Therion 75C batterry draining

Alex_

I am experiencing the same issue, I have been speaking with Evolv customer service who kindly offered a board warranty replacement as my device is suffering from the same issues as you describe. Maybe give Evolv a shout and see if they can help you out.

With any luck Evolv may release a fix for this, as the more people who report the battery usage issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

i started experiencing the same problems only recently. in the past i've been getting a days use with no problems but just in the past two weeks the battery drains even when i'm not using the device. was previously using 2 x Sony VTC5A's and have just replaced them with 2 x Sony VTC6's today and the performance has been even worse.

i've updated the battery profile and i've changed the screen on display time, but up until about two weeks ago it was running like a champ with no issues. the mod is about 4 months old.

today i've had to charge up the batteries in the middle of the day as they were less than 20%.

i'd love to hear from anyone else in the same situation and if anyone finds a fix.

cheers, wizdude.

Same issue with Therion 75C BF.

I've started experiencing the same problem only two days ago (for two consequent charges). Battery level dropped from 60% to 1% overnight. I've removed a battery hoping that maybe the board was reading charge level incorrectly, but it wasn't a case (battery was actually drained).

Interestingly, it was fine for ~10-15 charge-discharge cycles and just now it started to acting up. Battery is(was) fresh and tested (Sony VTC6).

Guys, correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand, it should be a software issue. So, is it possible to do some kind of hard factory reset on 75C board? Sorry for stupid questions, I am kind of new at this stuff.

Welcome to the forum :hand_splayed:

Somehow I can't believe this is a software issue. A BF environment can be a relatively hostile environment for any mod, even with a conformal (protection against moisture) coating like these have.

Other users have blown out their mods and expelled leaked ejuice, and after cleaning all exposed areas (Isopropyl alcohol), found that their mods worked fine again. YMMV. 

Yes, it's possible to do a hard reset, but I wouldn't do that at all

Edited by Wayneo
Don't do Hard Reset

1 hour ago, Wayneo said:

Welcome to the forum :hand_splayed:

Somehow I can't believe this is a software issue. A BF environment can be a relatively hostile environment for any mod, even with a conformal (protection against moisture) coating like these have.

Other users have blown out their mods and expelled leaked ejuice, and after cleaning all exposed areas (Isopropyl alcohol), found that their mods worked fine again. YMMV. 

Yes, it's possible to do a hard reset, but I wouldn't do that at all

Good suggestion. I'll try cleaning it, although, all contacts seems to be bone dry (well except atomizer-510 contact :) ).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody found a fix for this yet as my second Therion BF has just started draining batteries. It has killed one battery altogether by draining it from 50% to dead overnight, Im sure there should be something in place to stop it doing that. 

I cant believe how flaky the 75c board is when compared to the older versions. I have found the 75c to be nothing but problems. out of the 4 75c devices I have bought none of them are in regular use because they are unreliable and now with the battery draining issue they are potentially dangerous.

9 minutes ago, wintergreen said:

Has anybody found a fix for this yet as my second Therion BF has just started draining batteries. It has killed one battery altogether by draining it from 50% to dead overnight, Im sure there should be something in place to stop it doing that. 

I cant believe how flaky the 75c board is when compared to the older versions. I have found the 75c to be nothing but problems. out of the 4 75c devices I have bought none of them are in regular use because they are unreliable and now with the battery draining issue they are potentially dangerous.

You might just start a ticket with Evolv and let them address this with you.... just explain the issue with each device and let them guide you on each device.... should more than one device be needed to be shipped to them you could ship them in one box to save on shipping costs.... not sure the board is the issue as BF's seem to be somewhat different since they are bottom feeders (squonkers).....

Link    https://helpdesk.evolvapor.com/index.php?a=add&category=1

1 hour ago, wintergreen said:

I have 4 75c devices...1 purchased & 3 I built...1 has over 30,000 puffs & 1 over 40,000...haven't had any major issues...really enjoy this board!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-12-04 at 9:09 AM, andrewmic said:

Same issue with Therion 75C BF.

I've started experiencing the same problem only two days ago (for two consequent charges). Battery level dropped from 60% to 1% overnight. I've removed a battery hoping that maybe the board was reading charge level incorrectly, but it wasn't a case (battery was actually drained).

Interestingly, it was fine for ~10-15 charge-discharge cycles and just now it started to acting up. Battery is(was) fresh and tested (Sony VTC6).

Guys, correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand, it should be a software issue. So, is it possible to do some kind of hard factory reset on 75C board? Sorry for stupid questions, I am kind of new at this stuff.

An update:

I've tried cleaning this mod, restored it to default theme, restored default settings, applied latest service pack. It didn't help. Mod still drains my battery (100 to 60% in about 24 hours). Nor mod, or battery is heating up while idle (according to escribe, board temp. is 26 cel., while room temp. - 22).

I've also noticed some strange behaviour from the board, so guys, please confirm is it normal for DNA75C. When battery is removed, time and date restores to default (2000-01-01 00:01) immediately.

EDIT: also, mod can't connect to PC with battery removed.

Edited by andrewmic

17 minutes ago, andrewmic said:

I've tried cleaning this mod, restored it to default theme, restored default settings, applied latest service pack.

Did you read the post just before yours? Worth a try.

On 2017-12-31 at 6:34 AM, dsp said:

I installed another theme and so far the draining has been gone it seems (mine came with DJLsb Vapes theme installed)

I tend to agree with the notion that it could be theme related. I've designed a fair few themes that have produced lag due to image loading issues, so its reasonable to surmise that buggy themes could negatively effect battery life.

24,000 puffs on one of my 75C's and no draining other than from just normal use, that on some tired LG's. Funnily enough, just retired those today with new VTC6's, so will keep an eye on them.

Most anything with a PCB (circuit board) has ceramic capacitors these days. These MLCC capacitors are notorious for failing due to a wide variety of situations, but mainly heat and mechanical stress (drops) are the big two causes. This type of failure is common to everything from our vape devices to cell phones and everything in between. These ceramic caps can fail full short to partial short. It sounds to me like you may have a cap on the batt rail that is partially shorted to ground. I suspect a lot of these "my device drains cells when idle" or "my device gets hot when idle" could be this very problem. No fault of Evolv's, it just the nature of electronics. That's where Evolv's or the manufacturers warranty comes into play.

Failed MLCC cap circled in red.......

DNA75 failed MLCC.png

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
Il 10/1/2018 in 00:50 , ChunkyButt200 ha scritto:

Most anything with a PCB (circuit board) has ceramic capacitors these days. These MLCC capacitors are notorious for failing due to a wide variety of situations, but mainly heat and mechanical stress (drops) are the big two causes. This type of failure is common to everything from our vape devices to cell phones and everything in between. These ceramic caps can fail full short to partial short. It sounds to me like you may have a cap on the batt rail that is partially shorted to ground. I suspect a lot of these "my device drains cells when idle" or "my device gets hot when idle" could be this very problem. No fault of Evolv's, it just the nature of electronics. That's where Evolv's or the manufacturers warranty comes into play.

Failed MLCC cap circled in red.......

DNA75 failed MLCC.png

I think I have the same problem with my therion 75c bf. the box has already been repaired by the service center that found a shorted capacitor. after a month of correct functioning the problem has arisen again and given the symptoms I think it's the new fault of the condenser in question. I looked at the component but I did not find codes, someone knows the correct value of capacity? sorry for my bad english

I was just going to chime in to say I have been down this road, and then I find you guys have my photos!! That burned chip photo posted above is my therion75bf (In fact I am sitting at that same table as I type this with its replacement a Thereon 75C BF right next to me). In the case of that one the mod would get noticeably warm all by itself and run the battery flat in 4-5 hours. I bought that one used, and the consensus was that juice must have gotten down into the board and shorted that cap. Evolve at the time told me this is a relatively common problem when they get leaks (and BOTH of my therions are perpetually leaky in the battery sled).

In any event, I was told at the time that I could send it in and apparently evolve is pretty good about warranty claims for this sort of thing, but I am in England and the shipping alone made it cheaper to just replace the board myself. So thats what I did.

• Like 1

@pierlu78 It's almost impossible to measure capacitance with the component still in circuit. Best bet is to remove a "known good" capacitor from the same area of the board (as it is unlikely both side-by-side caps failed), measure it's capacitance and size then go from there. The package size is most likely "1206" as for the rated capacitance, i don't know. You could just remove the damaged capacitor and see how the board behaves with just one capacitor. My guess is it wouldn't hurt. This theory only applies to either the 2 caps at the top (OUT) of the board or the 2 caps i have circled in red. 

Shipping the board back to Evolv, for repair/replacement is too costly? I only condone working on boards if shipping the damaged board to Evolv is very expensive. EX.  People over-seas.