2s 18650 discussion

John

I'm making a new thread for discussion and testing of the new support for 2s batteries here. The firmware update to allow it should be posted shortly. 

To use 2s mode, you have to make taps from the battery as usual, but because there is no third cell, the tap connection labelled 3 must be connected directly to the tap connection labelled 2. This can be done in the wire harness or by jumpering the connections directly on the board. This is the ONLY way that 2s batteries will work and balance correctly. 

Other than that, it is just a matter of selecting 2 cell rather than 3 cell in the battery section. 

You can use 2 cells with lipos, LiFePO4 or cylindrical lithium ion. 

The max power and max preheat are 133 watts when running from 2 cells.

Attached is a battery curve for a 2s pack of  LG 18650 HE2 cells. This is probably a good starting point for high drain 18650s. The measured capacity was 15.5 watt hours.

LG18650HE2.zip

would it be possible to select between 2s & 3s mode right from the mod? I'm guessing auto detecting 2s vs 3s can't be done? my thoughts are, now I'm using a 3 cell configuration and the mod isn't too thick for everyday use, but I could make an extended use pack that's a 2s2p and add 25% battery life as an extended battery option, and of course have an extended battery door to match. kinda like an extended battery in a cell phone type design. having to change config in the pc isn't so bad but it would be really slick if it could be selected from the mod itself for on the fly switching too and from an extended use battery.

Dejay said:

Oh this is awesome! I was wondering the other day if this was possible! This removes one of my main downsides for the DNA200 for people who like externally charged batteries. Thanks evolv!

I wonder how if you have taps running to them will you be externally charging them? Or can you just have taps running to the correct places on a battery tray instead of directly to battery's?  That would be epic. Infact I don't see why not.  This will make some of the people that were complaining about not being able to use 2 18650's happy. But I don't really see the point for 2s lipos now that I have looked at them vs 3s lipo's. So mainly this only makes sense for 18650's or 26650's imo.

Very impressed with you guys going ahead and doing this since some in the community wanted the option of not having to use lipo's.  Sure they don't get the full 200 watts but they get more than enough imo and it gives them all the wonderful features of the dna200 and escribe!

Nice to see those changes John. So now i'll be able to wire 2x 18650 in series and parallel or only series? If using 18650 i could resign tap connection for battery balance or will the board be able to balance 2x 18650? Thanks in advance for your answer. Cheers and vape on folks.