Linux EScribe Suite Beta Thread

On 6/5/2018 at 2:19 AM, Llama said:

Hi, and first of all, huge kudos for working on a Linux version of Escribe !

But I couldn't get it to work on Arch yet, both with the snap or the aur package, here's what I'm getting:

→ escribe-suite     
Initializing UNIX (GTK)...
Benchmark: Settings took 22.258 ms.

Benchmark: Register took 15.7947 ms.

then nothing, the process is still running but nothing happens, I have to ctrl+c out. Tried this as root and a regular user, with the same result.

Have you tried with the official .RUN file that James uploaded? Works great for me on Fedora 28.

I didn't run it as root (so it doesn't get installed into my root directory) but rather authorized the superuser access when I connected the device and everything seems to be working.

Edited by engmia

Le 08/06/2018 à 16:58, engmia a dit :

Have you tried with the official .RUN file that James uploaded? Works great for me on Fedora 28.

I didn't run it as root (so it doesn't get installed into my root directory) but rather authorized the superuser access when I connected the device and everything seems to be working.

Yup the .RUN file is what I call the snap package. But I'm OK now, as I did a fresh Arch install for another reason, and it works fine now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ran perfectly fine on Arch for me after installing gtk-sharp-2 and mono-5. The only issue that I had was with the installer. For some reason the installer was gigantic, and It wasn't able to be resized. Other than that, I appreciate the linux version. Escribe was one of 2 things keeping me on Windows, thankfully they are both now Linux native. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 5:43 AM, James said:

... it turns out I accidentally broke moving controls in Theme Designer on Linux SP15.1. Will be releasing a fix this week. 

Looking forward to this. Any attempt to rearrange things causes the program to crash. Annoying, and makes the software unusable....

Il y a 8 heures, Ak89 a dit :

Looking forward to this. Any attempt to rearrange things causes the program to crash. Annoying, and makes the software unusable.... 

Same here !... still thanks much for this port.

(installed on Debian Sid [Buster] and Debian 9.4. Have not tested everything yet, but seems to work pretty well... except for editing themes in Theme designer)

• 2 weeks later...

Another BIG thanks for having a Linux version! Awesome! Just another +1 that I also experienced the issue with SP15.1 causing theme designer to crash.  (edit: I did revert to SP15, and was able to have it work, just an FYI)

Also for reference, using Fedora 27.

Edited by dougbtv

@James The fix isn't out yet right? If it helps you with troubleshooting -- I noticed that on Fedora 28 it doesn't crash in absolutely every scenario, only if modifying CERTAIN values through the UI. Here are a few examples:

1. Starting theme editor, selecting a Field element (say the battery percentage on my theme) and changing the Padding or Location of the element though the numerical values on the right side DOESN'T result in a crash. You can apply and upload the settings to your device.

2. Selecting the same Field element and trying to move it through the graphical interface results in an instant CRASH (albeit changing the values through the numbers works fine)

3. Selecting this Field element, then selecting another Field element without doing any changes results in an instant CRASH.

4. Selecting the Field element and going to a Gauge element, DOESN'T result in a crash. You can go back and forth between those two without issues, but once you select another Field element it would CRASH as in the above scenarios.

5. Same for the Gauge element, I can move it around using the numerical values,  but the moment I try moving with my mouse it would cause an instant CRASH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a patch message through the application. Applied it and now I am abble to “Save all device puffs“ with no crash ! (No more reboot to windows, which is great ! Thanks again !)

Just a little cosmetic problem remains with this : it is supposed to launch a little popup-modal window with “Please wait” message and a progress bar. Under Gnome (tested both with Wayland and xorg), this modal window only appear as a thin and almost invisible rectangle (the window does not deploy to its full size).

• 2 weeks later...

YAY

Now I just have to remember how to install run files & get everything else installed first.

Ubuntu 18.04 So shouldn't be that hard. Haven't used nix in 5years so refreshing. I just hate winblows and that's what i previously used to update.

Update:

Well wasn't so bad to install. Simple way is to just chmod it then ./SetupEScribe2_SP17_US.run asked to install dependencies and go from there. although i installed 2 of them already as 1 was not found and 1 was outdated compared to what i had. Per what the messages were.

Will have to check it out tomorrow after i get time.

Edited by D_N_D
Added info. This is invisible typing

I can't get it installed.

I run Debian stretch with xfce.

A doubleclick in Thunar or Nautilus (File-manager) opens vi.

When i start it in the console with

"./SetupEScribe2_SP17_INT.run"

It wants to install mono-complete and gtk-sharp2

"Running on Debian or a Debian derivative.

Checking for Mono... not found!
Checking for GTK 2... found.
Checking for GTK 2 Sharp... not found!

Launching process to install dependencies."

even though these are already installed

"gtk-sharp2 ist schon die neueste Version (2.12.40-2).

mono-complete ist schon die neueste Version (4.6.2.7+dfsg-1)."

What can i do?

Edited by icho40

i believe the steps i did are as follows under ubuntu

sudo apt-get install mono-complete
sudo apt-get install gtk-sharp2

Open a terminal
cd /home/user/Downloads
chmod +x filename.run
./filename.run

Mind you yours may be slightly different.
I had to google what to do so I didn't read thru the forum for tips.
also after i ran it it asked and basically required me to install 2 more programs. which I thought I already did.  hopefully my directions I just typed up are accurate as it has been since I posted that I last did it and used it. But I plan on possibly installing another distro some day soon and Will give it a shot again.

Seems i was not patiently enough.  ;)

Now the installer worked despite the error-message.

I can start it.

I connected my Wismec Releaux after updating the udev-rules and reloading them.

Still get the message "Kein kompatibles DNA Gerät verbunden."

means "No compatible DNA device connected"

Edited by icho40

Sadly I can't help with that.  Hopefully someone else has info on it.

Was super excited that there is a starting of a linux version of escribe.
I just generally change temp settings etc.

Decided to hook it up. First i plugged it in then I ran escribe clicked escribe it popped up a message I click yes then enter password.
After entering password it showed my dna 250 and downloaded settings.

1 hour ago, icho40 said:

Seems i was not patiently enough.  ;)

Now the installer worked despite the error-message.

I can start it.

I connected my Wismec Releaux after updating the udev-rules and reloading them.

Still get the message "Kein kompatibles DNA Gerät verbunden."

means "No compatible DNA device connected"

Does your  Wismec Releaux have a DNA chipset in it or is it the device that has a non-DNA chipset?