Replay maximum temperature?

MacVap

I still don't have a DNA C. I've watched many videos and read everything I could, but nowhere did I find the temperature limit of Replay mode; or, quite possiby, I got something wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, Replay can be recorded and played even in Watts mode (furthermore, I think Replay in temp mode would be pointless - you'd be better off continuing to use temp mode; does it even exist in temp mode?), so what would be limit of maximum temperature reached, if any?

I know Evolv pays great attention to safe temperatures in vaping, so I doubt it would be something irresponsible, but what is the actual number?

I don't see how there can be one.  You don't have to tell it what material you're using therefore it doesn't know the TCR so can't know what temperature it's at.

I've only played with it a little but I guess it's just trying to replicate the resistance curve from the saved puff.  So I guess if you record a puff with a saturated wick the max temp is going to be somewhere around the boiling point of your liquid.

I'm a fairly experienced TC user so I prefer to be able to set and tune the parameters manually,  so I only tried replay out briefly, maybe someone more knowledgeable  can chime in.

6 hours ago, MacVap said:

I still don't have a DNA C. I've watched many videos and read everything I could, but nowhere did I find the temperature limit of Replay mode; or, quite possiby, I got something wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, Replay can be recorded and played even in Watts mode (furthermore, I think Replay in temp mode would be pointless - you'd be better off continuing to use temp mode; does it even exist in temp mode?), so what would be limit of maximum temperature reached, if any?

I know Evolv pays great attention to safe temperatures in vaping, so I doubt it would be something irresponsible, but what is the actual number?

Basically you dont need to use TC at all with replay, or at least I dont. Replay is just a simpler and better form of temp control

All I do is screw on the atomiser with any TC  wire and adjust the watts until I am happy with the vapor then hit "save puff".  Every puff after that will be the same as the one you set it on. 

You dont need to know the wire type or tcr and it doesn't matter if the wire type is even available on the mod as long as replay can sense a resistance change it will work for example I put a joyetech riftcore duo atomiser, the one with the ceramic plates, on a 75c and it worked perfectly in replay mode

As far as your question about maximum temp goes that would be purely set by the watts the more watts the hotter it gets i dont think there is an actual number

• 2 months later...

There is no temp ceiling for replay, that is why high wattage vapers like it. You could be vaping at 800F and it would play it over and over. Technically there is no limit and it WILL replay a burnt hit so it’s down to the user to find the spot and save it. It’s quite annoying sometimes. Switching it from tc into replay is the most inaccurate “replay” tho, you can tell by the monitor how each puff is slightly different when you are recording the temperature and the curve slightly different each time. Too little to notice without the monitor tho.

Replay does override the max temp setting, but I think the case that has not been mentioned is using a temp limited puff as your seed puff.  This is a bit of an edge case and most of the time if you have temp control working well I would stick with that, but adding replay can help with set ups with less stable resistance.

TC+Replay gives really good results. Here's why:

Say you have something that takes a lot of power like dual 26ga NiFethal coils, 0.12 ohm, wants 75-100 watts. You set them up in a TC profile that is replay capable, set your temperature and preheat, etc... Get a good puff limited to 450 F or whatever you want. Now save that puff. Replay will try to follow the resistance curve it recorded. That will let the power and temperature vary somewhat, but it will still stay near the temp you set on the saved puff because it is controlling the resistance during firing... but with the more power-focused tuning of Replay.

Yes, TC alone will keep the temp and resistance rock-steady, but that's not always what you want. I like how replay will cut or boost the power to a greater degree than straight TC. I've found that when you are taking lighter puffs, TC just kind of cooks the juice onto the coils and you get a lot of dried-up gunk. Replay won't do that, it cuts the power. 

Replay alone: You can get dry hits if the wick was too dry when you saved the puff.

TC alone: Can still cook your juice if you're not puffing hard enough for the build

Replay+TC solves both of those problems.

I still struggle with the REPLAY mode.

Yesterday for example I tried my new atomizers (a Das Ding clone and a Corona V8 clone) with my Triade DNA250C and with my old Therion DNA75.

On the DNA75 I used them both on Wattage and TC mode, on the DNA250C I used both on REPLAY and TC mode.

Result: In Wattage and/or TC Mode on the DNA75 the taste is much better. More crisp and more flavour.

In REPLAY mode it tastes flat... I also have to raise the Wattage and Temp to get even near a god taste.

When I compare them both on the same Wattage (40 W) and Temp (235°C) there is a big difference in taste (and clouds, for which I don't really care, but it is noticeable).

The coils are on both atomizers simple dual SS304 round material (0,4 mm) and the Ohms are around 0,2 and 0,3.

I even used the same liquid, which is a fruity stuff (VG70/PG30).

It's really frustrating, as I expected much more taste from these atomizers, especially as they are both told to be something "special" in relation to flavour.

Did not have the time yet to compare both mods on the monitor, but will try soon.

But I watched something like 10 wicking videos yesterday and it seems I did nothing wrong in that area.

Any ideas what I can try to get better taste out of them ?

In comaprison to the new atomizers I have no problems whatever when I use my Tsunami GT III or GT IV on both mods.

They taste both great, but I can go about 10 Watts lower on the DNA75 (50 W with TC enabled) to get the same vape as from the DNA250C (60 W with TC and REPLAY enabled) on a single SS304 round wire with 0,17 Ohms).

Both are set to 210 °C and the DNA 250C is set to no Preheat and the REPLAY is set to minimum warmth, no punch.

I compare them with identical settings with the Tsunami GT IV (single coil, SS304 round material, spaced) @ 210 °C, 70 Watts, no Preheat, no Punch, Replay set to minimum warmth.

The only obvious difference I see (despite the different curves they produce) is the difference in the measured Ohms (0,174 vs. 0,182).

There is also a huge effect in comparison to the last escribe version, as the new one is sooooo slow, even the monitor is stopping at some point without reason.

I have to wait for even a minute to get it running.

I also recognized that the 2 mods have different screens in the settings... for example I can not see (or measure) the Ohms on the DNA75 as you see on the pics.

Why is that so different ? I don't think that it should matter which DNA I connect to have the same GUI and settings/possibilities/values.

There should also be no difference when I use the same settings for the same atomizer to (re-)produce the same vape.

Or as someone yesterday in a wick video said: I am a customer, and you can not expect that everyone is a trained technician or electrician, to use these devices (which by the way I am, and even I struggle with it!).

EVERYONE can buy them, so the target should be that also EVERYONE should get a decent vape out of them regardless of his knowledge. Right out of the box I should say.

Without needing a master certificate to handle them properly.

Companies (not only Evolvapour, but also the atomizer manufacturer, mod manufacturer, etc.) should think a moment about this... as the target should be EVERY smoker in the world.

Regardless how sophisticated or intelligent he is in handling these devices.

Just thinking...

DNA 75 settings.png

DNA75.png

DNA 250C settings.png

DNA250C.png

I also can not deactivate the battery charging on the DNA250C (which is useful when

On the DNA75 I can under the battery options I can set the tick to "This mod uses an external battery charger".

On the DNA250C this is missing.

DNA75 Battery settings.png

DNA250C Battery settings.png

Instead I have a dropdown field to choose the charging mode, which also lacks the option to choose an external charger.

At least you should be consistent with the options when you make a software that supports different mods/models.

Edited by Lanzarotechris
additional info about battery screen

On 10/23/2018 at 9:07 AM, Lanzarotechris said:

I also recognized that the 2 mods have different screens in the settings... for example I can not see (or measure) the Ohms on the DNA75 as you see on the pics.

Different architecture and generation boards. On your 75, click Atomizer Analyzer button.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:07 AM, Lanzarotechris said:

I also can not deactivate the battery charging on the DNA250C (which is useful when

Different generation board. Click Diagnostics in Device Monitor.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot... I was really missing the 2nd setting as I use an external charger.

Any idea why the different curves on the monitor, or why the ohms are different ?

Like I said: same atty, same settings, only different mod (DNA75 vs. DNA250C).

The ohms should be identical, right ? (and yes, I have had let them cool down)

BTW: just a thing about the forum navigation... where can I and others see my "About Me" page ?

I can't see it if I don't log in (external visitor like), but I can also noone's page too (I chaecked a few members pages and there is no lik to "About Me".

Is it only for the staff or what is its function ? I thought it would appear for at least forum-members who are interested and visit my profile page.

Edited by Lanzarotechris
additional text

1 hour ago, Lanzarotechris said:

Any idea why the different curves on the monitor, or why the ohms are different ?

Like I said: same atty, same settings, only different mod (DNA75 vs. DNA250C).

The ohms should be identical, right ? (and yes, I have had let them cool down)

Damn, I wished you hadn't noticed that. And here's where we get into different mods again. This will all sound Greek, you might need to read it a couple times.

If both mods were properly thermally calibrated your room temps would be closer.

If both mods had their internal resistance properly set, your mod would take into account those unique minute differences in connection losses up to and including the 510 connector of the mod.

Now even if both those were done, the non C mod (Your 75) uses the info above to derive the 'refined' value of the ohms of that coil at 70F based on that derived room temp at the time. (So long as you didn't lock the resistance).

Here's the difference

A Color mod uses the current Ω and same current derived room temp as its base values, and writes that into the profile it was created.  Hence 'a' difference. BUT if one were to refine your SS304 coil to 70F it would drop the value even further to ~.1725Ω (using the tcr of 0.00100) compared to your .182Ω on the 75.

These all play into it. 

2 hours ago, Lanzarotechris said:

BTW: just a thing about the forum navigation... where can I and others see my "About Me" page ?

I dunno, I can't remember seeing or noticing an 'About me'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayneo said:

Damn, I wished you hadn't noticed that

hehe, THAT never will work with me,... I have a special sense for little details 😉

But if you have said something like it is calibration related I could live with that.

But I guess I should try stop comparing the DNA75 with the new C-models.

(But it was so easy to handle and to set up... still my favourite, except for the battery problem)

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/70404-therion-dna75-outer-battery-not-discharging-how-to-fix-it/

And what about the slow monitor software ? any thoughts on that ? Until the version before, it was flawless...

Got a ubuntu upgrade too last week, but as the windows version is also laggy, that could not be the reason.

It just stops measuring after a minute or so, and then I have to wait for 1 or 2, and then it stops again after a couple of minutes...

Hard to work with, as I have to constantly wait for the right moment to make the puff...

About the "about me" page.. its in your profile... on the main page you get the activity view and on top of it there is a 2nd "tab" called "about me".

I filled it out right after the registration, but it seems noone can see it, which is a little bit silly, right ?

With a right-click on it I get this link :

https://forum.evolvapor.com/profile/211019-lanzarotechris/?tab=field_core_pfield_1

looks like this:

image.thumb.png.ce825d358593b14e3ec80f1bbaf4e6d3.png

Edited by Lanzarotechris
added screenshot