Opus 200 dead

twages88

lol Opus got some real shitty customer service. I don't really care about the $6 but its all about the principle. They are distributing defective items on the market, so why are consumers who paid $230 having to pay for S/H for their shitty quality control or lack of. I had a nickel that got jacked up in a day. I will never be purchasing from Opus ever again after this incident! This is getting blasted and good thing I purchased with AMEX. I mean the whole vape industry needs to work on their quality control! 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will have to keep an eye on this thread. I am inexplicably blowing fuses left and right as well and use a hard mount like the Opus with conductive fasteners. I would reply on that to ground to the 510 if needed, but I don't. I am starting thing that something having to do with this is causing the fuses to pop. Interesting.

I was hitting my Opus last night with tc and in the middle of the hit it got really hot (the hit, not opus) and quit. Screen blacked out, will not take charge. Sent opus email last night. Has the latest update. I'm guessing a blown fuse like everybody else's.

I'd kind of like Opus to get involved with this forum but that just well might not be the right way to go, just a thought though.
Unless Opus received all the first run boards and unless they were faulty then there should be the same failure rate seen with all of the boards. I can only guess at how many Opus' have been sold so far but it should be near at least 500. I think there's 10 or 11 have been reported here, that might leave another couple or so unknown. So we're looking at maybe 4% failure rate here which really isn't too bad but it still should fall in line with the rest of the board failures excluding user error.
Here's what I was looking at as the cause of the fuse blowing, note just how close the contacts of the switch are to the ground pad on either side of it.
[image] 
And then note the stand offs of the case:
[image] 
Looks like a pretty tight clearance to me but I didn't actually measure it as I would have to disassemble  it to do so.

Noixd said:

I was talking to Roger at Opus and he is stating that the fuses is because of Evolve's chip. He states that it's not Opus's problem as they only put a case on it. So I'm not sure who is to blame for all these faulty incidents. 

Roger's email to me said he needs the unit for a couple of weeks because he's waiting on evolv to get back to him with a reason and solution. He didn't want to just replace the chip and send it back without knowing why it's happening. I'm just glad it's getting fixed in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

My Opus just died today. I am assuming it is the fuse as well. It connects to the escribe when connected, but immediately shuts off when disconnected from the USB. 

Is replacing the fuse an easy thing to do? I do not want to open up the box and void the warranty. 

No you will need to contact opus and send it in for repiar..how long have you had it?

JCC2k15 said:

My Opus just died today. I am assuming it is the fuse as well. It connects to the escribe when connected, but immediately shuts off when disconnected from the USB. 

Is replacing the fuse an easy thing to do? I do not want to open up the box and void the warranty. 

I sent an email to Opus, haven't heard anything back from them yet. I can't find any telephone numbers for them.

I purchased the Opus on 7/6 and it was working fine up until today. 

twages88 said:

No you will need to contact opus and send it in for repiar..how long have you had it?[QUOTE=JCC2k15]My Opus just died today. I am assuming it is the fuse as well. It connects to the escribe when connected, but immediately shuts off when disconnected from the USB. 

[/QUOTE]

John said:

This is becoming an upsetting trend. Before you send it to Opus can you connect it to Escribe and take a screen shot of the device monitor? 

My opus did the same thing about an hour ago.. Won't power on unless plugged in via USB, then gives the error message ohms to high.. I have the black version

Mines dead as well, though it doesn't seem to be the fuse. Screens black, wont connect to Escribe, and it gets hot when plugged into the charger. Fuse looks fine to me. Anything common that would cause these symptoms? Any chance of a quick fix?
I'd like to avoid sending it back to Opus, but it looks like that's the direction I'm headed.

Hello can you guys please help me out. I just received my new blue Opus 200 in the mail this morning and something is seriously wrong. The box came with the battery completely dead and when I plugged it in via USB to my PC the screen lit up and it powered on but the box would not hold a charge at all. The second you unplug it the box shuts off immediately and powers down. If its plugged in via USB you cannot even fire it with an atty attached to use it as a pass through. I have emailed Roger at Opus Vapor and he has blatantly ignored my pleas for assistance and or refused to respond. I cannot believe I dropped this kind of money on my first DNA 200 mod and this is the experience I am receiving. Please respond to this and help me out. I do not want to open the box as I have heard Opus will void your warranty and charge you for return shipping on something that came broken which is just ridiculous. Please email me jmccarran775@gmail.com if you can help. 

jmccarran said:

Hello can you guys please help me out. I just received my new blue Opus 200 in the mail this morning and something is seriously wrong. The box came with the battery completely dead and when I plugged it in via USB to my PC the screen lit up and it powered on but the box would not hold a charge at all. The second you unplug it the box shuts off immediately and powers down. If its plugged in via USB you cannot even fire it with an atty attached to use it as a pass through. I have emailed Roger at Opus Vapor and he has blatantly ignored my pleas for assistance and or refused to respond. I cannot believe I dropped this kind of money on my first DNA 200 mod and this is the experience I am receiving. Please respond to this and help me out. I do not want to open the box as I have heard Opus will void your warranty and charge you for return shipping on something that came broken which is just ridiculous. Please email me jmccarran775@gmail.com if you can help. 

I can understand your frustration, spending that kind of money and having a problem the day you get it but it hasn't even been 24 hours since you sent him an email. It's a Friday of a long holiday weekend, was he open today? I would give a business 48 hours, business hours, to reply before claiming they are ignoring me. Like I say it's a holiday weekend, Monday is a holiday, to be reasonable I'd wait until the end of Wednesday before claiming being ignored. I wouldn't open the case, I'd just leave it alone and wait until you hear back from him, hopefully it won't be that long. I am sincerely sorry your having a problem, I agree it does suck, don't let it ruin your holiday weekend, that won't help you at all. Put it out of your mind for now and have a good weekend. I hope you get a speedy resolution, hang in there.

Okay guys so it has been a few days now. I have finally heard back from Roger at Opus on 09-05 and he instructed me to mail it to him. He told me he would send a new mod to me today which never happened as I never received a tracking number I requested from him. My problem is I will be sending my mod that is broke tomorrow morning but if I do not receive something confirming that he indeed sent a replacement mod then that is cause for concern as obviously I am sending mine in and not getting anything back in return. I have emailed him a couple of times and he has straight up ignored me since I originally heard back from him. He never asked my name, where to send the new mod, never asked for a receipt from me confirming I legit purchased and I just feel this is an extremely odd way of doing business. I am having issues trusting sending someone something I paid $230 for without knowing what will happen. I really like the Opus 200 mod but this is no way to treat a customer. I know obviously he is probably having to respond to multiple issues but that is besides the point. Build the mod correctly the first time and test the hell out of it before sending it out and forums full of complaints obviously wont exist. Just venting frustration here and its not aimed at anyone but I am just not happy at all. I just received a Hana V200 pre-production unit this weekend and so far it has worked flawlessly.

A few things "I" would do when sending the mod back, first pull up the ser# of the board through escribe and grab a screen shot of it or take a photo of the screen. Take good photos of the mod from all sides, pack it well, make sure every opening and seam of the box is taped over then take photos of the prepped box including the shipping label. Ship it insured for full value, with tracking and signature required upon delivery. While you can't keep all bad things from happening, you can stack up documentation in case something does go south. Good luck with the exchange, I hope it goes smooth and fast. 

I would also refrain from complaining about someone, someone you expect to resolve an issue for you before even giving them a reasonable chance at making it right. Just saying you might be starting off on the wrong foot right out of the gate, put yourself in their shoes, would you go above and beyond to help someone if they did that to you?

Good luck.

Just though I'd chime in here...
Repair/replacement process was very smooth for me. Couple e-mails off to Roger, sent it in, and it was on its way back within 3 business days. I can understand everyone's frustration but there's really nothing to worry about. I've yet to hear any horror stories.