Linux EScribe Suite Beta Thread

On 2017-11-24 at 0:20 PM, ekalle said:

Tested newest version and found some bugs
1. Offered software update. Download works but apply does not work. Opens a window with shell script and end in error
2. Upgrade device does not work. Complaints that the device is being used by other program
3. Login to internet option does not work. Selectable but nothing happens when you select.

After more use:
Nothing on drop down menu does work as it should.
Most selections do nothing at all, except for:
-Units Metric/US standard is working but it does not remember selection on next start
-Language is just blank box, no languages selectable
-Interface. If you select anything else but clean, both setting appears to be selected 

You're on the way to to make a great linux version!

50 minutes ago, Canadianvape said:

those commands didn't work out, ill just use it on windows till I figure it out

Ah, it sounds like the installer file isn't 'executable' when you download it. No biggie - that's a pretty normal thing when downloading executable files (scripts and such).

There are a few ways to make the file an executable. If the file is owned by your user account (it usually is, if you've just downloaded it and you were running the browser from your normal user account), usually right clicking (in a gui based file manager - Nautilus, Caja, Dolphin, etc) and looking through the file properties will usually yield some results (look for something along the lines of "allow executing file as program" and tick that).

If you'd rather go at it from a terminal -

chmod +x /path/filename

(this will work only if the file is owned by you. If you are getting some sort of permission denied problem - then the file is probably not owned by you. Use "sudo chmod +x /path/filename" to do the chmod as root. Nobody denies root! :)).

So, for example - if I've saved the installer in a "Downloads" subdirectory in my home directory (ie - /home/fractal/Downloads) the command would look like -

chmod +x ~/Downloads/SetupEScribe2_SP9_INTL.run

(The "~" is shorthand for /home/your-user-name if you haven't encountered that before)

After I've made the installer executable, I can then run it with -

cd ~/Downloads/

./SetupEScribe2_SP9_INTL.run

(First command : Changes to the directory where you downloaded the installer - substitute "~/Downloads/" for wherever you downloaded the installer).

(Second Command : Run the installer. The "./" part at the beginning is important - in this context, it essentially means 'run this thing located in the directory that I am currently in').

Hopefully this helps get you a bit closer to sorting it out :).

• Thanks 1

I'm a longtime lurker, but never felt the need to post before now. I just wanted to thank the Evolv team for this Linux port of the Escribe suite. The most recent version (SP9 US) works beautifully for me on my laptop running Manjaro Linux (an Arch derivative). The package names were slightly different on my distribution, but the instructions provided by James and Fractal worked wonderfully.

I've been using various flavors of Linux as my primary OS since the late '90s, and the only reason I've kept a Windows partition on my laptop was so I could tweak my mod in Escribe. Now I can finally back up my Windows installation and remove it completely, so I can free-up space on my hard drive.

Thanks again for all of your efforts in making this happen.

Edited by Odysseus
  • Like 1

On Ubuntu 16.04, it turns out Ubuntu's global menu bar interferes with GTK 2 when I use dynamic menus.

If you run the program with

env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= ~/.opt/local/evolv/escribe-suite/launch-escribe-suite

it will work. The next release will do this automatically.

• Thanks 1

Upon further testing in Fedora 27, it seems everything so far has been working right.  I used device monitor successfully, I have successfully applied a service pack and changed profiles.   The UI seems to be a pretty OK GTK look would blend well on any GTK linux desktop.  And the automatic privilege negotiation worked well I had to do very little if anything to get EScribe working.  Great port.

Edit:  Oh yeah, for online stuffs to work in Fedora I had to run "cert-sync /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt" as superuser

Edited by lainlives

• 3 weeks later...

Im also having trouble getting this to install in Ubuntu 16.04. Im not very good with terminal and cant seem to get the file to do anything but open up terminal manager. I have all the required add ons installed but no luck getting the file to run. Please help.

On 2017-12-22 at 3:57 AM, AlanB said:

Im also having trouble getting this to install in Ubuntu 16.04. Im not very good with terminal and cant seem to get the file to do anything but open up terminal manager. I have all the required add ons installed but no luck getting the file to run. Please help.

have to make the file executable first

This will fix it

sudo chmod 755 [filename]

On 2017-11-28 at 4:56 PM, James said:

@ekalle, all of those things work for me on both Debian and Mint. What sort of window manager, distribution, etc. are you running?

Standard Ubuntu 16.04LTS with the addons specified in the instruction text above.

Edited by ekalle

ekalle and James just wanted to let you know I got the problem fixed. After getting some rest and revisiting this I realized there was a step I missed in fractal's post. I went back thru and redid the install and it worked perfectly. Now I just gotta get my hands on a DNA Device and try the software out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-11 at 10:00 PM, James said:

I've posted a SP12 beta for Linux. Enjoy :)

It includes SP6.1 for DNA 60 and SP6 for DNA 250, as well as usability improvements to the Theme Designer. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Tested! Works fine!
Now, the drop down menu  works  on Ubuntu 16.04LTS., with the stock window manager.
Good work!