TC setup and best build for SS ****HELP****

danialfuad

Hi, Actually I'm quite new to this Escribe thingy and been using VT133 since early last year without any changes on the factory set up since then. Have updated the pack (SP5) yesterday and load the baby with new materials (SS316 without the L, Ti,etc....).

Bought SS Stagger Fused Clapton SS316L (26ga+32ga)*2 + 32ga by Geekvape recently and currently been sucking on Pharaoh RDA by DigiFlavor.

Thought of exploring the custom setup for the coil but it seems I'm going nowhere. :D:D

Could anyone please share the best setup (the coil size and wraps & the TC settings all) or share any preset files. Thanks in advance

SSSTAGGERFUSEDCLAPTON__58635.1475773449.jpg 

You should use a spaced coil if you're using SS316L. Claptons don't work in TC mode. Micro coils also don't work well in TC mode. Personally, I have used both SS316L and SS304 and I find the latter works much better due to a steeper TCR function.

I've tried both 28g with 7 wraps and 27g with 5 wraps and the 5 wraps works better for me (about a 0.5 ohm resistance with a single coil) - on the 28g coils it heats less evenly and the centre of the coil gets much hotter than the 5 wrap coil.

I've used 2.5mm and 3mm coils and prefer the results I get from a 3mm coil.

Daniel from DJLSBvapes did some testing on (I think it was older firmware) and found that using a TCR value gave slightly more accurate performance temperature wise than the steam engine CSV, although I don't know if this is still the case after newer firmware releases. I use the CSVs with no problem and don't notice much of a difference between the CSV and TCR.

SS316L alloys vary significantly. I have bought some wire labelled as SS316L that is unusable and others that vape perfectly. If you're having problems and using spaced coils then maybe the wire isn't good.

With SS316L you need to be very sure you have a stable resistance due to the very low TCR. Even a 0.01 ohm delta makes about a 10 degree celsius difference in temperature setting. So in a nutshell, the temperature is really just a "guide" - don't rely on it being perfectly accurate.

I use 24g 316L ss 8 wraps on 2.5 mm  rod SPACED !! Dual coils  comes out to  .165 ohms 
 70 watts and  100 watts preheat 500 degrees works great if i dont space my coils i find it works for a while at first  then it starts to act up  temp protection comes on when my coils are wet... i find spaced coils work better in TC. I use Steam engines CSV files hope this helps you some 

I use kidney puncher ss wire. The pics below are .4 ribbon wire ss with some 40g ss wire and some 28g ss. There are so many builds out there but I have been enjoying staggertons 6 wrap around a 3/32 drill bit ohms out at .14 for a single coil in the goon and I use djlsb smy dna75 profile for ss316L and everything works like a dream best vape that I have had

20170124_232037.jpg

20170125_225447.jpg

danialfuad said:

Hi, Actually I'm quite new to this Escribe thingy and been using VT133 since early last year without any changes on the factory set up since then. Have updated the pack (SP5) yesterday and load the baby with new materials (SS316 without the L, Ti,etc....).

Bought SS Stagger Fused Clapton SS316L (26ga+32ga)*2 + 32ga by Geekvape recently and currently been sucking on Pharaoh RDA by DigiFlavor.

Thought of exploring the custom setup for the coil but it seems I'm going nowhere. :D:D

Could anyone please share the best setup (the coil size and wraps & the TC settings all) or share any preset files. Thanks in advance

SSSTAGGERFUSEDCLAPTON__58635.1475773449.jpg 

I've been vaping for almost 4 years now, but am not an expert.  I only use 316L SS for the last year or so.  I use a lot of triple core fused with a 36g wrapper.  The diameter of the coil is about all I change, to suit the atomizers deck / packaging constraints of the atomizer. (wicking hole size, etc)  

I couldn't disagree more strongly with the spaced coils.  Burning them and packing them until all hot spots are eliminated allows me to maintain a resistance on a coil for MONTHS.  Even after burning and scrubbing them, and wicking them countless times.  Spaced coils are just annoying to deal with in general.  

I built a DNA 250 box mod last night, loaded the CSV from steam engine, but as mentioned, Daniel from DJLSBvapes mentioned the TCR setting (.00092) was more accurate.  I don't know if that holds true any more.  But it worked with the stuff I was using on a different device.  TCR on the DNA 250 was better than my previous mod.  So perhaps I'm not seeing an issue across a broad spectrum because it's still new to me.  

But if it can light and TC a .08 dual wire / dual coil set up, basically on start up.  I have no fear it's fine with just about anything I throw at it with just touching up the temperature here and there.  I was within 15* of where I was on my other mod on the DNA and it was a better smoother vape and TC.  

Asmodeus said:

I couldn't disagree more strongly with the spaced coils.  Burning them and packing them until all hot spots are eliminated allows me to maintain a resistance on a coil for MONTHS.  Even after burning and scrubbing them, and wicking them countless times.  Spaced coils are just annoying to deal with in general.  

I avoid burning my SS coils because of the possible risk of release of hexavalent chromium, although to be fair this risk is relatively low because of the high temperatures required for oxidation of hexavalent chromium (someone did some lab tests a few years back and didn't find any after dry burning SS coils).

It takes me 5 minutes to make and fit a new coil (about as much time as it takes to to burn one clean and rinse it), so I prefer to err on the side of caution. I also find if I burn a (spaced) coil that the metal becomes tarnished and the coils gunk up much easier. 

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/stainless-steel-mesh-oxide-discussion.362608/

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/research/research-2015/212-db

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/252374/filename/ajp-jp4199303C935.pdf

I don't do nickel, and I don't like Ti either.  But my fear of SS is 0%.  

Do what works for you.  But realize that you are advocating methodology that removes the consistency of a seasoned coil based on studies that did not come to the conclusion that hexavalent chromium was released.  But in parting had to make sure you knew it could be, maybe, if you weld with it... in an atomizer... 

I prefer scrubbing them with a tooth brush and whatever's left of a single drop of dried dawn dishwashing liquid, then doing some quick burn/rinse cycles.  I also build for 2 people across a lot of devices and atty's.  If I had to build coils every 2-4 days when I rewick and clean things I would shoot myself in the face.  I also hate spaced coils because they are inconsistent (resistance) and I prefer to remember the approx resistance of every atty I touch because if it reads differently - then something is not right.  It's not just my face on the other end of it, but someone I care about.  They are also fiddly when you are trying to bang the crud off and get some new wicks in, say as you are about to walk out the door and it gets handed to you with the "hey before we go..."  Utility is key, and I have found no performance benefit in spacing them.  Simply annoyance.   

So in the end, I still disagree with you completely.  But we do both agree on proper atomizer / coil maintenance being paramount.  So cheers to that!

Asmodeus said:

I prefer scrubbing them with a tooth brush and whatever's left of a single drop of dried dawn dishwashing liquid, then doing some quick burn/rinse cycles.  I also build for 2 people across a lot of devices and atty's.  If I had to build coils every 2-4 days when I rewick and clean things I would shoot myself in the face.  I also hate spaced coils because they are inconsistent (resistance) and I prefer to remember the approx resistance of every atty I touch because if it reads differently - then something is not right.  

I also use a toothbrush and dishwash liquid to clean coils. It works a charm.

However, my spaced coils are totally consistent in terms of resistance. Every time I wrap a coil I get almost exactly the same resistance, down to the 0.01 ohm level, so for me at least, a spaced coil is far from inconsistent.

I think the risk of Cr+6 is low, but it's there and still not conclusively demonstrated that it's non-existent, so personally it is something I prefer to avoid because I can. 

Anyway, to the OP, despite many people preferring spaced coils for SS TC, there's at least one person here who has experience to the contrary and feels that a non spaced coil is better. It's not an exact a science, so try both methods and see which one works best for you. I'm not dogmatic about it - whatever gives you the best experience and is most convenient.

So your building just a single wire spaced and nothing fancy I do think know how you would build anything like a staggertons without dry burning it you would get hot spot like crazy never get a perfect coil and I never would worrie about anything with ss it's not like I'm hitting it while there is hot spots which would be to much so I dry burn it to perfection aland it's great best flavor I have ever had and I've beverage heard of anyone saying you can't dry burn ss

John la said:

So your building just a single wire spaced and nothing fancy I do think know how you would build anything like a staggertons without dry burning it you would get hot spot like crazy

I wouldn't even dream of using a staggerton or a clapton SS coil in TC mode, so the point is moot

tbh ive had a lot more luck with spaced coils for tc till recently when I started dry burning ss and contact coils seem to work well most of the time
if the tank/dripper will let me I nearly always use a fused Clapton as they just seem to work better than anything else ive tried (that I can make )
one think I have noticed is the ramp up time and the power needed to run ss is far less than kanthal

cant stress how important a good tank is for tc, it its got a floating centre pin like the kanger sub tank it can cause lots of problems

I use contact coils for SS316L and its been great.

More info on my builds in the following threads:
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66183-topic/?do=findComment&comment=894613
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66214-topic/

There are pictures of the builds and screenshots of device monitor while firing.

I do use contact coils not spaced and I've not had any trouble - but as with almost all points here, use whatever works best for you :)

I am using a single coil Stainless Steel 26g/36g  Alien in the Goon @ 490 degrees  it works perfect,cant ask for a better vape .i bought my coils online from a good builder  very pleased with the results . i thought that a single wire coil would work better than a clapton style but i was wrong.

• 1 month later...

It's all about personal preference & having your device set up properly...I haven't had a TC wire or build that didn't work, once all the settings are correct...wires of the same materials will vary from supplier to supplier....finding what works best for oneself & getting the device properly setup is the key...:thumb::thumb:

• 2 months later...

I just bought the same wire SS stagger fused clapton by geekvape, My first try 5 wraps including legs / 3 diameter it gaves around 0.28 ohm resistance! Could anyone help me with TC csv file ?

also, how many wraps i should do to get 0.5 + ohm resistance with this wire ?

IMG_9715.JPG

Edited by Sovan
Picture

2 hours ago, Sovan said:

My first try 5 wraps including legs / 3 diameter it gaves around 0.28 ohm resistance!

That's a beautiful resistance value for any dual or single battery DNA. Any reason you wanna be at .5? You don't wanna be bouncing off that output voltage limit. 

The standard Evolv or Steam-engine or TCR value material profile should work fine for that wire

4 hours ago, Sovan said:

I just bought the same wire SS stagger fused clapton by geekvape, My first try 5 wraps including legs / 3 diameter it gaves around 0.28 ohm resistance! Could anyone help me with TC csv file ?

also, how many wraps i should do to get 0.5 + ohm resistance with this wire ?

If is SS316L or SS316 you can use one of the attached files..

DNA200-SS_316L _Elite-SteamEngine.csv

DNA200-SS_316-SteamEngine.csv

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wayneo said:

That's a beautiful resistance value for any dual or single battery DNA. Any reason you wanna be at .5? You don't wanna be bouncing off that output voltage limit. 

The standard Evolv or Steam-engine or TCR value material profile should work fine for that wire

I like vaping on wattage mode with 0.45 ~ 0.50 ohms and I didn't try TC mode before! is there a specific or preferable resistance i should not exceed to work with TC mode?

btw I tried the standard material profile but temperature protected message started and I couldn't do anything.

Thanks thomasck! much appreciated and yes it's SS316L (26ga+32ga)*2 + 32ga 

Edited by Sovan

I usually vape around .08 to .2 ohms with ss. Right now dual aliens in a petri 24mm rta and it came out to .10 ohms 28/36 gauge kidney puncher wire at about 420 f. best pic It would let me up load 

20170519_102220.jpg

20170519_102314.jpg

Edited by John la
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sovan said:

I like vaping on wattage mode with 0.45 ~ 0.50 ohms and I didn't try TC mode before! is there a specific or preferable resistance i should not exceed to work with TC mode?

btw I tried the standard material profile but temperature protected message started and I couldn't do anything.

Thanks thomasck! much appreciated and yes it's SS316L (26ga+32ga)*2 + 32ga 

You're welcome! Remember (it's not a rule), spaced coils work better in TC mode than contact coils, at least, to me!

• 4 weeks later...