Opus 200 dead

twages88

Ah ha. 

You do have a popped fuse. What's happening is your device is powering directly from the USB port as a pass-through. 

It reads the battery voltage just fine because the battery and the taps are just fine. And obviously the board is functional other than the fuse. 

The question is, what is it about the Opus that makes it eat fuses? 

When you heard the pop, was it mid-puff? The beginning of a puff? Wake from leaving it along for hours? Just removed from charging? 

Did anything interesting happen to it physically beforehand? 

Also, without the fuse intact,don't leave it on charge or USB for extended periods of time, or the board will get warm, because it will be trying to charge batteries it can't get power to, so the whole charge power will be burned up as heat. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i charged it up last night and sat it down ready for the next day.
Grabbed it this morning had a puff and it seem lacking in taste.
I dripped and fired and thats when i heard the pop, so mid puff.

The mod hasn't left my house and has never been dropped.

The usb socket is a little wobbly like on my vapor flask, so not sure if thats normal because this is my only dna200 device, but its like my flask

Thanks for your help so far John I appreciate it!!

John said:

Well, two of the three I have were definite clearance issues. The other was likely also, but I cut the board apart looking at it, so it is getting a brand new board. 

Thanks John, any idea when/if mine will be shipping back to me?
Thanks,
Jeff

Well it seems i have another blown fuse on an opus issue. I didn't even realize this issue till today. Device was at full charge last nite, i used it to about 30 mins or so before bed with no issues. Woke this morning and noticed a update so i updated. About 20 minutes later while in the middle of a puff it just stopped. Only comes on when plugged in but does not fire.

I'm not sure just what the mortality rate is on the Opus 200 but I have this idea that maybe I should be trying to send mine back to Opus before it happens to fix the clearance problem as it should be an easier job not having to put in a fuse as well. Your thoughts on this please.

Off the top of my head, think there are about 350 Opuses out right now, so the mortality rate is still in the single digit percent. Still very concerning. Replacing the fuse isn't hard once the board is out of the case, though. 

You'd have to discuss that with Opus, though, I can't make them do or not do things. 

It will be interesting to see what has caused the fuse to blow and whether it happens again. Hopefully not, because shipping for me (Australia) is quite expensive. This mod now owes me $395AUD and more if I have to pay for return shipping. I guess it's part and parcel of being an early bird, I just wish I had another dna200 device to play with lol

That's a lot! I remember when I honeymooned in Tasmania three years ago and it was like $1.10 US to buy an Aussie dollar. 

If you PMed me a shipping address, I might see if I can scare something up for you. No promises. 

John said:

If it is opus specific, it is either the extremely tight/chew through the mounting holes screws or the standoffs. 

Which raises the question:  What torque is recommended?  I only use plastic cases, so the plastic will strip prior to damaging the chip, but for those using metal, can we give them a rating?

Well im highly disappointed, i sent my opus back to be repaired. They repaired and sent it back really fast, was happy with that. But... it lasted 3 days and died again. I think that they just replaced the fuse and didn't fix the problem causing it to blow. Its a shame, i didn't even get over 3 hours of actual use on this fuse. Wasnt doing anything crazy for it to blow either. .05 ni200 build.

Yes i did pay for the shipping and no refund for it. This time they want to know everything i was doing before i send it back to them as if i was doing something wrong. Honestly i dont know if i am gonna send it back. If they are just gonna replace a fuse and not find and fix the problem causing the fuse to blow then whats the point. I might just purchase some fuses and replace it myself. $6 shipping and a week without my mod then it lasts a few days and dies again... im not gonna send it out every other week for them to replace a fuse.

Ya i can care less about $6, i just hate being without my dna200 for a week really. I'm loving it. I hope they figure out what is making the fuses blow before my warranty expires. I guess I'll just send it back to be repaired and not use it till i hear the mystery has been solved. Sad to say but i don't see any other option. $230 paper weight for a while i guess.