IMR or only li-poly

FireBALL

It appears that IMR 18650s can be used but you would need an accessory board from Evolv to convert them to a pack with the appropriate tap connector.

Page 10 of the datasheet says the following:

"If you are manufacturing a device that is designed to be used with three individual replaceable 18650 cells, an accessory board is available from Evolv to adapt from three individual cells to a pack and tap connector pinout, as well as provide cell-by-cell protection against incorrectly installed or reversed cells."

Also on p13
The DNA 200 runs from a 3s lithium polymer type battery pack. This type of battery requires cell-by-cell battery monitoring and balance charging to operate safely. The DNA 200 connects to the cell taps on the battery pack with a four position JST-XH connector. The tap connector must be connected for the DNA 200 to run.

I have not seen this accessory board for sale anywhere which leads me to believe its not going to be out with the release of this chip. It's something coming a little later. So most people are going to have to use the lipo's till that board is released. Which for me it doesn't matter because I am planning a build for power supply and one for on the go with a lipo.

Balancing tap is nothing more than wired taps on your batteries. If you are going to run 3s IMR's, wire in a balancing tap and the DNA200 will charge and monitor each cell. the eBay link is for reference only

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-3S1P-Balance-Charger-Cable-Wire-JST-XH-Connector-Adapter-Plug-/221751627797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a16d5015

-C

BalWire.jpg

I kept it simple and used springs that will collapse on a short. It wouldnt protect the chip, but it doesn't protect against reversed batteries shorting against each other.

James said:

The reason for an accessory board is to provide reverse voltage protection for each cell. Otherwise you could damage your board and/or batteries in the event you put one in backwards.

On DNA30s I have used a spring with a diameter too big for the +ve battery terminal for -ve connection and a completely flat +ve connection that will not make contact with the -ve end of batteries with a flat bottom and heat shrink extending over the bottom like 25R & VTC4.  It is the flat positive connection that really provides the protection, I have fitted batteries the wrong way 3 or 4 times in another DNA30 I did like this and it is still going after 18 months.
[04_BSpring]

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! I was reading through everything and I had a question about the connection to the board needed. According to the pictures posted of the physical board, there is a 1-3 and a ground. According to the diagram posted earlier, there are 4 connections( 2 pos, 2 neg) but no ground. So my question is, does there need to be a ground and if I plan on doing 26650s can I just solder to each POS part of the cradle? 

Xavier, don't go on the colors used in Cisco's diagram. On the balance connector he means bottom black to GND, then red to 1, black to 2 and top red to 3. Guess he assumed everyone would read it like that. If you use a connector there you can switch between a lipo and imr pack Optionally you can bridge - to GND and + to 3 on the board and only connect wires 1 and 2 to the bridges on the sled. Be advised that any 3*1s setup should wait for the specific extension board to provide single cell reverse battery protection.

• 1 month later...