4 DNA 200's Dead

poitee

poitee said:

I got my new board in yesterday. I took everything apart from the old build and checked the continuity of everything to make sure nothing happened while it sat. I found that my FDV v4 had an occasional dead short. I took it apart and found a brass spur the was stuck in the blue insulator and it would occasionally at the perfect angle make contact with the 510 threads. It was a tiny piece I had to use a magnifying glass to see it. I replaced the insulator and everything went together fine. I did order a 50 pack of replaceable fuses (I have a work account through mouser and get a good bulk discount) If anyone needs a fuse and can not obtain one for an affordable price let me know. 

Thanks again,

Chad

evolv do a 510,, http://www.protovapor.com/product/evolv-510-connector/

This looks like a nice 510. I like the extra pressure part. Every issue I've had with TC vaping is due to inconsistent resistance readings. I'd love a couple of 510s that have decent SS threads and strong springs. 

And then of course, I'd love the atomizer OEMs to stop with this nonsense spring-adjustable 510 screws. Usually it's a rubbish quality spring mated with a stainless steel screw. I systematically rip out the spring and replace it with a bushing. Just put in a decent copper flat-bottomed pin please.

After 8 months and 6 different DNA 200 mods (I still have all of them), I have yet to have a single problem with any of them other than the sketchy case and battery specs that some of the manufacturers plugged in to the firmware via EScribe, which I corrected after running the case and battery analyzers and using a copper plug to check the case resistance. I wouldn't ever hesitate recommending a DNA 200 to any vaper willing to read the manual and step through the entire interactive training course for EScribe. Knowledge is power. Don't want to learn how to properly use it? Buy something else.

Where am I going with this? I have had NO problems with the DNA 200's. My friends have had NO problems with theirs. It seems odd to me that someone could have 4 of them fail...all by themselves. Operator error? Abuse? Unluckiest person on the planet? Makes me wonder if the OP isn't doing something to cause these issues. Is there going to be a bad board here and there? Sure. But what are the odds of one person getting 4 bad ones in a row? Pretty slim.

blueridgedog said:

I have had five of five boards go bad back in the DNA40 days...prior to putting them in a mod...just bench testing.

That said there is some atomizer interaction that seems to trigger fuse issues.  I have not seen enough of it to put a finger on.

Yeah the screen scramble thing with the DNA40 was a bummer until they figured it out. Probably Evolv's darkest days.

With the DNA200 though, I have 8 of them, 2 directly from Evolv, and 6 that I built myself to Evolv spec. Haven't had the first problem out of any of them. Well... except for the Evolv Beta Mod that I damaged when I dropped it on concrete and one of inductors fell off, but that was my bad and Evolv replaced it anyway.

I suspect that if a Mod is truly built to Evolv specs (no shortcuts) it will perform well.

From what I have seen though, many of DNA200s being imported do not build to Evolv specs, and many of them get reported for problems pretty regularly. Even domestic Modders have had design issues implementing the board. Just take look through the threads in this forum to see that.

Even on well built Mods though, there is this whole blown fuse thing going on that I dont think anyone has identified direct cause and effect yet. As BRD says, it may well be an atty interaction of some sort.

Anyway, the DNA200 technology is sound in my opinion, as long as it is implemented correctly.
I have built several, and will build several more, and I am confident I wont wind up with the lemon.

Never had a DNA go wrong and I have had over a dozen, but random chance has no memory EG flip a coin and you get heads 5 times in a row the chance of getting heads is still 50% on the next throw.  4 fails in a row could just be a random thing like coincidence it can happen EG meeting someone you know thousands of miles from home.

Like the 40, it may get a silent update.  My first build has been in the hands of my wife now for four or five months and she treats it like a red headed step child (US reference to an unloved object).  It has been dropped over and over, soaked in juice countless times, left in hot cars, splashed, knocked off the table while charging countless times and on and on.  Still works great.  Go figure.  

First off, I currently own 5 DNA 200's all operating without issue.

I posted the 4 that I have had issues with.

The 510 issue with the hammond box is my fault, I should have dissembled it all the way and checked. It was not making a complete dead short but barely touching causing massive resistance changes at times which was likely the cause of the fuse failure

The Vaporshark and Wismec I think are luck of the draw.

I would like to think that this is a public forum that people can bring issues they are having with this board without being accused of wrong doing. Mod Making is a learning experience and is something I enjoy doing and I am sure others do also. I would like to thank the people that gave positive feedback and were truly helpful.  

All this was supposed to be is a little Q&A with some research so I can figure out a possible cause to save myself and others issues in the future not a opportunity to just blame the end user. 

Please in the future think about trying to make the person that is having issues more welcome in the forum. I have personally worked on everything from Tube operated equipment up to SMD equipment. I have the proper tools and knowledge, I do make mistakes, I am not perfect. I was trying to learn.

Thanks again to all the good suggestions.

well ive put my fuse blowing down to the external charger I was using,,because its quit working now,,
you know poitee, not everyones grammer is perfect, specialy mine, and can easily be interprated as either straight to the point or quite rude or both,, English language is quite a simple one compared to many with posertive or negative or male and female, left or right,  before the sentence starts, we only use 36 characters compared to the chineese 86, but in short a fact of life, when you throw a question out into the world web, you get an answer, , might not be the answer you wanted, but an answere you get..
I broke one the other day, it was in my hand when it broke, shitt happens.......

Update: Wismec came back and is operating normally, My DIY DNA 200 board came back and it is operating normally. Both are newer boards that the one I use for mockup (different looking components.) Thanks for everyone help. I thought I would leave an update.

Thanks

I had 6 boards fail in my DIY mod in the first 4 months, the last was on Christmas day.  I've noticed three different versions of the board.  The current one appears to have slightly larger components.  I actually bought a second board to eliminate down time.  Thankfully the Evolv tech support and customer support are top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is still going strong.. My hammond mod is doing great... I actually refitted the screen today and tidied it up a bit.. I made a 18650 sled for it also just in case I am out and about and need to swap to 18650.. (yes I have my laptop handy) I am a paramedic, sometimes things happen on long shifts. My wismec is doing great also. I am not a huge fan of the stock 510 though, it wobbles a bit. Overall I am glad everything ended up good. I am hoping for a DNA 75 chip released to modders... I have a nice sqonker mathed out in my head.