Titanium coils

MADMODDER

Asmodeus said:

Giving up on Ti, yup.  Been there, done that.  I recommend SS 316L.  It is as easy or easier than kanthal and grants all the benefits of TC.  I can taste titanium.  It's springy and annoying, even twisted.  And I can't burn it and clean it properly.  So... it's annoying to work with, I can't clapton it, and I can't clean it... 

I immediately stopped wasting my time with it.  

SS is certainly easier, and if you can taste the brand titanium you have tried, good reason to avoid it. But, there are versions of G1 titanium that are not hardened, and just as easy to work with as Kanthal. And with a proper TCR custom setting, it can be dry burned. So while I don't recommend it for beginners, or lazy folks, the debate is really, is it a better wire to use "health wise"? Many are allergic to nickel, and the jury is out on SS, though I use it as well. Titanium wire for vaping is something you'll have to research on your own, but from my own research I believe it may be the best so far, in regards to having the least toxicity to the human body, when used properly. For most, at least for now, the recommendation to use SS, is a good one. When not using a lazy pre-made SS notch coil, I still prefer using titanium over all the other options, then again, I've read and learned a lot about it over the years, and use it properly. Have fun!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I thought I had tried everything but using the preheat instead of no preheat at all may have solved the issue I had with roasting the cotton in the middle.  I've been using one of the same twisted 24g build for a few days now and no sign of any char on the cotton.  Kinda sucks since I like the heat to come on slow but if it works I guess I cant complain.  After using the premade coil heads for some time its nice to come back to the world of superior flavor lol.

On topic. The 316L I had was so springy that it was nearly impossible to make even dual coils out of.  The Ti was not springy whatsoever and stayed in perfect coil shape, its incredibly easy to work with. I just received the clapton 316L I ordered today and had none of the troubles I had previously with steel, i'm pretty happy with both now.

I agree that Ti does have a different taste to it, however in my opinion its not a negative.  I think it brings out the flavor in some juice better.  If it doesn't work with your favorite flavors best to just avoid it.  As for burning coils to clean them, I really never had good experiences with that. It always made my flavor a little more muted every time. Even back when I was building with Kanthal I would rather just make a new coil than try to clean them.

Anyway, Thanks KISS V. for resurrecting this thread, It gave me a little motivation to try again and so far it looks like it worked :D I like your American Psycho pic btw.

Dampy said:

Well, I thought I had tried everything but using the preheat instead of no preheat at all may have solved the issue I had with roasting the cotton in the middle.  I've been using one of the same twisted 24g build for a few days now and no sign of any char on the cotton.  Kinda sucks since I like the heat to come on slow but if it works I guess I cant complain.  After using the premade coil heads for some time its nice to come back to the world of superior flavor lol.

On topic. The 316L I had was so springy that it was nearly impossible to make even dual coils out of.  The Ti was not springy whatsoever and stayed in perfect coil shape, its incredibly easy to work with. I just received the clapton 316L I ordered today and had none of the troubles I had previously with steel, i'm pretty happy with both now.

I agree that Ti does have a different taste to it, however in my opinion its not a negative.  I think it brings out the flavor in some juice better.  If it doesn't work with your favorite flavors best to just avoid it.  As for burning coils to clean them, I really never had good experiences with that. It always made my flavor a little more muted every time. Even back when I was building with Kanthal I would rather just make a new coil than try to clean them.

Anyway, Thanks KISS V. for resurrecting this thread, It gave me a little motivation to try again and so far it looks like it worked :D I like your American Psycho pic btw.

Try Temco SS, it's annealed (soft) https://www.temcoindustrial.com/stainless-steel-wire-316l-non-resistance.html

Yeah, all the ss I have tried has been far less springy than Ti, both are good, IMO SS is easiest to work with for single strand (almost perfect) and Ni for twisted (low res need thin so wire won't suit everyone).  But when you compare ss and Ti twisted they are both too springy, for me least, but IMO ss is much easier than Ti twisted, but Ni is a breeze.

[QUOTE=VapingBad]Yeah, all the ss I have tried has been far less springy than Ti, both are good, IMO SS is easiest to work with for single strand (almost perfect) and Ni for twisted (low res need thin so wire won't suit everyone).  But when you compare ss and Ti twisted they are both too springy, for me least, but IMO ss is much easier than Ti twisted, but Ni is a breeze.[/QUOTE

Yes, Ti is springy, to springy for you to twist it to the tightness that you would kanthal, ss, or ni (that point of breaking which is a 1:1 twist). When twisting Ti I always do a 1:2.5-3 twist, if it goes too tight it will never coil up. I believe I said that in the original response, but I want to make that very clear.

SS and Ni both lose mass with extended use and I can usually taste an odd flavor when using them, I really don't like several things about Ni, but I won't go into them...

SS is horrible for TC IMO, before the updates SS would be all over the place as far as temp is concerned. Evolv improved the performance. I suspect that they decreased the poling rates.

• 2 months later...