Resistance still climbs while it's supposed to be locked?

p8ntballa9362

Ok I've got a titanium coil and a ss316 coil that I like to run in regular non temp, Kanthal mode from time to time. In order to get the same hit every time, I try to lock the resistance so that it doesn't climb w/ temp and change the hit every time. So I lock it and yet after I take a hit I can see that the resistance has jumped up. Is it supposed to do this? If not what am I missing here?

p8ntballa9362 said:

Ok I've got a titanium coil and a ss316 coil that I like to run in regular non temp, Kanthal mode from time to time. In order to get the same hit every time, I try to lock the resistance so that it doesn't climb w/ temp and change the hit every time. So I lock it and yet after I take a hit I can see that the resistance has jumped up. Is it supposed to do this? If not what am I missing here?

I think when you lock resistance it is the cold resistance you lock.

when you take a hit the resistance will go up as that is how temp control works, you probably notice th ti goes up more proportionately to the ss , where the kanthal will hardly move at all.

Right I understand they have different thermal coefficients.... But if I do the atty lock and lock the resistance it shouldn't jump up at all should it? If I have a. 3 ohm Ti coil and lock it, it should stay at. 3 right? Or does it lock it in the chop at. 3 and show me what the actual live ohms are at the time?

Atty lock is for temperature protection. Furthermore it does not prevent your resistance from changing. The DNA200 can not change the physical properties of the wire. What atty lock does is turn off refinement, preventing the dna200 from changing the cold resistance value.

In temp mode your display will show the cold resistance value. This is not actual resistance of the atty. It is a calculated value of what it thinks your resistance should be at 70°F.  

In wattage mode the display will show actual atty resistance(live ohms)while firing. The dna will continuously monitor the resistance and apply appropriate voltage during the vape. When not firing it will show the last resistance it saw while firing.

What you may of discovered is a small bug in the firmware. because with temp protection turned off, there is no need to atty lock a cold resistance.

I know the dna 200 will not change the physical properties of the wire what I'm asking is if I'm using a .3 ohm stainless coil, with out temp control on, shouldn't I be able to lock it in at .3, and get the same exact vape[ voltage, wattage, and current] instead of firing it and havin it jump to . 39 and cool down to. 35 thus giving me a different vape each time. E.g.-triton /crown stainless coils. And yes I know I can use ss316 for temp but it works better in Kanthal mode

If it has detected the coil is a suitable wire for temp limiting (raises 150 F in the first second) the temp will be displayed in the default fields, if not it will stop temp limiting and display the voltage.  I don't know if, but doubt that res lock is applicable if it has dropped out of temp limiting mode and I don't know if this is your issue.  IIRC to low wattage and big coils can cause the coils not to heat enough in the first second. 

Yall are clearly missing what I'm trying to convey. OK say I want to use titanium or stainless in Kanthal [non temp] but I want the chip to apply power as if it's Kanthal and the resistance isn't really changing, [and I know it's inevitable that it will] thus keeping the wattage, volts, and current all the same regardless of the thermal coefficient of the coils, would atty/ resistance lock not accomplish this for me?

Try this:

Go to Device Monitor and set it to show Live ohms and cold ohm's (and watts and voltage if you want).  With the device( locked ohm's ) in temp mode you can vape and see what happens.  Then do the same in non-temp mode and you will see the difference. Watch the difference in the rate and speed of the ohm's rise, and the voltage and wattage readings, etc.

Hopefully you can get you answer by seeing it in live mode of Device Monitor.

From the datasheet: added the underline myself

Resistance lock: The DNA 200 relies on the cold resistance of the atomizer to measure temperature accurately. If the connection is not stable or if you find the measured resistance drifts with time, it may be desirable to lock the atomizer resistance. To do so, while locked hold both the Fire and Up buttons for two seconds to enter Resistance Lock mode. In this mode, the DNA 200 will use the present atomizer cold resistance without refinement until the atomizer is disconnected or the resistance lock is disabled. A lock symbol will replace the ohm symbol on the display. To disable resistance lock, repeat the procedure to lock it.

**From my understanding Resistance lock is a option to  the refinement process in Temperature Mode.

As I said I don't think (don't know) if the res lock is appreciable if out of temp limiting, but I think you have brought you knowledge of other devices over to the DNAs.  Leaving temp limiting out of the equation they are real time wattage regulated and if you expect it to behave like an SX350 and just pick a voltage when you press fire and keep pumping a fixed voltage regardless of what is happening you are going to be out.  So with temp limiting off it will supply the wattage and if res goes up V goes down and visa versa.

I know the dna 200 will not change the physical properties of the wire what I'm asking is if I'm using a .3 ohm stainless coil, with out temp control on, shouldn't I be able to lock it in at .3, and get the same exact vape[ voltage, wattage, and current] instead of firing it and havin it jump to . 39 and cool down to. 35 thus giving me a different vape each time. E.g.-triton /crown stainless coils. And yes I know I can use ss316 for temp but it works better in Kanthal mode

If the resistance is changing it is impossible to have the exact same voltage, wattage and current. It is against ohms law.

If you set it at 50 watts, the dna will output 50 watts. It doesn't matter that the resistance is rising the whole time.  

Spirometry said:

If the resistance is changing it is impossible to have the exact same voltage, wattage and current. It is against ohms law.

If you set it at 50 watts, the dna will output 50 watts. It doesn't matter that the resistance is rising the whole time.  

No it is Ohms law and Joule heating, to have constant power if the resistance is changing requires varying the voltage (for vaping coils).  If you supply a constant voltage to a resistance that is changing the power will also change regardless of whatever value for resistance you recorded at the start.

ahhh, ok i get what you guys are saying. thats its basically impossible to keep the same parameters since ohms law says that the voltage/ power are directly affected by the resistance.  i think my question has been answered. basically i wanted it to fire like a mech mod with kanthal but with titanium or stainless.  basically be able to lock in a .3 ohm coil at 50w and 4.2v and have it fire under those parameters regardless of current resistance of that coil at any given temp. you guys are basically saying the DNA200 does not do that. and i am bringing prior YiHi knowledge to this platform,as this is my first evolv product.

valld said:

I don't think DNA 200 is designed to handle properly Ti, Ni and SS wires in Power mode (Temp control turned off). It will be best if Evolve crew chip in here and explain what happens if you try to do this, and if it's at all possible or not. 

Based on how the software and hardware work, it will do these wires just fine with TC on or off. If you set preheat to zero seconds and TC off, it will behave to the user as if it were just a VW mod. It tracks the resistance in real time and varies voltage to deliver the desired wattage.

valld said:

I don't think DNA 200 is designed to handle properly Ti, Ni and SS wires in Power mode (Temp control turned off). It will be best if Evolve crew chip in here and explain what happens if you try to do this, and if it's at all possible or not. 

I think it is the other way around the Evolv give you the wattage you set which needs no explanation. YiHi measure the res, set the voltage to give you the power you chose, but if the resistance changes that bargain is broken and you will not get the watts you set so if anything that needs explaining IMO.

If you look at the end of pBusardos IPV2 review he demonstrats this.

Atty Lock only works in Temperature Protection mode, with Ni200 wire (or possibly Ti, if you set it up in Escribe properly; Steam Engine could assist with the values).  If you can apply Atty Lock, you are in Temp Protect mode and you need to lock the device, hold the up and down buttons until you can change temp value and then press "UP" until the value displayed goes past 600 and to OFF.  Once temp protect is "OFF", you can set the wattage and the output of the device won't change.  At that point, it's a regulated Mod without Temp Protect and without Atty Lock.

jaysocal is the first person to understand my question. if i lock in a .3 ohm stainless steel coil at .300 shouldnt it stay locked and show that resistance the whole time? and fire under those parameters according to that particular locked in resistance? can i not lock it in to fire under the same settings regardless of the live ohms changing as the stainless steel heats up?

p8ntballa9362 said:

jaysocal is the first person to understand my question. if i lock in a .3 ohm stainless steel coil at .300 shouldnt it stay locked and show that resistance the whole time? and fire under those parameters according to that particular locked in resistance? can i not lock it in to fire under the same settings regardless of the live ohms changing as the stainless steel heats up?

The "ohms lock" only locks the so-called "cold" resistance of the coil which is used as the baseline for temperature control. It does not lock the "live" real-time coil resistance.

You cannot make a DNA 200 act like a mechanical mod (without jiggery-pockery!). If the resistance of the coil is changing the voltage will be modulated to provide the wattage you have set (this is a power control device).

Evolv would need to implement a ''mech'' mode or someone come up with some method to trick the DNA into behaving like a mech like creating a custom TCR curve and running it in TC mode with a high temp but the power setting to give you the voltage you want - if there isn't enough power to heat the coil to the set temp the board will output that voltage without modulation.

p8ntballa9362 said:

The DNA200 will show "live ohms" always weather you have locked the ohms or not. but when you lock the "cold ohms" it will use that number to define what it will run with (parameters) and the dispaly will show "live Ohms"............ What is displayed on the screen of the dna200 is always live information.