Theorum TC issues after Crown and TFV4 issues...

For the last few months, my device hasn't been operating like it first did using TC with SS coils in my Crown.  It either faslls out of TC or burns the coils. 

I just bought a Theorum and tried the Notch coil using Steam Engine 316L TCR.  It's still not reading the temp.  It just gives me a dash.  This is the same thing that happens with my Crown coils as well as my Ni200 coils for the TFV4.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? 

Thanks,
Footbag

Yes.  Steam Engine.  I used 9 wraps and 4mm.  I wanted to get the Ohm's to match the .22 that the coil is reading.  I don't know if that changes anything. 

Could a firmware or profile get corrupt?  This seems to be the same issue that I've had with the Crown and TFV4.  I've cleaned all of my contacts, but it's just not performing well.  I've actually been using my SX Mini for a lot of TC stuff wioth RDA's because the DNA 200 had been temperamental.  This is after months of working perfectly.  

Sure it is possible that it could be firmware corruption too (besides what VapingBad has already mentioned). You are not running any of those beta versions, are you? Your configuration could be corrupt too. Save your configuration CTRL-S) before going further. Things to try are:

1) Software reset

2) Hardware reset

3) Resetting to default

My firmware is an older one.  I think the second release.  Not a beta from what I remember. 

It's a Vaporshark, so I can only see so much of the board without taking it apart.  I can do that, but would there be a way to rule it out without taking it apart?  I pulled the battery and looking at the 510, it seems fine, but it's mostly behind the plastic.  I can take it apart if I knew what to look for. 

Is it worth upgrading to a newer firmware first? 

Footbag

Whoa!  New firmware and it's reading the temp.  Gotta get the temp settings right, but it's a lot closer then it was before. 

Footbag

EDIT:  Maybe.  Now it's showing extremely low wattages and very high temps.  Maybe the OHMage is off.  Gotta let it cool down and relock it.  It was really jumping around though. 

Gotcha.  I rand device monitor and the temp is flying all over the place.  The live ohms seems pretty stable as does the power (thought it's low).

So if I open it up, where am I looking?  The 510 or something on the board? 

Footbag

510 wires, wires to the DNA200 board, ground connections, etc. Also when running EScribe, first tab there is an atomizer button at the bottom. That will give you a live ohm reading of your coil. Maybe you can tap and wiggle things and see one that causes it to change all over the place.

footbag said:

Gotcha.  I rand device monitor and the temp is flying all over the place.  The live ohms seems pretty stable as does the power (thought it's low).

So if I open it up, where am I looking?  The 510 or something on the board? 

Footbag

have you tried dripping a bit of juice down the spout to make sure your coil is evenly and constantly wetted seeing as your confirming steady resistance your connections must be (ok) Also now that your upto date on firmware, why not try the pre set values. Lock device and press all three buttons then scroll up or down, select stainless ect. I think stainless is a real b**** to work with, and its too time consuming for me, i like plug and play Ni200/Nife30, but i can replicate what your describing with a dry coil.

Yes. I believe you need to go into EScribe and the material tab, you can add Ni200, Ti, and SS. Then upload to your device. Remember to download your settings from your device first (normally it does this by default, but you can turn this off), or all of your settings will be lost.

Thanks.  Getting closer.  Guess it's not a loose connection. 

The theorem seems to want a very high temp, but it's reading the temp properly.  I have some other SS wire coming and some Ti and Ni at home.  I may play around.  I think I'm getting there though.  Lots of cool changes to the Firmware.  Pretty awesome!

• 2 months later...

I've been testing some Wismec SS Notch coils using the DNA200 and 75.  They are pretty straight forward in Power mode and perform as expected.  In Temp mode... well that's another thing...

Here is a bit about the Notch Coil:

[clear1x1]
Replacement NotchCoil - Pack of 5 for Wismec Theorem or Rebuildable Atomizer

The Stainless Steel 316 NotchCoil is the latest technology from Wismec which may be used in both wattage and stainless steel temperature control mode. Ready to be installed in your favorite RBA/RTA!

The NotchCoil is the same one found in the Theorem Atomizer, designed by JayBo Designs and inspired by "SMM"

Features and Specs:

• Ready to be installed in your favorite RBA/RTA
  • Stainless steel one-piece design
  • Provides great flavor and vapor similar to a Clapton wire build
  • Can be used in Wattage (Power) or Stainless Steel temperature control mode
  • Consistent evenly heated surface area
  • Perfect for low wattage builds
  • Includes organic cotton
  • Inner diameter 4.8mm
  • 0.23ohm
  • Non-resistance +/- Leads
  • Very fast ramp up time
  • Easily rewicked
  • Pack of 5 - Wismec NotchCoil with Cotton

wismec-theorem-atomizer-4_1.jpg 

In Temp mode the coil performs as shown in this screen shot:

notch.png 

I'm wondering why the temp is not more smooth and the temp is fluctuating so much?  (SS316 material setting used) Could it be that a "notch coil" specific TCR is needed.  They heat very quickly and cool quickly thus that could account for the performance as shown in the graph.

Thoughts or experience from others welcome.... :)

retird said:

I'm wondering why the temp is not more smooth and the temp is fluctuating so much?  (SS316 material setting used) Could it be that a "notch coil" specific TCR is needed.  They heat very quickly and cool quickly thus that could account for the performance as shown in the graph.

Thoughts or experience from others welcome.... :)

Have you tried SS316 wire and compared? Or is this the first time you have used SS?

Nope I've not used SS wire as I like simple, fiddle free vaping and use pre-made coils only.  Maybe some who use SS can post a screen shot of Device Monitor for comparison.  Does the graph I posted resemble SS built coils as far as the temp regulation pattern ?  It is a good vape...

Yeah I am not a big fan of SS and I had a very bad experience from it with smell and taste I may go into later. But since the TCR value is so low for SS, the resistance changes far less in regards to temperature than other TC types. Although I just got an idea and I think if the wattage is set slightly too low, it might smooth out.

BillW50 said:

Although I just got an idea and I think if the wattage is set slightly too low, it might smooth out.

Yes it works like I thought it would. Here is a SS316L single coil set at 20 watts on the left. Changed it to 5 watts. See how it smooths out?

2016-07-24_150732.png 

The Notch coil has a lot of mass (surface area) ....  strange animal in temp mode.... I've tried many different temp, wattage, and preheat settings and when the vape doesn't reach set temp it is pretty smooth but a setting that reaches temp setting gives a very different and less smooth graph after it gets to temp...  I contacted Wismec last week but no response yet.... 

THX for your interest.... will continue to play with this animal.... 9_9

What does your Device Monitor show now? I switched to Power Dominant and regulating temp by the wattage instead of the temp. So it is like running SS in power mode except you have the extra TC benefits. I am MTL this SS316L and I set the preheat (I turn it off when using Temperature Dominant) to 20 watts for 1.5 seconds. And maxed out the punch. And this is how it looks now.

2016-07-24_164435.png