fail only works when plugged into escribe @.15 says ohms are to high will not do anything when unpluged. I try to get vaporshark to return my messages. BUT They Won't.

Powering only while plugged in to a power source is either a fuse or battery issue.  While in escribe, what to you see for cell voltages?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one that failed a few weeks back. Had it for 5 days where it worked fine, then it died mid-puff. Replacement arrived on 10/17, as well as a second one I picked up arrived on 10/19. Been using these exclusively since arrival to try and draw out any early life failures on these. So far so good with 5/3 days respectively on the units. Let's hope the one that died on the 10/1 is the only one.

I have to say I'm impressed with how low the apparent failure rate is.  Failures are to be expected with anything that is mass produced, what would be interesting to examine is what types of failures are people having (fuses or board issues or assembly errors such as failed solder joints).

I purchased mine on 8 OCT (SN#4622) and it has been a joy to use.  No issues so far, but I am far from hard on it. On Kanthal and NiChrome I vape at 45w, on Ni200 I vape at 60-80w 400* F.

It is with deep regret that I have to inform you that my vt200 has just demised! It was one of the first ones in the uk No1167. It was working perfectly, took a puff , it was fine. Topped up the dripper and hit the button..... Nothing! I will check later to see if it works on usb which would indicate a fuse blown. Not sure how long I can last without it! The ipv4s just doesn't cut it anymore. I will let you know my progress with getting it repaired/exchanged

Quick update, i phoned my vendor "vapegeek.co.uk" And have to say I am impressed! He said he would phone Hcigar and get a replacement sent out. Five minutes later he phoned back and said the replacenent will be here end of next week! Very impressed with the service! As I was talking to him I picked up my vt200 . Pressed the fire button and the welcome screens came on! Fired it and it is all working again! It is almost as if it went to sleep for half an hour and then woke up! Bizarre , I have the very latest software/firmware so not sure if this is a bug. But I am happy it is working again.

blueridgedog said:

[QUOTE=JeffH]Vaporshark DNA 200 fail only works when plugged into escribe @.15 says ohms are to high will not do anything when unpluged. I try to get vaporshark to return my messages. BUT They Won't.

Powering only while plugged in to a power source is either a fuse or battery issue.  While in escribe, what to you see for cell voltages?[/QUOTE]

This makes me really hope it is a battery issue-my Hotcig DNA200 is only workiing in escribe, and will only fire up to 4.5W, so I am thinking the solder job I did is what is causing the problems-as before this, it had battery errors, but was working.

I hope the replacement battery solves my issues, as Hotcig are not helping and gearbest is even worse.

Thing is, the battery is showing fine in escribe-perfectly balanced and fully charged. Thing is, the solder would not adhere to the lugs from the battery casing and was extremely hard to get it to adhere-so I think it may be the wrong type of solder for the brass pins.

Seeing as it failed completely when I unsoldered the battery to try another-it is most likely to be the battery isn't it? As I have done nothing to make the fuse go wrong, and on inspection it appears to be OK.

Nick said:

I'll chime in second in the interest of transparency.

Out of all the packages delivered yesterday we saw and serviced exactly one VT200. 

If there are any issues we are just as interested as finding them as our customers are, and working with manufacturers to resolve them. This probably comes as a surprise to many people, but we actively buy devices made with our boards, use, test, and take them apart when we hear about issues.

One of the other things we did yesterday was go online and buy a handful of mods, just like anyone else would. 

I have to ask a couple tough questions:

1. Do you actively call out manufacturers that falsify battery ratings? Because their battery is not 1300mah, doesn't this affect competition for other manufacturers that may be charging a little more for a true 1300mah device, also it works incorrectly with the battery meter if you set it wrong making your chip look faulty to a typical user.

2.  Saw this on reddit and I hate to spread rumors but I would certainly feel better knowing that you are also concerned about issues like child labor, plus little kids can't solder for shit. Have you guys looked into this?  
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/20eixd/the_sad_truth_of_hcigar/

lewisss said:

Quick update, i phoned my vendor "vapegeek.co.uk" And have to say I am impressed! He said he would phone Hcigar and get a replacement sent out. Five minutes later he phoned back and said the replacenent will be here end of next week! Very impressed with the service! As I was talking to him I picked up my vt200 . Pressed the fire button and the welcome screens came on! Fired it and it is all working again! It is almost as if it went to sleep for half an hour and then woke up! Bizarre , I have the very latest software/firmware so not sure if this is a bug. But I am happy it is working again.

another update . the same evening the vt200 started getting warm and went from 20% battery to 0 in about 1/2 an hour with no use.

plugged it int escribe and left it to charge for 2 hours.

in the diagnostics i set the usb currrent to 0 and removed the atomiser.

the voltage dropped from 3.5 to 2.75 in the space of 15 minutes with no firing! so there is obviously something within the board that is draining the battery.

i put the current up to .5A and thge screen went dead!

it is now on its way back to my suppliers.

fortunately my RMA from evolv turned up this morning so i am now happily vaping on my 2200mah ''brick''

I had 2 die in one day first one popped like spitting back juice mid vape and escribe wouldn't see it anymore. The replacement killed the battery about 60 puffs in and when I put it on charge it auto fired burnt out my tank and the battery got so hot I could hardly hold a wet cloth on it to cool it after it cooled it had warranty service screen. Tvf4 mini and vt200 on both.

Nykademos said:

[QUOTE=Nick]I'll chime in second in the interest of transparency.

Out of all the packages delivered yesterday we saw and serviced exactly one VT200. 

If there are any issues we are just as interested as finding them as our customers are, and working with manufacturers to resolve them. This probably comes as a surprise to many people, but we actively buy devices made with our boards, use, test, and take them apart when we hear about issues.

One of the other things we did yesterday was go online and buy a handful of mods, just like anyone else would. 

I have to ask a couple tough questions:

1. Do you actively call out manufacturers that falsify battery ratings? Because their battery is not 1300mah, doesn't this affect competition for other manufacturers that may be charging a little more for a true 1300mah device, also it works incorrectly with the battery meter if you set it wrong making your chip look faulty to a typical user.

2.  Saw this on reddit and I hate to spread rumors but I would certainly feel better knowing that you are also concerned about issues like child labor, plus little kids can't solder for shit. Have you guys looked into this?  
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/20eixd/the_sad_truth_of_hcigar/
[/QUOTE]So... I guess my questions were too tough? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine died Tuesday was on escribe because watts for preheat were feeling really hot all the sudden (starre ni200 coil quit during a burst put in New coil same thing) so was going to turn it down from 70 down to 60 changed it still seemed hot went to analyzer it said was hitting 100 w then dropping to 45 double checked everything disconnected usb made sure was on right preset got no atomizer signal tryed four different tanks no reading then it turned the screen off and would only come on with charger attached other wise it's dark if it makes any difference it's vape cige vt200 #3899 thanks oh I don't know where it was bought as I won it about a month ago in a raffle

I thought mine died when the ohms started jumping all over the place.  I had it on ohm lock too.  When I connected it to Escribe software it didn't read properly.  I did a hard reboot and that fixed the problem.  Guess it was just a glitch because it is working perfectly again.  Go figure :) 

• 6 months later...

I'll go ahead and kinda add mine to the list. My screen stopped working properly (would randomly update, or freeze just showing the idle screen even though it was firing) and then the screen just died completely. HCigar, even though it was advertised as having a 1 year warranty, told me to send it to Evolv. Evolv first told me to take it apart and make sure the ribbon cable was seated properly. I'm good with electronics, but was a little disappointed that I was basically told to try and fix it myself. After doing everything that Evolv suggested, they gave me a RMA number and warned me that if I needed a new battery that the battery would cost $20. I know the battery is fine, but whatever. I enclosed a note that if they couldn't fix it for less than $40, to throw it straight in the trash. At least my Reuleaux DNA200 is still working like a champ.

Wow that doesn't sound good Mordeth. And why they told you that you need a battery when you don't doesn't sound right either. They shouldn't be charging you anything, the screen is covered under warranty.

Hearing HCigar and other Chinese manufacturing companies not honoring their warranty doesn't surprise me one bit. Those warranties are completely worthless IMHO.

Bill, I think the reason Evolv discussed the cost of a battery (if needed) was to inform the person that there would be a charge if the battery was bad... that's all... I got the same information given to me when doing an RMA and my battery was still good but over 8 months old so I sent the 20 bucks with my RMA and told them to replace it anyway....Evolv only warned Mordeth that there would be a 20 buck charge to replace a bad battery IF NEEDED as the battery is not covered by the one year warranty.   As Mordeth stated:  "  warned me that if I needed a new battery that the battery would cost $20. "