Theme Designers 'Top Downloads' panel - count spamming. STOP!

Wayneo

12 minutes ago, Mr.Bottomfeeder said:

However, I don't understand why someone should download a theme and not install and test it on his mod.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Bottomfeeder said:

Therefore, I don't see any real point in using a foreign commentary system if Evolv already offers one.

I agree with these points. This should be the way but unfortunately this is not how things go. People download stuff for a lot of reasons. Maybe it's for later, maybe they are like me and want to download a lot of themes fast so I can test them out. It's just quite a egocentric way to view the world.

Other users who don't have an account cannot leave you feedback. This has lowered the barrier to review instantly so they don't have to give Evolv any of their details. I personally try to avoid giving out as much info as possible and wouldn't bother to make a account just to review a theme. You have to understand people don't just sit there and review themes. Especially if it's a hassle to make an account.

You are right, I saw this from my personal point of view.
There can certainly be reasons to download a large number of topics at the same time.
For me as a little perfectionist that doesn't normally make sense.
But everyone is different😉

Uh, I didn't know that - that only real members can comment on themes.
I thought anyone can leave comments and criticism.
Then I would prefer to give everyone the opportunity to leave a note about their experience with the themes.
Sure, there will be more work for the mods cleaning up the forum and deleting fake comments and other crap left behind.
But I totally agree - creating an account just to leave your comment is too much work for a normal user.
He'll be more than happy to find the download area at all.
Now, I don't wonder why there ar so fewer comments and critism than I would expect.

Every theme on that front page 'TOP PANEL', I'll GIVE THE COUNT ON THE THEME FOR THE PRIOR DAY, MAYBE AS A REVIEW OR A COMMENT.  When a NEW theme shows up, I'll do a deep dive of how it got there, starting on the 21st. 

Download Stats for April 18, 2021 Sorted alphabetically.  Designer named.

@  Commodoretheme.  Downloads 5
@  Frank65theme.  Downloads 11
@  Khaled shehabtheme.  Downloads 2
@  Mr.  Bottomfeedertheme.  Downloads 1
@  Skittheme.  Downloads 3
@  Stepladdertheme.  Downloads 2
@  zarktheme.  Downloads 1

Yearly TOP panel.  Unnamed downloads
Example 1 theme.  Downloads 2
Example 2 theme.  Downloads 2
Example 3 theme.  Downloads 9

Summary:  No spammy downloads for any of the named 7, plus 3 unnamed.

• Like 2

Gents, just a bit of commentary.
For starters, those that have been here and getting notifications have noticed that 2 posts have disappeared. Each was hidden by the respective author, not me.

This post has a singular focus, to stop download count spamming. That's it, that's all.

This forum is rather unique, I can't think of any other board mfgr. that caters to their users like this one. I can think of two barely similar that have been completely overrun by spammers.

It's too long to go through and quote comments but I'll just say this.
It is clear that some registered users will just go around 'theme collecting' 4, 5, 6 at a time. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

For every theme on that front page 'TOP PANEL', I'll GIVE THE COUNT ON THE THEME FOR THE PRIOR DAY, MAYBE AS A REVIEW OR A COMMENT.  

When a NEW theme shows up, I'll do a deep dive of how it got there, starting on the 21st. 

Download Stats for April 19, 2021 Sorted alphabetically.  Designer named.

@  Commodoretheme.  Downloads 0 And now hidden by poster.
@  Frank65theme.  Downloads 4
@  Khaled shehabtheme.  Downloads 1
@  Mr.  Bottomfeedertheme.  Downloads 1
@  Skittheme.  Downloads 2
@  Stepladdertheme.  Downloads 10
@  zarktheme.  Downloads 2

Yearly TOP panel.  Designer unnamed.
unnamed 1 theme.  Downloads 5
unnamed 2 theme.  Downloads 2
unnamed 3 theme.  Downloads 6

* The entire listing of 7 plus the unnamed 3 includes every single theme that is on the weekly, monthly, and yearly 'Top Downloads' panel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Интересное решение по статистике, до спама у меня было более 8000 загрузок, теперь чуть более 3000. Модераторы, вас не напрягает уничтожать мои достижения?

печать.jpg

vor 4 Stunden schrieb zark:

Модераторы, вас не напрягает уничтожать мои достижения?

Hey, honestly - what interest should the moderators have, especially since they don't publish any themes themselves?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wayneo said:

счетчик загрузок стал точнее для всех тем. Мы ничего не разрушили.

Когда, я смотрю на счетчик Френка, то не знаю, что думать

печать.jpg

vor 14 Minuten schrieb zark:

Когда, я смотрю на счетчик Френка, то не знаю, что думать

I find it just as noticeable as the continued strong presence of another theme author, although it may also be due to my subjective evaluation.

Overall, however, I trust that they are trying to keep the download numbers clean and I really think that's okay.

I had fixated myself on these numbers in the past - maybe the counters should just be turned off, hidden, if that's what the trouble is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gwyar said:

Раньше я зацикливался на этих цифрах - может, стоит просто отключить счетчики, спрятать, если в этом проблема.

Я уже предлагал либо обнулить все счетчики, либо убрать только статистику за несколько дней спама.

Я тоже не поклоняюсь цифрам счетчика, но я лично общался с минимум двенадцатью пользователями моей темы и все они сказали, что изначально нашли тему в рейтинге наиболее скачиваемых тем. Значит для авторов важно быть в лидерах загрузок и оценок. Мои пользователи, в основном русскоязычные и не могут полноценно пользоваться сайтом, они пользуются таблицами рейтингов, а я исчез в первой таблице , значит я потерял потенциальных подписчиков и пользователей, а это означает отсутствие новых отзывов И предложений.

печать.jpg

vor 42 Minuten schrieb zark:

Я уже предлагал либо обнулить все счетчики, либо убрать только статистику за несколько дней спама.

Я тоже не поклоняюсь цифрам счетчика, но я лично общался с минимум двенадцатью пользователями моей темы и все они сказали, что изначально нашли тему в рейтинге наиболее скачиваемых тем. Значит для авторов важно быть в лидерах загрузок и оценок. Мои пользователи, в основном русскоязычные и не могут полноценно пользоваться сайтом, они пользуются таблицами рейтингов, а я исчез в первой таблице , значит я потерял потенциальных подписчиков и пользователей, а это означает отсутствие новых отзывов И предложений.

печать.jpg

Of course you have a special position here - in a positive sense - and I also understand that it is easier for your compatriots to find a theme in Russian directly via the toplist.
But still: it is as it is; an English language forum.
Perhaps it would be a possibility, the moderators would attach your theme, which has no alternative in Russian on this platform, on the first page as a recommendation. But this decision can only be made by the moderators.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gwyar said:

Но все же: все как есть; англоязычный форум.
Возможно, модераторы прикрепили бы вашу тему, у которой нет альтернативы на русском языке на этой платформе

Я не прошу особых условий, но поскольку Escribe переведен на некоторые языки (в настройках форума тоже есть возможность просмотра на своем языке), то возможно, было бы не плохо создать таблицы рейтингов с сортировкой по языкам, на которых написаны темы. Сразу скажу что поиск по тегам не используют большинство новых пользователей. На постсоветском пространстве люди старше 35 лет в основном не имеют достаточного опыта работы в интернете, они обладают минимальными навыками навигации по сайтам, по этому все должно быть просто и на поверхности.

печать.jpg

7 hours ago, gwyar said:

I find it just as noticeable as the continued strong presence of another theme author, although it may also be due to my subjective evaluation.

Overall, however, I trust that they are trying to keep the download numbers clean and I really think that's okay.

I had fixated myself on these numbers in the past - maybe the counters should just be turned off, hidden, if that's what the trouble is.

I think every Designer should want to have an accurate count.

Moderators are constrained by the rights given to us by Administrators. Administrators are constrained by the limits of the software.

This topic had one (1) singular goal in mind. To stop the manipulation of theme download counts.

You need to look at this from a user perspective. (all just my opinion)
Many users only look at a flashy wallpaper first
Some look for a Theme in their native language
Some look for a logo or name of their mod
Some look for a 'kitchen sink' theme, providing nearly every configurable feature of the board
Some look for a clean screen

Frank's theme embodies all of those to some degree. 28 separate files, 14 in English and 14 in Italian with a great Theme title "✪ Therion - Paranormal - Mirage and others - Replay Ready - English & Italian ✪"

Go add some flashy or gaudy wallpaper. Cartoon character, current movie character, different color background or text.

If you want the attention you believe you deserve, right there in the 'About' ask downloaders to sign up and leave a comment or review

I keep a long list of quotes. I think this one is fitting.    "Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer."

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
В 01.05.2021 в 13:09, zark сказал:

Мои пользователи, в основном русскоязычные и не могут полноценно пользоваться сайтом, они пользуются таблицами рейтингов

В таком случае намного проще будет просто ввести дополнительные критерии по поиску, сформировать список дефолтных критериев для составления списка тем(например, изначально включенные критерии поиска темы для всех, кто открыл страницу с темами) и возможность применять теги-категории для настройки поиска(например, "забавные" темы, "стандартный функционал" и подобные. Если подобные категории будут показываться перед выбором конкретной темы и иметь цветовое кодирование, авторам тем будет проще каталогизировать свою конкретную тему, пользователи сразу смогут посмотреть, к какому типу относится тема и т.д. 

Изначальный вопрос, поднятый в теме, конечно, создал уникальный прецедент с накруткой, которая в современном мире уже звучит как сюр. Однако, подобное может существовать только в условиях, когда здоровая и функциональная конкуренция "на результат" не имеет место быть и все сваливается в одну кучу. 

• Like 1

I have changed the way downloads are counted -- if there are two files, and both are downloaded, in Total Downloads they will only show  up as one download. This will make the count not biased against single-file themes. I have also extended the bot detection to remove fake downloads.

I see your concern, though. Finding non-English themes really is not very easy right now. I have contacted the people who make our forum software to ask if they would make a language-specific "Top Downloads". Other than that, hmm. How do you translate "Russian Language Forum" to Russian?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 44 Minuten schrieb James:

I have changed the way downloads are counted -- if there are two files, and both are downloaded, in Total Downloads they will only show  up as one download. This will make the count not biased against single-file themes.

I think that's a sensible approach, which has already changed the counters of some themes a lot. But is actually consistent - the number of colors, logos, languages, etc. doesn't make a theme better or worse itself.

AND there is more real feedback about the interest in the theme, or whether "just" different variants are tried out. Not to mention the collectors ...

I have also extended the bot detection to remove fake downloads.

Everyone loves downloads, but now this was really scary - what kind of bot was that? With my "2 in 1" that was ~ 1500 downloads in a very short time!

I have contacted the people who make our forum software to ask if they would make a language-specific "Top Downloads"

Great suggestion

Edited by gwyar
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...