After the revision of the vtbox200

MuTong

Forget what i said ... my dna200 just died !
I did nothing special ... the fuse is ok but nothing is working. i tried everything.
When i connect the battery i can see a spark ! so i think something burnt and now there is some shortcut somewhere.
There is a serious problems with your chipset Evolv !

vidalcris said:

I'm pretty sure the problem is the chipset only. There is absolutely nothing around the chip that can make a problem happen ;)
I will post a picture later to show the component who become hot now that the chipset is dead.

Have you contacted who ever made the device and asked them to check it out under warranty? It is easy to say it is the board when one doesn't really know the cause.

chris, first of all the spark when you connect the battery is NORMAL, it's the on board capacitors charging up. second of all most of the board failures so far have been caused by the mods there installed in, NOT the chip itself. third, do you type with sandpaper on your keyboard man, can't remember the last time I've seen anyone post as abrasively as you bro :)

Sorry if i'm so abrasive :P my english is not good enough to try to speak about this and not being abrasive at the same time i think .. lol

Abrasive on :
Give me some reason for the chipset to die because of the mod itself please..
I already opened completely mine so i can see that there is two wire for the battery and two wire for the 510 (btw there is also the balance charging connection..)
All those solder are pretty clean so i dont see any problems coming from here.
The box was working perfectly fine, i just connected an atty and the chipset burned directly when i pushed the fire button. that was not even a shorted atty ;)
Oh also now there is a little component with 5 pins who become really hot when i connect the battery or the usb.

vidalcris said:

Sorry if i'm so abrasive :P my english is not good enough to try to speak about this and not being abrasive at the same time i think .. lol

Abrasive on :
Give me some reason for the chipset to die because of the mod itself please..
I already opened completely mine so i can see that there is two wire for the battery and two wire for the 510 (btw there is also the balance charging connection..)
All those solder are pretty clean so i dont see any problems coming from here.
The box was working perfectly fine, i just connected an atty and the chipset burned directly when i pushed the fire button. that was not even a shorted atty ;)
Oh also now there is a little component with 5 pins who become really hot when i connect the battery or the usb.

These mods were notorious for blowing boards. Seeing "good solder" doesn't mean that there is not a short somewhere. It could be cold solder joints that appear ok on the exterior preventing a proper connection, or problems the board experienced prior to you receiving it, or a number of other factors. If you will send your mod to Evolv they can diagnose it and give you a good answer. But those of who have been keeping an eye on these chips from very early on can tell you that while a bad board is possible, you need more than a mod known for poor construction, materials, and build quality to make such a determination. With the 510 connection issues seen in the mod you have, it wouldn't surprise me if the short occurred  inside the 510 or due to grounding.

Thanks for your help :)
I will send back the board to evolv today ! i hope that will not take too long to come back to me.

I was thinking about the ground problem today..
If i well understood, we can use the ground or not, this is not a problem. But if we use the ground we need a good connection right ? maybe the problem was that .. because the box is aluminum and there is only two screws to maintain the dna200 :-/

vidalcris said:

Thanks for your help :)
I will send back the board to evolv today ! i hope that will not take too long to come back to me.

I was thinking about the ground problem today..
If i well understood, we can use the ground or not, this is not a problem. But if we use the ground we need a good connection right ? maybe the problem was that .. because the box is aluminum and there is only two screws to maintain the dna200 :-/

I think it is always better to use a wire to connect the 510 shell to the board.  Using the mod box itself as a conductor requires a bit more than most DIY builders (and apparently some big mod manufacturers alike) can reliably do.  There is a reason why homes with aluminum wiring burned down.  Aluminum oxidizes and aluminum oxide is a great insulator.

So the takeaway is, use wire to ground the 510.  It's only one additional wire and one less issue to have to deal with.

this mod does use a separate ground wire for the 510. actually, aside from the ejecting 510 and the suicide battery connectors of the first ones, the construction itself of these don't look too bad. they do really shove the battery in there as a tight fit pressed against the 510 and they do only support the chip from 2 mounting points instead of 3 but I haven't seen anything that's an obvious chip killer in these.

have there been a lot of these things killing chips? I didn't even think there were that many of these out there yet. biggest complaint I see on these is delay after delay in actually shipping them out

I dont mean that there is no wire between Ground and 510, that was my question : do i need a good connection to ground even if 510 is connected to ground ?

I ask that because when i look at the chipset, i cannot see a direct connection between differents ground .. so, is this better to make a good connection between the grounds ? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It could also be the screen cable being caught under the fire button thats making it look like its dead I had this problem with a custom one that was built for me. I fixed this by putting a small piece of cotton bud that i cut down just between the fire button and the ribbon cable and not had a problem since.

• 3 weeks later...

i got my chip evolv DNA200 connected to my pc. it shows like the pic,then i select "yes",then its go updated.. however,it showed failed and need retry or not,then i click retry but failed again...and then,the chip was failed and not work,not show anything,its black... i have no idea,any one knows why and what should i do... 

Later,i got another chip,and its show the same,but i select "NO",then it shows ok and said"10th,June,2015"something like this...   Please help...thank you.

yes.png 

I would go to the early fw thread and download the version of that date, update them both then update to the latest

or direct download https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-17.exe

ETA I think I got that wrong and maybe you just need to do a manual fw update from the tools menu, when you do you will be shown a dialogue window to choose the file and I assume that 20-08-15 will be there try that then let it update normally.

• 2 weeks later...
vidalcris said:

I'm pretty sure the problem is the chipset only. There is absolutely nothing around the chip that can make a problem happen ;)
I will post a picture later to show the component who become hot now that the chipset is dead.

VT200's (not the hiCigar) have issues ... they look pretty but you need to rewire them with better wire and solder joints