Titanium coils

MADMODDER

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad Scientist said:

[QUOTE=lexalove][QUOTE=Mad Scientist][QUOTE=lexalove][. . . Titanium dioxide is a known carcinogen which can cause lung damage . . .

You are spreading folklore, not science. The way the studies were conducted, everything is a carcinogen. I can design a study that will kill lab rats with oxygen. Should we say all over the internet that oxygen is a poison?[/QUOTE]
I think it's well accepted that Titanium Dioxide is a bad thing to inhale on a regular basis. Years ago people used to say cigarettes were harmless, but we know better now don't we. If you wish to take the risk that's fine, it's personal choice at the end of the day and who am I to tell you what risks to take with your own body.

I was giving advice to a fellow vaper. It is his choice if he heeds that advice or not.

[/QUOTE] I'm not trying to start an argument but it's not "well accepted" and in terms of the existing panic based on conjecture rather than facts among the general public against vaping, it doesn't help us if we ourselves add to it. This is another case of repeating something often enough makes it true. If you want to caution someone that the effects of inhaling TiO2 are not fully known and remain controversial, that's great. If you want to say some very poorly designed studies indicate inhaling ridiculously high concentrations of very fine TiO2 dust may be harmful, that's great. When you republish the garbage that it's a known carcinogen and causes lung damage, that's folklore not advice. As far as who takes what risks, you are reading something into this conversation that's not there.[/QUOTE]

No idea what that last part of hyperbole meant but you do what you feel is best. Inhale as much TiO2 as you want and be happy.

lexalove said:

No idea what that last part of hyperbole meant but you do what you feel is best. Inhale as much TiO2 as you want and be happy.

We're not talking about how much TiO2, if any, I might or might not inhale or what I do or don't do. I have not stated what I do or don't do. What I have stated is that it is incorrect, not to mention a bad idea, to run around perpetuating what amounts to a wives' tale about the effects of inhaling TiO2.

I did a google search on "Titanium vape wire safety" and found the following link. Judge for yourself...

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/3aidka/pbusardo_re_titanium_wire_healthy_safe/

I never did like Ni200 wire as it's resistance characteristics drift, coils build up to easy and it adds a funky taste. My Titanium builds easily last 3 or 4 weeks. I never got that from Ni200.

Typical actual study rather than "prevention principle":

http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/content/49/6/461.full

"The epidemiological investigations evaluated the mortality statistics at 11 European and 4 US TiO2 manufacturing plants. They concluded that there was no suggestion of any carcinogenic effect associated with workplace exposure to TiO2."

"The epidemiology studies investigated whether there was a link between increased incidence of lung cancer and exposure to TiO2 dust. In all the studies the overall conclusion was the same: ‘The results of the studies do not suggest a carcinogenic effect of TiO2 dust on the human lung'".

There are many more studies like this.

The thing of it is, we know that TiO2 is bad for rats but not mice or hamsters.  We can't do a controlled study on humans because that is obviously unethical.  European and US Health studies of TiO2 factory workers have not revealed an increase in cancer rates. From this it cannot be reasonably concluded that TiO2 is a hazard, yet that is exactly what was concluded by some international health organizations and then spread and repeated far and wide.

The bottom line is no scientific proof.  Yes, it might be dangerous or it might not be.  I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but I bristle when the same junk science gets repeated over and over long enough that the general public picks it up and repeats it over and over and low and behold, something with no legitimate scientific proof becomes fact.

Mad Scientist said:

Typical actual study rather than "prevention principle":

http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/content/49/6/461.full

"The epidemiological investigations evaluated the mortality statistics at 11 European and 4 US TiO2 manufacturing plants. They concluded that there was no suggestion of any carcinogenic effect associated with workplace exposure to TiO2."

"The epidemiology studies investigated whether there was a link between increased incidence of lung cancer and exposure to TiO2 dust. In all the studies the overall conclusion was the same: ‘The results of the studies do not suggest a carcinogenic effect of TiO2 dust on the human lung'".

There are many more studies like this.

The thing of it is, we know that TiO2 is bad for rats but not mice or hamsters.  We can't do a controlled study on humans because that is obviously unethical.  European and US Health studies of TiO2 factory workers have not revealed an increase in cancer rates. From this it cannot be reasonably concluded that TiO2 is a hazard, yet that is exactly what was concluded by some international health organizations and then spread and repeated far and wide.

The bottom line is no scientific proof.  Yes, it might be dangerous or it might not be.  I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but I bristle when the same junk science gets repeated over and over long enough that the general public picks it up and repeats it over and over and low and behold, something with no legitimate scientific proof becomes fact.

So you admit there is no scientific proof either way. Therefore me, you, nobody knows for a fact if it's harmful or not. So regarding vaping on a Ti coil that may have oxidisation on  it, why take the risk when there is no need to?

I advised the poster to bin his coil after he had an obvious hot spot, wire is relatively cheap, there is no need to take the risk no matter how small any perceived risk may be. Just wrap another coil, vape and be happy.

Don't perpetuate one myth by denouncing another perceived myth when NOBODY really knows the facts either way.

lexalove said:

So you admit there is no scientific proof either way. Therefore me, you, nobody knows for a fact if it's harmful or not. So regarding vaping on a Ti coil that may have oxidisation on  it, why take the risk when there is no need to?

I advised the poster to bin his coil after he had an obvious hot spot, wire is relatively cheap, there is no need to take the risk no matter how small any perceived risk may be. Just wrap another coil, vape and be happy.

Don't perpetuate one myth by denouncing another perceived myth when NOBODY really knows the facts either way.

Look, you said TiO2 is a "carcinogen and causes lung damage."  That's all I disagree with.  I think I've been crystal clear.

I never said I use Ti or don't.  I never said it was safe or not safe.  All I said is that the statement you made is not backed by the science, is nothing more than folklore, and it is a bad idea to continue to repeat it.

Your aim is, I believe, to warn folks that vaping TiO2 might not be a good idea.  Why don't you just say that?

Mad Scientist said:

[QUOTE=lexalove]So you admit there is no scientific proof either way. Therefore me, you, nobody knows for a fact if it's harmful or not. So regarding vaping on a Ti coil that may have oxidisation on  it, why take the risk when there is no need to?

Look, you said TiO2 is a "carcinogen and causes lung damage."  That's all I disagree with.  I think I've been crystal clear.

I never said I use Ti or don't.  I never said it was safe or not safe.  All I said is that the statement you made is not backed by the science, is nothing more than folklore, and it is a bad idea to continue to repeat it.

Your aim is, I believe, to warn folks that vaping TiO2 might not be a good idea.  Why don't you just say that?[/QUOTE]

OK Mr Pedantic lol, vaping TiO2 is not a good idea it may be carcinogenic.

So instead of all the diatribe why not just say it may not be carcinogenic, nothing is proven one way or the other, but it would be a good idea to bin the coil?

Is it normal for a ti coil to raise approx.1 ohm after break in? It seems that every coil i build will be rock solid for a day and then jump .1 ohm higher. After the jump it stays stable at that ohm and i have to adjust the temp and wattage to get the vape I like.... For example, i built a 28g parallel coil two days ago. 8 wraps at .18 ohm two days ago. vaped it all day at 55 watts 480f. Yesterday when I woke up it jumped to .28 ohm and i had to raise the watts to 85 and temp to 530f to get the same dense warm vape. Not getting any dry or burnt hits and has been rock solid since then. Anyone else have the same experience?

• 2 weeks later...

IllinoisPlumber, this is not right and it's not normal. The resistance can change a bit (0.01-0.02 Ohm) with tight connections and solid build, after some days, but no way to have such big difference. Something is wrong with your connections somewhere, check your 510 connector on the mod and your atomizer, coil, mounting posts, 510 pin, every possible contact. Also checking your build in Steam Engine, the correct resistance looks to be the .28, so probably you had a short somewhere in the coils and it was showing way lower resistance. Always use the steam engine calculator when building new coils, especially dual coils, and check if the resistance of your new coil matches the calculator result, before wicking and firing.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i'm new to titanium coils (been using ni200 for more than a year on a dna40) 

i built my 2nd Ti coil today and noticed something strange, i always have to intentionally raise (and locking) my resistance by approximately 0.03 ohms for the coils to work properly. i'm using steam engine's TFR (Titanium1)

Profile Settings:
370F
17.5watts
30watts pre heat (punch at 11)
steam engine Titanium1 TFR

using my Uwell Crown Tank, my first build was:

24ga
6 or 7 wraps
2.5mm guide 
resulted at 0.35ohms cold resistance 
had to raise it to 0.38ohms

second build:

24ga 
5 wraps 
2.5mm guide 
resulted at 0.22ohms cold resistance 
had to raise it to 0.25ohms

the coil doesn't give me anything when i follow its true resistance (hits TP within 1second), but after raising the resistance by 0.03ohms it suddenly works great

is this normal? or somethings wrong? thanks in advance guys! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
jj6404 said:

Has anyone else had success with contact Ti coils yet? I don't want to waste my Ti wire on a contact build until I hear some good cases. 

I have followed this guide and it works every time.

http://blog.craftvapery.com/joshs-definitive-guide-to-temperature-control-with-titanium-wire/

antyac2108 said:

Has anyone tried parallel TI coils. I'm thinking of doing some 24ga Parallel. Any thoughts on this anyone? Thanks much

Yep, works fine. I did a fused Clapton with a strand of 32 gauge Nichrome 80 wrapped around two straight, parallel strands of SSV Ti wire 0.5mm. Then did 5.5 wraps around a 3mm post. Settled in at 0.11 ohms cold. Note that this is a single coil. It would be too low in dual coil setup.