Let's see your 200's!

Hello All. First post here. Just an amazing amount of inspiration in this thread! I have a couple of boards on the way and am very much looking forward to building them up. Going simple at first but planning on making custom wood boxes if all goes well. I have a fantastic supply of wood from my partner's slab wood and furniture business and look forward to taking advantage of that. 

Great work in this thread. 

Finished mine the other day. Finally getting around to posting.  Ran into a couple minor glitches. I learned a lot about building Mods on this one unlike the sx350 I built last year.  I call it the VIN ( vape it now ) version 2. I was planning to try larger batteries in it if needed but will have to move the 510 connection to do so. That will likely be the version 3.  Eventually I will build a permanent case for it. I am still working on the design and getting the tools.
dispview.jpg    batview.jpg  batview.jpg
needed to clean my lens

My first attempt at a mod! I have had three temp control mods, Evic vt ( kept jumping out of tc mode) Ipv4s good on titanium with 100 joules but 50 joules on nickel not enough) And finally cigar vt200. I was so impressed with the chip, but dissapointed with the battery life (about 8 hours) So I thought I would make one that I can use all day without running out of charge, and also one that can take a lot of abuse, (I am a builder, so it needs to be able to withstand some rough treatment and a fair share of knocks!) Battery analyser has returned 23.79 compared to 24.42 it should be for a 2200 mah battery so quite happy with that. At the end of my work day I still have 45% battery life and with some quite heavy vaping in the evening normally ends up with about 20% Not the prettiest, smallest or lightest .................. But nor am I

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Podunk Steam said:

They didn't do too bad with these. I'm fairly impressed and that doesn't happen easily with me.
[IMG_20150927_144924_zps7fgk5eax] 
[IMG_20150927_105315_zpskbcy6jxl] 

I really liked this better than any of the pre built mods and I love how the battery can be pulled off. But I would be using a external lipo charger that works off of the power off the battery not the balance charger as they cannot have much amperage going through the battery balancer. Lipo chargers need that only for battery info really. Also I want to see what it looks like inside the battery compartment. Such as what kinda battery and if I can put something better in it. Also would love to see them make the switch less ugly. Honestly the switch having those strange cuts makes it bad enough I won't get it. I guess I could pull it off and file it down to make it look like regular switch. I just don't understand why they made the switch look so bad... That is the one thing that killed this mod for me.

Them don't look 3d printed though I guess they could be... I have a 3d printed reference mod though it's the bigger one and I have an actual aluminium evolv made one ......I'm asking advice on how to get a good paint job to look like his......because I'm not thinking they are printed

scoopy said:

Bapgood. .....I was thinking of having my reference mod painted somehow. .....what do you recommend. ....any certain process or way to have a finish just like yours get done to mine

The tolerances on the Evolv reference mod are extremely tight!!!

Even with the Cerakote (which is a pretty thin coating). I have to:
- Mask out the button holes so the buttons fit.
- I use my lathe to take just a little bit off the OD of the 510.
- And be careful not to get too much of the coating on the backside of the halves where the two halves interlock.

I'm pretty sure powder coating would be too thick. I also think a typical rattle can paint job would also be too thick. Anodizing would probably be ok....but would require more masking than the Ceracoat.

If you're worried about the thickness of the coating a true hot bluing may look nice or parkerizing would be a means of a thin coating as well. The parkerizing is similar to anodizing and is used on firearms, one of the more durable firearms finishes in my opinion. 

Both process through a professional application involve some tooling and chemicals.