Proper use of Battery analyzer

bingbling

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bingbling said:

[QUOTE=Rune]I don't think I've got any 24g Kanthal, I do have some twisted 26g which is quite thick, would that be okay?

Yeah I think that should be ok. Just keep the atty under observation during the test and make sure its not getting overly hot.[/QUOTE]

Cheers, will do.

I haven't had a chance to run the analyzer yet, but I'm curious about when the analyzer terminates the test. Does it simply cut the test at a preset voltage (as measured under the load of the test)? If so, what is that voltage? If it's using voltage under load to terminate the test, I presume it would be best to run the test with a load that is representative of your typical atty.

EDIT:  Also, are the SOC curves based on voltage at rest or voltage under load? I presume it's the latter, since the data would be gathered by the battery analyzer while the cells were under load (unless it periodically unloads the cells, allows them to recover, and samples their resting voltage). If that's the case, I'm also curious about how the battery meter works (since the resting voltage of the battery will be higher than its voltage under load). Is the battery meter basing its estimate of SOC on the voltage of the battery when it was last under load (i.e., during the last puff), or is it basing it on the resting voltage at that moment? If it's the latter, then it seems to me that it would always be overestimating SOC (assuming the analyzer doesn't periodically sample resting voltage throughout the test).

bmclaurin said:

I haven't had a chance to run the analyzer yet, but I'm curious about when the analyzer terminates the test. Does it simply cut the test at a preset voltage (as measured under the load of the test)? If so, what is that voltage? If it's using voltage under load to terminate the test, I presume it would be best to run the test with a load that is representative of your typical atty.

EDIT:  Also, are the SOC curves based on voltage at rest or voltage under load? I presume it's the latter, since the data would be gathered by the battery analyzer while the cells were under load (unless it periodically unloads the cells, allows them to recover, and samples their resting voltage). If that's the case, I'm also curious about how the battery meter works (since the resting voltage of the battery will be higher than its voltage under load). Is the battery meter basing its estimate of SOC on the voltage of the battery when it was last under load (i.e., during the last puff), or is it basing it on the resting voltage at that moment? If it's the latter, then it seems to me that it would always be overestimating SOC (assuming the analyzer doesn't periodically sample resting voltage throughout the test).

If I recall correctly, my observation during the test was, the test terminated when the voltage dropped below the Cell Soft Cutoff under load. Mine is set to default 3.09V, and I am almost 100% certain I saw the graph dipping to 3.08V and then terminate.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want the most accurate battery meter possible, shouldn't the test be run at the Ohms we vape at daily? EDIT: I will answer my own question. I ran two tests on my battery. One at 1.5 Ohms and the second at .25 Ohms. Test one ended up 13.89 and the second scored 13.93. Very little difference for wildly different Ohm loads.

with a good quality battery pack it wont make too much of a difference. however, if you are using something like a 20C lipo in the mod or just one which is overall terrible quality your current draw will change the effective capacity much more. this is of course assuming that the tests are run at the same wattage (so lower resistance would result in a higher current draw). 

Since my replacement of my vt200 (my first one just died right in mid vape), I ran one test after charging and then vaping on it down to nothing with the standard escribe default. I then charged the battery to full capacity (well as far as it would go at 4.17v) and ran my first test using two loops of 20 ga. SS wire (517L), ohming out at .21ohms and ran it at 50 watts (btw this stuff barely got even warm). First test gave me a 10.978 Wh. After two days, I've gone back and ran the test again, except at 40 watts and came up with 10.92 Wh. But both tests are far and away from the advertised 1300mAh. Not sure if running the test again, but changing the wire to 20ga kanthal, yet keeping it as close to .21 ohms as I can, would give me any better results. Any thoughts?

10.92 x 1000 / 11.1 =  983.78 mAh

Have I run my batt analyzer correctly?

I was told to use 2X 1.5 feet of 24 guage kanthal to make two loops. This gave me a resistance of 1.6 ohms. I ran the test at 50W

However I wanted to see if anyone made a video on this and the only one I could find was in French, but I did see that his loop was glowing and whilst mine was running they were not. His shows at 40Watts 1.04ohms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JJJt5-dUAg

At the end of the test for Samsung 30Q I got a result of 28.73 Wh. Do I need to run the test again?

Hey all, I have experimented with a couple of different calculated watt hour ratings for my Vt200 since receiving it a week ago, but I have yet to run the Battery Analyzer. I wanted to allow the pack a break in period, and it has been through at least a dozen charge/discharge cycles. I read and followed all of the info in this thread. I ran 4 loops of 24ga Kanthal through my Lycan RDA and it came out at .31ohm. I have been vaping my TFV4 around 90w, but am planning to run the test at 50w to be safe. Some pics attached; should this work ok? Thanks in advance..

IMG_20151123_103917190_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151123_103852531_HDR.jpg

• 1 year later...