Dna 250c

Zaptear

24 minutes ago, KGB7 said:

Just saw a review for a new mod;  Asmodus Lustro. Color touch screen,  gestures control and ......a usb-c port... $80.

Evolv needs to step up its game.

I'd rather have the new evolv replay feature over hands free gestures any day. But I do lust for usb-c

2 hours ago, 67exec said:

I'd rather have the new evolv replay feature over hands free gestures any day. But I do lust for usb-c

I don’t care about gestures or touch screen. Point is, other companies are ahead of Evolv for less money. I don’t even need 200w or 150w. Yet we can’t get a usb-c port from a leading vaping chip maker in 2018. 

• Like 1

My best guess is that this board is basically a 4s capable dna75c. That's what Brandon insinuated in the interview with Daniel. Even though I've complained heavily about the choice to use micro usb, I have yet to see a usb-c powerbank when walking into a wally world or other chainstore. All of them I see still use micro usb to charge

Edited by 67exec

12 hours ago, 67exec said:

My best guess is that this board is basically a 4s capable dna75c. That's what Brandon insinuated in the interview with Daniel. Even though I've complained heavily about the choice to use micro usb, I have yet to see a usb-c powerbank when walking into a wally world or other chainstore. All of them I see still use micro usb to charge

I don't even know what Wally World is.  And there are multiple companies that make power banks with USB-C for almost a year. Not sure what Evolv has to do with power banks in the first place.

Wal-mart, target, various other stores of that type. As of last weekend, I haven't seen a usb power Bank for sale in one of those stores that has a usb-c. What this has to do with evolv is making a comparison to show that type-c isn't as mainstream as we all would like it to be. 

3 hours ago, 67exec said:

Wal-mart, target, various other stores of that type. As of last weekend, I haven't seen a usb power Bank for sale in one of those stores that has a usb-c. What this has to do with evolv is making a comparison to show that type-c isn't as mainstream as we all would like it to be. 

I just looked at Walmart website and they have A LOT of usb-c products, 50 pages worth.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?page=50&query=usb-c#searchProductResult

Target also has usb-c products for sale.

I still don’t see what it has to do with power bank. If you want one that badly, buy it from Amazon or BestBuy.

Your not getting it. It's just a comparison. Plus, in your Wal-Mart search, how many of those were carried "in-store"? The point of the comparison is just that the micro usb isn't completely written off. Evolv isn't the only company that keeps choosing to implement it. I'm totally pro type-c, just showing the other side of the proverbial coin

On 2/16/2018 at 3:17 PM, 67exec said:

Your not getting it. It's just a comparison. Plus, in your Wal-Mart search, how many of those were carried "in-store"? The point of the comparison is just that the micro usb isn't completely written off. Evolv isn't the only company that keeps choosing to implement it. I'm totally pro type-c, just showing the other side of the proverbial coin

There is not enough space in the store to sell everything. So don’t nitpick.

i have one device that uses micro usb, a Vaping mod. And I use that port once a month to charge the batteries in emergency situations while I’m driving. Further more, I have to keep a micro usb cable in my car just for my Vaping device. 

Cell phones and laptops are using usb-c, not all, but they are moving in that direction.

Evolv can stay in the past or move in to the future with the rest of the world.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KGB7 said:

There is not enough space in the store to sell everything. So don’t nitpick.

i have one device that uses micro usb, a Vaping mod. And I use that port once a month to charge the batteries in emergency situations while I’m driving. Further more, I have to keep a micro usb cable in my car just for my Vaping device. 

Cell phones and laptops are using usb-c, not all, but they are moving in that direction.

Evolv can stay in the past or move in to the future with the rest of the world.

For the most part I would agree with you, however a lot of us vapers that would be interested in the new 250c, probably have several other legacy DNA mods (I have 3) which I often switch between for various reasons. On your example, I would now need 2 different cables for my mods alone and that’s not counting the lightning cable for my phone. There are multi cables available to resolve this, but while they would solve the issue for me, they would do the same for you and many other people. Unfortunately mentioning them kind of renders our points moot.

• 3 weeks later...

So here we at in march still waiting for a device rumored last summer, confirmed before thanksgiving, all but promised by Christmas and now nothing but silence...  Well, one thing for sure, marketing hype in the vaping world hasn't changed much in the last 9 years.....

So I'm staring at this post for almost 2 weeks now and looking at "what's the big deal about USB C"?

I'll take the bait....  I think a lot of you missed the point- it's not about the USB C cable/connector, it's all about USB Power Distribution  ( USB PD) at higher voltages and currents - which happens to require  a USB C cable/connector.  Just because a device has a USB C connector doesn't mean it's capable of providing or taking advantage of USB PD. 

Because many of you clearly haven't read the PD spec,  understand that PD is a protocol for negotiating and delivering power to/from a device.  The operative word here is negotiating. Take a look at the main page of the specs for USB PD http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/  (just the cover page)

Note the first bullet - "UP TO 100W charging" - Point being even if we have USB C and  USB PD we would need a high power supply AND a device that is capable of accepting that power.

For example G-Class SX has a USB C connector. it only works at 5V/2A..... cool i can charge my Samsung phone and my SX on the same cable but i still need 2 damn cables because it takes forever to charge......  I don't know if the SX supports PD 2.0  or not (and it doesn't matter) - I do know from the data sheet  that it only supports up to 5V and 2A.  Point being in this scenario USB C does nothing and  a 100W USB PD charger would still deliver 5v/2A....  In this case I would agree that it's much ado about nothing.

Most of us (OP most probably  an exception) would welcome the ability to not have to remove/handle/carry spare LIPOs (or any other batteries)  around IF we could get a rapid charge (i.e. 1/2 an hour) up to 80% of charge- in a perfect world where you could plug a 80W or 100W charger in your cigarette lighter, or carry a little i-phoneish mini-brick around with you, it could work.  And then USB C (with PD) would matter.

Reality check- I haven't seen any truly portable 100W USB PD chargers.. and think about that 5A fuse on your cigarette lighter (good luck getting 100W out of that)....

Net:A device that can support USB PD at higher voltage and current would be a game changer for many but there's a lot of external stuff that needs to be resolved before it makes a difference.

So I agree- USB C in and of itself is a nothing burger.

Edited by jimho

Yeah but  USB C is just the connector spec nothing more, take devices like the Sony Xperia XZ it has USB C and none of that it is just USB 2 with a different plug, now if you had said lets have USB 3 then that would have meant more to me.  I agree that the USB 3 power spec would be a very nice to have.

BTW on the topic of this thread, thought I would share how awesome 400 W preheat is this is a screen shot of me vaping a pair of SS UD staggered fused claptons on a DNA 250C.  Preheats at 400 W then gradually reduces to 57 W once the coils have got going. Virtually instant full vape and no after boil when you stop.  If I were using VW or VV I would have to set the wattage at 60 W to not over cook the liquid, but then it would take an age to start producing vapour or set the power high enough to get vapour quickly enough and suffer over cooking and after boiling.

400w ph.png

This was the first puff, nothing unusually about it just plugged in and vaped on my normal settings.

ETA

material = stock SS316 wire profile, ph = 400 W, punch = 9

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, VapingBad said:

Yeah but  USB C is just the connector spec nothing more, take devices like the Sony Xperia XZ it has USB C and none of that it is just USB 2 with a different plug, now if you had said lets have USB 3 then that would have meant more to me.  I agree that the USB 3 power spec would be a very nice to have.

Correct on the connector. I think you mean power delivery spec  USB PD 3.0 which is not the same specification as the USB spec (2.0,  3,  3.1, 3.1 Gen 2, or 3.2). All of which support USB PD 3.0...  But that still wouldn't matter because the USB PD 3.0 spec defaults to  5V@2A and allows for negotiation of 12V@1.5A, 12V@3A, 20V@3A and 20V@5A-  The device would have to support a PD profile at 20V/3A  or 20V/5A  - and  20V/5A is only supported by USB C.  The only technical reason you would care about USB C vs B-Micro (assuming your cable/connector is compliant) is if your device tries to negotiate 20V/5A - everything else is just convenience i.e. not having to flip your connector over 3x or not having another type of cable..

På 12.3.2018 den 4.50, Frogmod skrev:

What do you guys think? My 18650 boxer clone. I only had internet pics to go off of. Right now I’m printing it before I upload it to shapeways. A 21700 version is in the works.

5BC68170-BC52-44CF-9496-3AE90A0C7C9F.png

37237B61-1299-4F33-AFD9-5A1919127F8F.png

8F7394CF-2A1E-4EAE-9DD2-097041B1648A.png

This is looking daim good. When it comes in triple 21700, I will order one for sure. Great job man👍👍👍👏👏👏

On 3/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Frogmod said:

What do you guys think? My 18650 boxer clone. I only had internet pics to go off of. Right now I’m printing it before I upload it to shapeways. A 21700 version is in the works.

5BC68170-BC52-44CF-9496-3AE90A0C7C9F.png

37237B61-1299-4F33-AFD9-5A1919127F8F.png

8F7394CF-2A1E-4EAE-9DD2-097041B1648A.png

Frogmod, what happened to your reference mods on Shapeways, the DNA 250C is finally out, so I go to order a print, and they are gone!

Was hoping you would post one to shapeways as a 30MM reference mod, but not as tall as the one for the MaxAmps 1850MaH, one normal height but able to accept 30MM and hold the MaxAmps 1300MaH 4S, let me know, was ready to order and now they are all gone =(

On 3/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, Halvor said:

This is looking daim good. When it comes in triple 21700, I will order one for sure. Great job man👍👍👍👏👏👏

How about a DUAL 21700 instead of the 3 cell? Would have form factor of about the Hcigar VT75D, nice and small in hand, I would order immediately from shapeways....