What battery are you using/planning to use?

Greetings. I'm planning on installing the board in a CNC'd Hammond 1590g size enclosure. I would also like to be able to swap in a fresh battery when the need arises. I know I'd need a charger as well but I'm okay with that. Not sure what else I would need to make that possible. The battery I'm looking at is this one because according to the specs it's only 20mm thick which should be a good fit for the box. Any thoughts would be appreciated, is this a quality battery,etc.
https://rotorquest.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=2064_31_1981&product_id=106383

Many thanks.

John

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 25 yrs ago, I used to build my own battery packs with sub-c's for r/c cars. If you have a good soldering iron and not heat the battery too much, soldering on the contacts is fine. Use flux to tin the contact, tin the wire and then solder them together. 

Looks okay to me Lollerwaffles. Nothing wrong with building a tapped pack out of 18650s if you do it well. 

Besides, you're using Kapton. If you wanted to cause concern, what you want is masking tape holding bare wires to the ends of each cell. 

John when you said, "Using LiFe the max output voltage and the battery cutoff are lower.", does that mean it will not perform on par with the 11 v batteries when chip is set to higher watts or certain preheat - punch settings? Also with the battery cutoff being lower will it over-drain the batteries which could damage them? I just dont want to limit the potential of the chip with the LiFE battery... thanks.

The max output voltage becomes 8.5V when using LiFe. 

The outputs, charge voltages and cutoff voltages adjust appropriately when set to LiFe mode. 

So no, other than not having quite the top end for high power high resistance coils, there's no performance hit. 

Thanks, I just wasnt sure how severe the tolerances were between the two chemistries of batteries. Now the only downside is the size of the lifepo but I plan on keeping the dna200 at home and using dna40 for mobile, so i can have a huge case. Im tempted to make a a123 26650 3s pack but my arms might get a workout just from vaping on the beast.