Mac Suppport

• 3 weeks later...
blueridgedog said:

Some mac users are getting inexpensive windows tablets as a solution.  Personally I am just avoiding El Capitain for a bit.  I put it on one test system and like it, but am in no hurry.

This may be an old thread but I had to comment for the ridiculous wording... Buying a tablet is not a solution. The solution would be Evolv making software correctly, Microsoft Word or Evernote never said "screw other OS's". I accept it may take time, but you cannot use the word solution for that...

I am anxiously awaiting a mac version. I have tried the VM solution and have had issues getting it to even connect. But besides that I use my primary laptop for work and need to have a decent amount of HDD space for graphics and stuff. And since I have a machine with a modest SSD I can't always keep the large files around that I would need to run Windows on a Mac. 

Come on Evolv! We still love you!!!! Help out your OS X brothers and sisters!

Hammbone10 said:

well it seems the competition has beat u to it evolve mac versions being offered for most all other products 

In what way?

Unrelated, but slightly, I am more interested in a platform independent solution that can be run on OSX, Windows, IOS, Android etc than another silo solution.  

blueridgedog said:

.... I am more interested in a platform independent solution that can be run on OSX, Windows, IOS, Android etc than another silo solution.  

With all respect, escribe needs drivers and a connection to plug into. So you'd think it's worthwhile to invest in mobile OS's such as IOS where you can't make a connection to a phone or ipad, or android, same thing? Uploads/downloads.

I think the closest thing to satisfy your platform independence would be an html5 browser based solution.

Wayneo said:

escribe needs drivers and a connection to plug into

Right...platform independence will require additional changes, specifically a non-plug access method (bluetooth, wifi etc).  As long as we have to have a cord, I am ok with a window product as I already need a desktop or laptop.

To those of you who presume that it is a simple matter to port EScribe to Mac - it's not.

It is very common for hardware devices to lack Mac support for the simple reason that there are a great number of USB communication chipsets that have no Mac driver. It requires a completely different set of programming skills to write OS drivers - and in order to do so, you must have sufficient documentation of the chipset's low-level interfaces. Chipset manufacturers release SDKs to create drivers for specific applications. Evolve did not design their own USB chipset. They did what all hardware manufacturers do. They used an existing chipset, which provided a Windows SDK to create said driver. Lacking a Mac SDK for said chipset, Evolv is powerless to port their driver to Mac.

Furthermore, if their software is written in C++ as is the majority of Windows software (save for the .NET family), this presents a whole new set of challenges. It would require nearly a complete rewrite of the platform, and a different set of programming skills. ObjectiveC and Swift development is quite a different beast than Windows C++.

Could they do it? Were the driver problems resolved, something that would require the support of the USB chipset manufacturer, yes, they certainly could eventually. Should they divert their development efforts away from Windows to do this? It is likely an economically foolish decision to do so.

I speak as a Mac user, a developer, and the head of a development team.

I have principally been a Linux user and developer, turned Mac user for the past five years due to its BSD kernel and great window manager (all my Linux tools work and I get a well developed graphical environment).  Granted I run OSX on my own hardware so I have liberties that folks that run OSX on Apple hardware do not.  Coming from Linux it is a trivial issue to take a given program and back into a way to execute it on my operating system.  This thread is basically about how to get what you need out of Escribe using other operating systems and I do see that there is room for some advocacy for a native version.  In all honesty I don't see that need as much as others as I really don't need to run Escribe in a regular basis (once or twice when a new mod is acquired and then rarely based on firmware updates).

Escribe is really amazing and I get all the use out of it that I need running OSX and am happy to see development cycles going to advancing the chip vs parallel software development.  In the long run this type of software is trending towards mobile interfaces regardless (my kids and millennials in general assume that they can use their phone for everything).  The recent update also removes some of the need for Escribe in that the base materials that are likely to be needed are shipped with the board and the user can access them without a computer of any kind - which should suit the majority of vapers in that they want to buy and use a device much like one would a blender or other appliance and really don't have the geeky curiosity that would be satisfied with Escribe.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

just tried to do this with win7 guest and yosemite with newest version of virtualbox (5.0.20). got a "not responding" during firmware update. lost ability to power on the psyclone evo.

found the usb in hardware profile. somehow the product ID changed. tried to set the product ID and serial in virtualbox, however osx grabs it before virtualbox could so it stays greyed out no matter what. 

copied the vm to my fedora box host, set the product id , vendor id, serial and windows guest immediately recognized it and i was able to finish updating the firmware and it worked no problem.

after this happened to me, i noticed a bunch of people said it happened to them. Maybe there should be some kind of warning in big caps. 

• 1 month later...

Or maybe the best vaping chip on the market could support the best operating system. I avoid microsoft products and don't want it installed and taking up space on my mac just to tweak my mod... I think we've waited long enough, they're not even updating describe anymore. Months ago we were given the excuse that evolve was moving but that has long passed and still nothing. We DNA 200 owners now have to see that the SS regulation is much better on a DNA 75 and they don't even give us a firmware upgrade. Maybe they should leave the law suites alone and focus on their customers...

dstroya said:

Or maybe the best vaping chip on the market could support the best operating system. I avoid microsoft products and don't want it installed and taking up space on my mac just to tweak my mod... I think we've waited long enough, they're not even updating describe anymore. Months ago we were given the excuse that evolve was moving but that has long passed and still nothing. We DNA 200 owners now have to see that the SS regulation is much better on a DNA 75 and they don't even give us a firmware upgrade. Maybe they should leave the law suites alone and focus on their customers...

Valid points.
If Evolv had no plans whatsoever to release a Mac version of escribe, or they could not do it for whatever reasons, I would be totally fine with that and I'll keep using VirtualBox. Its the fact that they told us they were planning on doing it months and months ago. I would rather just know whats going on straight up rather than waiting and hoping. Unless they have said they aren't releasing it and I missed that info. 
As for escribe updates, I've been wondering whats going on too as its been a while.