Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

На 4.10.2022 г. at 21:18, James написа:

@copyman: Found the bug. Thanks for your feedback! It is now fixed in SP45.

Thanks James, this version is now working ot Windows, thanks for the quick response!

However, I have the following problem with the Mac OS version: Since version 30.3, none, including this one, start. No error appears on the screen. Mac OS 13.6 - probably with an older version of Mac, but I can't update it. In the system logs I find the following (attached file)  Is there any help for old systems?

bug2.txt

Преди 2 часа, James написа:

@copyman: I have updated the download with a fix to that bug. Redownload and reinstall and let me know if it now works for you. Thanks!

Thanks James! Unfortunately, the program does not start again, but the error from the previous time does not appear. I dug through the logs and copied what I found (file attached)

bug3.txt

Преди 10 часа, James написа:

@copyman: That's the same crash. Are you sure you downloaded it again and ran the new one? (Try clearing your browser cache.)

I am testing it on MacOS Mojave (in a VM) right now and it is working.

I've downloaded it several times through different browsers, My Mac OS version is 13.9 that's High Sierra, not Mojave - although I don't believe there's that much of a difference. I will try to delete everything and reinstall it.

Regards

Milen

Edited by copyman

46 minutes ago, James said:

@mactavish: I just tested on MacOS Sierra 10.12. I got it working, and am making an update right now.

That’s FANTASTIC, I can’t upgrade my 2011 MacBook Pro beyond High Sierra, but am trying to stick with Sierra. Appreciate the support for OLD systems and hardware. A shame the Apple App Store does not allow “vape apps”, as my iPad mini is new and can be updated. 

@mactavish: You mean "Apple's" iPad mini.

Download the installer now. I've updated it with a Sierra-compatible version. Enjoy :) 

As an aside, our Windows version still works on Windows XP SP3. I haven't seen any meaningful improvement in operating systems in nearly 20 years. Just more spyware and more chains. Oh, and less well-researched and less well-done user interface design. So, yes, I intend to keep it working with older computers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

На 7.10.2022 г. at 21:50, James написа:

I've updated the MacOS download of EScribe Suite SP45. This update makes it compatible with MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) and up. If it didn't work for you before, download it now and it should.

Many thanks James - latest version works on High Sierra 10.13.6!

P.S.  I have edited the BG language file to the latest version SP45 - I would be very happy if the old language file from a few years ago is finally replaced 😛

Edited by copyman
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, James said:

I've posted a new service pack, SP45, for EScribe Suite. It includes test firmware for DNA Color devices, with "Session Mode" and fixed "Temp Sensing Detect". Let me know if you run into any bugs with it! Enjoy :)

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66731-early-firmware-and-escribe-suite/?do=findComment&comment=939267

I think this firmware (1_1_SP55_1_INT.sw-service) broke "Temp Sensing Detect" for me, previously was working fine.

Device: DNA 400 Color, Hammer Of God.

Now, when I refill the atomizer with liquid (I guess it cools it down), it doesn't start heating at the set temperature, at which was working fine up to that moment. I need to raise temperature for around 30 deg. C or more for the device to start heating. Then after few puffs the vapor becomes too hot and I need to return to the original temperature.

Nothing was changed except for the firmware upgrade, the atomizer was never removed from the device and even it has the same coil (sometimes dry burned and changed cotton, of course). The material is 317L Haywire from steam-engine.org, which I repeat, was working fine before. Preheat on or off, it doesn't matter.

On the graph the first few puffs look like normal, like the temperature is rising and maintaning, but in reality the coil isn't heated and I draw only cool air. If I don't raise the temperature, I never get any vapor, no matter how hard I draw.

To my amateur untrained eye it looks like it doesn't update the coil resistance. But on the other hand, when I click on "measure ohms", although there is a difference of 0,03 ohms or more, that doesn't change the behavior. Neither locking ohms does.

I am sure the device is set up properly, Mod Resistance was measured with a copper tool, also Case Analyzer was done, but most importantly, it was working fine before the firmware upgrade. I upgraded it just recently, around ten days ago.

Edit: Yes, the coil is tight. In fact, when it started acting up, that was the first thing I thought of, so I tightened the coil with a longer screwdriver, nearly to the point of breaking the threads, but it changed nothing.

Edited by MacVap

Does it fix it to revert back to the old firmware? The main difference is that, past firmwares (recent ones anyway) had a bug where it would only detect if a coil was temperature sensing once, and never again until the device powered down. Now, it should detect after getting a new coil. By any chance do you only take puffs shorter than 1 second? This is the detection time for it to decide if a coil is temperature sensing or not. (If so, it applies preheat. If not, it does not.)

• Like 1

I haven't tried to revert to the old firmware. I will try it now.

No puffs shorter than 1 second. In fact, when this started to happen, I tried taking very long puffs (of air) in hope to cool the coil and to force it to start working normally. Very rarely it succeeds, but it is very slow (gives low temperature of vapor and then I have to increase the temperature anyway).

Another thing I noticed, when I change material, it always asks me if it's a new coil (it detects the difference). This time the difference is bigger, as opposed to when I "measure resistance" in Escribe. This coil (double coil in fact, in parallel) is 0,36 ohms and then it asks me if this is 0,44 ohms. Heated after some puffs, of course. When I measure resistance in Escribe it goes up to around 0,39 ohms.

Edit: With the old firmware it reverted to the old behavior, it doesn't have this gap in temperature to start, but everything is too hot, even at 100 deg Celsius. This started soon before I upgraded, in fact, that's why I looked in the forum if anyone noticed that behavior and I saw there is a new firmware.

With the new firmware, now I noticed (and it happenned before, but I couldn't read the small letters) it says "Temperature protect" when I start (after a refill) at low-ish temperature (around 140 Celsius), but when I increase it to say around 230 C it starts working. This "Temperature protect" message goes away at any temperature after two or three tries, but it doesn't start heating regardless. And of course, when it starts working at 230 C it's very hot, that's the behavior I mentioned in my previous post.

Most probably there is something wrong with my atomizer, I will dismantle it when I have backup atomizer up and running. Looking for shorts, wash it and make a fresh coil. But this behavior is consistent.

In the meantime, I re-downloaded the material (SS 317L) from Steam Engine and the numbers in the CSV are differrent, maybe they updated it, but the behavior in my setup hasn't changed. The wire is from a reputable vendor (zivipf.de) and I think that isn't a problem.

Edited by MacVap

Here are two graphs from device monitor, one when cold (was working until seconds ago, just refilled e-juice), and one after I "persuaded" it to work by raising the temp to 230 C. Both graphs are at 170 C, didn't include the temp set and many other parameters for clarity.

Interestingly, I can't see the temperature on the graph, not sure what is happening here, I think I saw it earlier. Maybe it really doesn't detect the coil as temp sensing?

Just in case, I am also attaching the profile settings. Mod resistance is 0,0065 ohms.

Profile.jpg

Cold.csv Warm.csv

As a side note, not connected (only) to this case, I notice that the room temperature as reported by all my DNA devices is always around 6 to 8 degrees Celsius higher than actual. I have performed thermal calibration on all of them and after that they work better in temperature mode, so that tells me that I am not doing something terribly wrong. :)

Edited by MacVap

• 4 weeks later...