Titanium coils

MADMODDER

Laguz75 said:

the 30mm vcmt stays pretty cool the bottom does get luke warm. But I'm still a amateur and vape just for the 18% nicotine. I have the temp set at 330f for some reason the higher the ohms the higher I set the temp. I do have 22g Ti wire I haven't tried yet I may try this weekend

18% nic???? what is that in milligrams, 18mg? the vcmt is a lung inhale tank so i know you're not mouth to lunging it. maybe i'm touched in the brain, but for some reason i'm thinking 18% nic is = to 18mg and is really high for lung hits. i'd choke then immediately vomit after one puff. i even have to pace myself with 3mg. so am i wrong? is 18% close to 3mg or 6mg or is it actually 18mg?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ChunkyButt200 said:

18% nic???? what is that in milligrams, 18mg? the vcmt is a lung inhale tank so i know you're not mouth to lunging it. maybe i'm touched in the brain, but for some reason i'm thinking 18% nic is = to 18mg and is really high for lung hits. i'd choke then immediately vomit after one puff. i even have to pace myself with 3mg. so am i wrong? is 18% close to 3mg or 6mg or is it actually 18mg?

yes it's 18mg I was doing 24mg but the sub tanks made it to strong and made me sick. I'm only a chain vapor in the morning when my body has plenty of nicotine I start to tapper off. I can't go lower or I'll just be chain vaping all day

And I do vape on the big bastards. the vcmt and the 30mm Goliath rda that's a quad coil. I'll go through a 10ml bottle in about 2-3days I do mix my own to keep the costs low

mikepetro said:

Thats what I have vaped since I started 3+ years ago, havent reduced my nic levels, but I do vape a lot less juice per day now.

It keeps the nico-demon off my butt, used to inhale cigars all day.

i hear ya buddy 1 1/2 packs a day in the past for me

mikepetro said:

Thats what I have vaped since I started 3+ years ago, havent reduced my nic levels, but I do vape a lot less juice per day now.

It keeps the nico-demon off my butt, used to inhale cigars all day.

inhaling cigars......my god man. i'm getting sick just thinking about that. reminds of the time when i was 12 and tried a 'dip' (chewing tobacco) for the first time and didn't spit the juice out of my mouth....down the hatch! i swallowed the tobacco clump as well. i remember how sick i was that day and how i couldn't stand up. i'm 33 now and can remember vomiting so hard in the woods by my house, the next day my eyeballs looked like brake lights because of all the busted blood vessels.    

Trying out 22g Ti with 5/6 .171 (4.34mm) coils .09ohms this setup seems to work pretty good for me still working on getting the cotton amount right

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble with my spaced ti coils. I can get contact coils to work well but I really prefer the flavor and performance of spaced coils. I've tried everything I can think of and haven't been able to find anyone else online with this particular issue. My coils are burning cotton despite everything being as perfect as I can make it. Strangely they don't burn at all when I test them dry, only changing color in excess of 470 or so. I left the temperature there and had a great vape for about 24 hours until it's burnt. This has happened with three different attys, I gave up thinking I wasn't dripping often enough or something. I got a Griffin tank and tried some spaced coils with the same result. I'll stop myself from writing a book about my frustrations with this stuff.. I usually run 50-60 watts at 450f-490f .10 to .16 ohms. ko gen cotton. Also tried rayon with the same results. My builds are solid, usually fluctuating .01 only in very cold temps this winter. I've tried the CSV included with escribe as well as from steam engine. Using 24g lightning vapes titanium 1. My coil ohms are accurate according to steam engine. I'm in the correct profile. Anyway I appreciate any suggestions I can try out. Here are some pictures of what it looks like after a day. My juice has no coloring added and is 90%vg.

IMG_20160321_135637.jpg

IMG_20160405_104744.jpg

IMG_20160516_164526.jpg

VapingBad said:

I think it is just the different way spaced coils spread heat, all coils heat from the centre out, but with touching coils the heat conducts to the next loop and with spaced it has to spiral around the coil just going along the length of the wire.

Idk it seems like if this was something that happens with spaced coils in general there would be a lot more talk about toasting the cotton in them after a day. I never got this with other materials stainless, nickel, kanthal. Maybe it is as you say but I've seen a lot of people saying how great their titanium coils are working, saying they last for weeks at a time and such. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong you know? I think the biggest mystery here is that I can power it up with dry cotton up to 470f and it'll barely change color, but if I leave it at those settings and vape it by the end of work the next day it's beginning to get burns.

First guess would be the juice, as noted earlier the middle warms the fastest and that will be were the gunk will start to form. That gunk will then cause that particular section to get hotter as it's now no longer cooling as well as the rest of the coil causing the middle to burn.

It makes sense the middle would heat up faster, they are definitely burning from the middle outward. I'm having a hard time figuring out how wet cotton burns when the dry test won't. If the temp control is working correctly it shouldn't go over burning temperatures regardless of the juice buildup right? At the very least the cotton even being slightly damp should prevent burning at temps in the 400 degree range. Unless the juice gunk is causing the temperature to spike somehow. Aside from that, this is happening really fast. Some of these coils have so little juice buildup they almost look fresh off the roll. I can't remember if I have tried different juices with these builds, I only started recording my results after this had happened a few times and became suspicious about it. Since then I have used the same juice for consistency. It's possible it is the juice. I suppose I'll have to try a build with something at 70 vg, I can't really tolerate lower than that, too much pg gives me headaches. I'm currently trying coil that's spaced a bit wider than i normally make. I'm hoping that larger spacing will let more of the airflow reach the cotton while keeping the heat over a larger area. It's a tossup but I've been trying for months to figure this out, and there isn't much I haven't tried. The juice is something that hadn't occurred to me yet, so thanks I'll give it a shot.

I'm guessing this is similar or the same as the black char stuff that typically forms on the coils after a week or so? It had occurred to me this might be the case. I don't have access to a microscope but once it's built up to where to has in my pictures it has a very similar kind of lung irritation to burnt cotton. It doesn't even seem possible for it to be burning so it's probably not. It might as well be burns with the level of irritation it's causing though. Any ideas on how to minimize this? I'd be happy if my wicks would last a few days at least. Titanium contact coils have had such inconsistent performance I'd like to try everything I can to avoid them.

• 9 months later...
Dampy said:

I'm having trouble with my spaced ti coils. I can get contact coils to work well but I really prefer the flavor and performance of spaced coils. I've tried everything I can think of and haven't been able to find anyone else online with this particular issue. My coils are burning cotton despite everything being as perfect as I can make it. Strangely they don't burn at all when I test them dry, only changing color in excess of 470 or so. I left the temperature there and had a great vape for about 24 hours until it's burnt. This has happened with three different attys, I gave up thinking I wasn't dripping often enough or something. I got a Griffin tank and tried some spaced coils with the same result. I'll stop myself from writing a book about my frustrations with this stuff.. I usually run 50-60 watts at 450f-490f .10 to .16 ohms. ko gen cotton. Also tried rayon with the same results. My builds are solid, usually fluctuating .01 only in very cold temps this winter. I've tried the CSV included with escribe as well as from steam engine. Using 24g lightning vapes titanium 1. My coil ohms are accurate according to steam engine. I'm in the correct profile. Anyway I appreciate any suggestions I can try out. Here are some pictures of what it looks like after a day. My juice has no coloring added and is 90%vg.

Turn the pre-heat punch down to a range between 3-6, also lower your preheat power. What occurs with space coils is that as power is applied to the coil. The metal torques, eventually the center of the coil will be a smaller diameter than the outer wraps. This causes your coil to disproportionately use the center of the wick. This won't completely eliminate this effect but it will reduce it.

Dampy said:

Idk it seems like if this was something that happens with spaced coils in general there would be a lot more talk about toasting the cotton in them after a day. I never got this with other materials stainless, nickel, kanthal. Maybe it is as you say but I've seen a lot of people saying how great their titanium coils are working, saying they last for weeks at a time and such. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong you know? I think the biggest mystery here is that I can power it up with dry cotton up to 470f and it'll barely change color, but if I leave it at those settings and vape it by the end of work the next day it's beginning to get burns.

Probably the best thing to do is spread the heat, increase the contact area between the coil and wick, consider 8 wraps at 450 F will produce more vapour than 5 wrap, or you can increase the gauge or use twisted.  Also if the liquid is struggling to wick to the centre it would be dryer.

The wire will heat from the centre out, anyway, try a big single loop, also the heat will sink into the atty at the terminals so it will never be completely even.   It is nothing to do with preheat in my experience, I would set that to 150% to 200% of your preferred wattage, punch high, I like 11, but just no need to go below 7 unless you like a gradual warm up IMO.

I actually gave up trying to get titanium to work lol. It was so fustrating I gave up building completely and have been using tfv8 premade coils. For the record I was not using the pre heat setting at all or it was as low as possible. Do you think that having it set so low somehow caused the coil to not spread heat properly? I was thinking about giving it a shot again, it would be nice to get it to work. I have thinner wire I can try with more wraps and play with the preheat setting.

I don't think the preheat would affect that, it just gives you faster heat up, more like smoking.   Try twisted with the thinner 2x2 Ti is nice IMO, twist 2 strands one direction then take 2 lengths of that and twist in the other direction, I use 32 AWG for that, it makes a very springy coil, but a lovely vape.  Oh and it need good terminals you can crank down.

The 24g titanium has put big dents in a few of my posts, that stuff does not like to bend like kanthal. I'll try out that build if I have the wire for it, I used to do something similar with nickel. I'm sure it will be much less annoying if it doesn't work, now that I have a tank on standby that I like.

Dampy said:

The 24g titanium has put big dents in a few of my posts, that stuff does not like to bend like kanthal. I'll try out that build if I have the wire for it, I used to do something similar with nickel. I'm sure it will be much less annoying if it doesn't work, now that I have a tank on standby that I like.

You can't twist it tight like Kanthal to the point that it snaps. Just before it wants to turn and buckle on itself when you let off tension.

Dampy said:

I actually gave up trying to get titanium to work lol. It was so fustrating I gave up building completely...

Giving up on Ti, yup.  Been there, done that.  I recommend SS 316L.  It is as easy or easier than kanthal and grants all the benefits of TC.  I can taste titanium.  It's springy and annoying, even twisted.  And I can't burn it and clean it properly.  So... it's annoying to work with, I can't clapton it, and I can't clean it... 

I immediately stopped wasting my time with it.