2s 18650 discussion

John

I'd love a DNA50 or 60 with escribe and single cell option as well. I bet it will come eventually.

@BobC I think the main reason and advantage to 200 watt is faster heat up time. When you use thicker or twisted or clapton wire you have a long heatup time at something like 40 watt. Think 24 GA wire. Some probably like the "slowly increasing vape" I think but I like my vape instant. So that is where the 200 watt reserve come in. So even if you vape at a sustained 40 watt it's useful. My theory is that most people who vape at insanely high watts are only using the "heatup" part of the vape and in reality can't really vape these high watts either. But that is just a guess. 

ok, I've got a semi stupid question. one of my dna200 mods is coming from a converted dual 18650 mod I was building originally for a dna40.

when I decided to convert it to dna200 I milled it out further to fit a 1,000mah pack. this was before the 2s option.

now I'm looking at the mod and realizing that I could still finish it either way, as a 1,000mah 3S ,or as a dual 18650 in 2S config

now assuming the 133 watt limit is not a concern, is there any reason to use the 1,000mah pack over the 2 1650's? I mean the dual 18650's will have much more mah but I don't know anything about how the differences in discharge curves affect anything.

I guess my real question is, assuming I never go over 125 watts anyway, which would be better? is it as simple as the higher mah wins or is there an advantage to the 3S lipo I'm not seeing?

Assuming the 133 vs 200 issue is moot, you would get more mah with the 18650s.  However, you would have the downsides of having to put in the added monitoring wiring or use the soon to be released add-on board for the dual mode and you would be running the chip in a mode less than the ideal designed one.  An advantage for the lipo is that the discharge curve is a bit better.

I am using that same pack and find that it is about 1.2 to 1.5 times a good 18650. Personally I would go lipo as it is a good time to make the break and move to the new power system.

I have tested the 1,000 mah pack in my first dna200 and I agree, it lasts longer than  a single 18650, I agree that it's probably at around the 1.2-1.3 X the capacity just judging by the amount of juice consumption I can get from that pack, but that still tells me that 2 18650's will have more life, and really 2 18650's should give a bit more than double the life of a single 18650.

what I don't know is how much the better discharge curve and lower resistance of the lipo closes this gap in the real world or how much the lower voltage usable curves affect this. either way I'm planning a permanent soldered battery install on this one so it will always be internally charged. 

I'd rather not have to build it both ways and compare it myself, I'd rather just wire it once and seal it up but I still don't know for sure that the dual 18650's is def the better way to go or not. I'm thinking it is but not really sure 

turbocad6 said:

that's def worth something, thanks for that. what kinds of power levels does she vape at?

Around 50w-60w. Really depends on the juice and time of day. She has been much happier since I switch it over. I also set it up with plugs so it is just a quick settings change to go back to a lipo.

RickAdair said:

Around 50w-60w. Really depends on the juice and time of day. She has been much happier since I switch it over. I also set it up with plugs so it is just a quick settings change to go back to a lipo.

awesome man, thank you. so now I'm wondering, since a pair of 18650's in no larger than a 1,000 mah 3s pack yet gives much more battery life than even a 1,300 mah 3s pack, why would a lipo even be considered, other than if you actually needed to go over 133 watts? the dual 18650's just seems to be a no brainer here, yet lipo's are suposedly better, more energy density, better discharge curve, lower internal resistance, why is the dual 18650 still superior to a lipo of the same approx size?

Maybe they went with the lipo cuz it has to have it for 200 watts and they wanted 200 watts for the perfect preheat......I don't know just rambling here lol.....and with it being 200 watts it blows all other boards and mods out of the water in every way... true power.....temp control that actually has power behind it now... escibe.....The list goes on and on......I know until something better comes out and that will be quite a while I'd say... .Every mod I order will definitely have this chip