Mac Suppport

jesseseetai said:

so any updates on this?

LOL. They don't care about us, no point asking, just read the nonsense on the rest of this thread...

Time to put windows and a resource hogging emulator on your mac if you want to tweak your very expensive mod. Also, don't bother asking about firmware updates either. It seems evolve has ended development on the DNA 200 too!

dstroya said:

LOL. They don't care about us, no point asking, just read the nonsense on the rest of this thread...

Time to put windows and a resource hogging emulator on your mac if you want to tweak your very expensive mod. Also, don't bother asking about firmware updates either. It seems evolve has ended development on the DNA 200 too!

hum.......  Evolv cares........  

You should be able to easily find a Windows machine to tweak your DNA.... or you can do what many other mac users do....

DNA 200 is fully developed and firmware updates are given when Evolv determines they are needed....

My question to you:

Why do you feel a firmware update is needed at this point and what issues should it resolve? I ask because all of my DNA200's and 75's are working just fine.

retird said:

hum.......  Evolv cares........  Why do you feel a firmware update is needed at this point and what issues should it resolve? I ask because all of my DNA200's and 75's are working just fine.

As a staunch Mac user, I really wish I had the ability to 'like' this post, or better yet, upvote/downvote individual posts.

retird said:

hum.......  Evolv cares........  

You should be able to easily find a Windows machine to tweak your DNA.... or you can do what many other mac users do....

DNA 200 is fully developed and firmware updates are given when Evolv determines they are needed....

My question to you:

Why do you feel a firmware update is needed at this point and what issues should it resolve? I ask because all of my DNA200's and 75's are working just fine.

Another vote for "Mine work fine too."  and a +1 [Liked]

Windows doesn't bother me, nor does running VMWare Fusion. It's much better than VirtualPC was.  :D    

It seems like the firmware updates really aren't as important on escribe capable devices like they are on other devices that don't have the ability to add new materials.  Maybe that's just me. 

Another 'like' here also, 2 DNA200's and a 75 I'm very happy with.

As a Mac user I delayed getting into the DNA200, but when it became obvious that Mac support wasn't imminent I asked around and before long i had my first Windows machine,
a redundant Dell laptop that cost me nothing.

It would be nice to have Mac support but is it that big a deal?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
retird said:

My question to you:

My question to you is:

Do you like your new firmware with a smooth SS TC or are you rolling back to older versions?

dstroya said:

My question to you is:

Do you like your new firmware with a smooth SS TC or are you rolling back to older versions?

Yes I love the new software and firmware as they made my vape experience even better than it was with SS on the 200's and added the 60's, 167, and 250's to the mix....

The 1.2 version is much more portable than earlier versions -- a good 90% of the user interface is in platform-independent code, as opposed to perhaps 50%. As time has allowed, I've been moving more and more of the code this direction. Keep in mind though that time and resources are limited, and there's a lot more we're doing than EScribe. It'll get there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@blueridgedog
A huge thanks for the guide you posted. 

I fumbled about the first time I tried Virtualbox (VB) and got it right the second time -- when I read your instructions more carefully and did everything step by step. 

I've successfully installed Win 10 on my 2016 Macbook 12" running El Capitan. I have a Triade DNA250.

Just a few notes:
1) After I rebooted my Win 10 and plugged in the device, I had to go to VB's "Devices" menu, click on USB, and then click on the device. Win 10 then recognized the mod and so did Escribe. No problems or hitches.

2) For anyone who wants a walkthrough on the install process, I used this one:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/run-windows-10-on-your-mac-using-virtualbox-3621650/

It's missing one step after #6 -- VB will ask for the space allocation (which following the tutorial above should be around 32GB). So just set your space.

3) The Win 10 experience in VB isn't smooth. The VB "captures" the Mac's cursor. Sometimes there's lag time. Also, multi-tasking, at least on my Macbook 12, is wonky as well. I only have 8GB of RAM and I followed the recommended 4GB virtual RAM for VB. I'm not sure if that's part of the problem. 

4) Win 10 is pretty. I have to use it in the office and it has a decent interface -- much better than Win 8. 

• 2 weeks later...
Device Monitor screenshots are the best way to aid in troubleshooting. For those that might have forgotten, here's a quick reminder.

Print Screen for Mac Users;

Entire Screen - Command Shift 3
Selective portion of a screen - Command Shift 4.
Images will be placed on the desktop called "Screen Shot date at time"

• 6 months later...

My observation is that for the next 13 to 14 months (and especially the next 8 months or so) the question is  "does this help Evolv get through the FDA PMTA process." If it does then it needs to be a priority. If it doesn't, well, it can probably wait for a while...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GamulinAO said:

Any news about native mac support?

The underlying code already works on Mac and Linux, actually (the Downloads section's theme previews are being generated by EScribe running command-line on Linux, for example), but the graphical interface needs to be ported over.

As of today I've converted the last screen from Microsoft Windows Forms to our platform independent windowing layer. I work on it when I need a break from other code, so don't hold your breath, but I have been making progress.

• Like 6