Feature request - swap Temperature with Watts on screen and controls

i would like to hear from evolv at this point so we can know if this is going to be implemented or not, i personally prefer to adjust temperature, as i see it as the difference between an auto and a manual car, sure you can make it work either way as it is, but i prefer to fine tune temperature of the vape to get the flavour i want, and let my max wattage maximize the vapor production without dry hitting.

some of the preference may also come from what devices people have used, those that use the joyetech evic will be familiar with temp adjust, whilst YiHi or IPV/Sigelei users will be more familiar with "temp limiting" rather than control

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Margucci said:

with the power vs temp issue all it takes is some common sense to give you the only correct information:
- preheat phase: the higher the wattage and harder the initial punch as well as vapor production. with a quick ramp up time you will get your initial vapor warmer faster. however, the higher this preheat power is set the shorter this phase is because the coil will reach its intended temperature sooner. this very short phase the power you set rules. 
- vaping phase: after the 0.5-1s preheat phase while your coil gets up to temperature this is obviously dictated by the temperature you set. when the coil approaches and finally reaches the set temperature the power is drastically reduced because it isnt needed in the slightest. it doesnt matter how much higher you set your power there will be no change at all in your vape experience (either vapor production of flavor). 

therefore if you want to be pedantic, you can say that both power and temperature are factors. and while that is technically true the reality says otherwise. if your pull is 4s long you would be lucky if 15-20% of your total vape time is influenced by the wattage set at all. the temperature you have set overwhelmingly dictates the quality of the vape. these are not opinions, they are facts. this is confirmed each and every time you look at the device monitor in escribe. 

HOWEVER, there is one pseudo situation this is not the case. in the event that both your preheat phase and vaping phase power are set at the perfect values so that the coil never quite reaches the set temperature than the vape is completely dictated by power. the reason why i call this is pseudo situation is because you are not actually using temperature control at all. through sheer dumb luck or a lot of trial and error you have set your power settings to the exact values so that you create an equilibrium point when the power going into the coil is being fully balanced by the cooling of the juice in the wick as well as the airflow passing by it. this situation is extremely precarious and even small changes in wick saturation, ambient temperature, length of vape, and even suction would upset this equilibrium. essentially in this situation you are self temperature controlling. the end result would be a much slower ramp up time than you would experience if you allowed the mod to temp control. in addition, the equilibrium vape would be nowhere near as consistent. 

Thanks for your post, it's the best explanation regarding my experiences so far with my first DNA device, the LavaBox DNA200. I have written and asked for opinions on this topic, and while I always appreciate feedback, I don't believe it's my high VG juice or my standard type build of 6 wrap, 3mm, .33ohm titanium build on a Subtank Mini RBA. Vaping at 480 F, I get to temp quickly, and get the TP message. I tried rewicking using less cotton, same results. Wattage is NOT effecting my vapor production. If I go done to 15 watts, I don't get the TP warning/confirmation message, at 16, I do. Going up in wattage, even as far as 50 watts, gives me the exact same vape. Again, I'm not writing this as a problem, just trying to understand why many seem to be able to control their vape using wattage, when I'm finding temperature is really the main control I seem to have. I see the same results using a different tank, the MORPH, using the titanium Delta 2 LVC .5 ohm coils. My TCR profile is from steam engine and working fine. If someone with a large swing of wattage adjustment can post their build, and details, I would give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I also would like an optional power/temp swap. Before my eFusion I had an eVic-VTC, and it's best feature was instant changing of the temp without going into menus or hitting a sequence of buttons.  I found myself changing the temp constantly based on what juice I was dripping, and my current mood.

Totally agree, I'd like this option as well.

I also never understood the fact that temp=flavor and wattage=vapor.
AFAIK, temp is a limit, power is how fast you reach that limit. If you have your wattage set to 50W and the coil reaches like 200°C in no time at all, you won't get more vapor if you set it to 100W. I keep my wattage set to a point where it heats up the coil quickly, but not instantly. I prefer switching the temperature on the fly, not the wattage.
Maybe this could be an option depending on your profile. I'd rather see an option to have various default screen displays which you can link to a profile. Some info I have when using TC is useless when using kanthal, the other way round is true as well. I need to read my temp when in TC (preferably switch it on the fly), but that field becomes useless if I switch to a kanthal profile.

Mad Scientist said:

I have a new mantra. Increasing applied power increases temperature; increasing temp setting increases applied power lol. I think it's silly that an unfortunate comment in a pbusardo interview has "evolved" into a religious doctrine. ;) 

I fully agree.

Also, because I adjust the temperature more often than I adjust the power, +1 to the option of switching them around in the interface.

Please give us the option to select the temperature as the main field on the screen on a per profile basis. If the option is selected then the current field for temperature (if its displayed at all) becomes the power. Crossing my fingers this is in the next escribe and firmware update. Don't do it for us. Do it for Mr. Pbusardo. He deserves after making those videos!

• 3 weeks later...

on an rta I adjust both upwards but only as the coil and wicking becomes blocked and codged up with use, to maintain the same vape so it makes no odds to me anyway. im so finely perfectly balanced I never reach the max value ive set, am allways a few degrease lower lol,,, each to their own,,, but if its only a programmable feature I think they should be adding and updating as requests and idears go in, like what els can we give them for their money, and other folk can see how dedicated we are and whant one ..........ect
don't want to be part of the temp debate over watts and heat but I changed my temperature protected screen, the wording never rely sat with me.  

I see Wattage control vs Temperature control as being similar to Shutter Priority vs Aperture priority in Photography.

In Photography, Shutter Priority is where you set the Shutter Speed, and the Aperture is adjusted by software to provide the appropriate exposure given the ASA of the film.   Aperture Priority is where you set the Aperture, and software sets the Shutter speed to provide the appropriate exposure given the ASA of the film.

In Vaping, when in Wattage mode, you set the Wattage, and software adjusts the voltage so that you get the right amount of current through your coil given the Resistance of the Coil.    In TC mode, you set the temperature, and software adjusts the voltage so that you get the right amount of Wattage through your coil given the changing Resistance of the Coil.

It wouldn't make sense to give you control of the Shutter Speed when in Aperture Priority, or control over the Aperture when in Shutter Priority.   Just as it doesn't make sense to give you control over Temperature when you're in Wattage mode, or giving you control over Wattage when in Temperature Control mode.

I agree that when in a "Temperature Control" mode, that "Temperature" should be the primary adjustment of the up/down buttons  (Or at least an option to set this in a profile.)

I definitely think this should be a selectable option in Profiles because after carefully reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that there are two different ways to use the TC mode.

1.  Set wattage to max, then let TC throttle your wattage once it gets to temp.   Adjust temp for more/less vapour.    (pre-heat isn't too useful when using this method, as the wattage is maximum until the unit determines that the coil is at/above temp, so should probably be turned off or minimized)

2.  Set TC to a temperature that will prevent dry burns.   Then adjust wattage to reduce/increase vapour just as you would in regular Wattage mode.  TC is more of a limiter to prevent dry burns.   (With this method, Pre-heat is a huge advantage as it helps get coil to temp faster when using lower wattages)

I think that method 2 is what Evolv designed the DNA 200 for, but they should make an attempt to accommodate those who use method 1.

I'm in the Method 1 camp, and would like to control Temp with the up/dn buttons, rather than Wattage.

""Yeh but no but yeh"" ""i think"" with your camera explanation the film can only ever be the juice as a medium for two exples..Its got to be for the decision of the user realy because: say bring a .25mm wire up to temperature with 12 watts, but to bring .50 mm wire up to the same temperature in the same time frame will need 24 plus.. which brings me to the bit about why was there a screen shortage for absolutly months. Surly if the dna200 was your flag ship device and main source or hopefull main source of bread and butter money in your pocket, surly one would procreate several other alternatives within days, possibly even of different sizes, with user programable format, like whats being disscused above,, the first thing i noticed was the themes are the same for all profiles, i thought there was a problem with my escribe program and over writ it anout three times. The forum and programs got launched and adjusted and tweeked for a few months but nothing since. This time last year i said i wouldnt build any 200's main reason was because i didnt understand lipo batterys, but i was using the excuse that evolv move the goal posts so often theres no point because a 150 watt with fixed screen and twin 18650's would be moor practical and mod builder friendly and would probly be along shortly, dont get me wrong ive built six, two boards where basket cases so got sent back, which is anouther £10 plus a month waitng, calling it an early adopters forum and not working or comenting on idears that are coming up to the surface, compared to the initial first months, looks like the bosses have done a runner..

black lace said:

""Yeh but no but yeh"" ""i think"" with your camera explanation the film can only ever be the juice as a medium for two exples..Its got to be for the decision of the user realy because: say bring a .25mm wire up to temperature with 12 watts, but to bring .50 mm wire up to the same temperature in the same time frame will need 24 plus.

My point with the camera was more along the lines of... "When Cameras became sophisticated (computerized?), they gave you an easy method to control shutter speed when in shutter priority, or Aperture size when in Aperture priority mode.  The DNA 200 should behave appropriately and give you an easy method to control Wattage when in Wattage mode, AND and easy way to control Temperature when in TC mode."  

The current design assumes that you want to control Wattage when in both Wattage mode, AND in Temperature Control mode.   

That isn't true for all users, so it should be an option on a profile so users of this method don't have to jump through hoops every time they want to adjust the temp setting when in Temp Control mode.

• 2 weeks later...
valld said:

Well, it looks like Evolve are not interested in further developing and investing in DNA200 chip. With the speed they react to our requests DNA200 will be obsolete very soon if it is not already..... Just get RX200 and forget it...............

There has been several version of escribe and lots of beta firmware on this forum.  Failing to address this issue, in your opinion, negates the responsiveness of the firm entirely?

This is a significant change and will probably be rolled out, but right now I know that Evolv is working on a research project, digesting the draft FDA rules and analyzing the first corpus of significant data from the first round of chip replacements.  This request has to be important, but admittedly of low priority at the moment.