Proper use of Battery analyzer

bingbling

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long depends on what wattage. Only running the one resistor I wouldnt go above 40w. I dont have any experience running at that wattage. Testing a 1300mAh at 100w took about an hour all said and done.

BTW, are you sure your resistor is 100W? Those big ones in my photos are only 50W.

Ya it was one John recommended I believe I can't figure out how to share the link but it's on amazon and is a... Amico 100 watt 1 ohm aluminium case wirewound resistor Look it up on amazon and letting me know what u think and what wattage to run the test at if u don't care

My solution to a load for the battery analyzer.  I started with the case from a 3000 watt inverter that had bit the bullet.  I think this will handle up to the full 200 watts without a problem.  The resistors have heat sink grease on them and are wired with 10 gauge solid wire.

dwcraig1 said:

"Low Ohms" would come on the screen of the mod periodically so I stopped it, will try again with two lamps in series.
My cold ohms was 0.5 and I had to turn off TP as it went to immediate TP when firing.

Well I guess I need to learn how to read, the mod's screen said "OHMS TOO HIGH" not "LOW".... DUH
(tungsten no doubt)

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to run the battery analyzer, and I know there are lots of sweet setups suggested here with resistors and stuff. I don't have access to stuff like that, so I was thinking of doing it with loops of wire sitting in free air. Would a build like this running the 2 wires in a loop be enough to take the heat off? Or do I need something even more overkill?

bingbling said:

Planning to run the battery analyzer, and I know there are lots of sweet setups suggested here with resistors and stuff. I don't have access to stuff like that, so I was thinking of doing it with loops of wire sitting in free air. Would a build like this running the 2 wires in a loop be enough to take the heat off? Or do I need something even more overkill?

Take something the size of an old fashioned broom handle.  Make five well spaced wraps with kanthal and give yourself some long leads to get it away from the mod.  Remove from the broom handle or whatever you used.  You are basically making a giant free air coil.  That should work just fine and you can adjust the wattage of the test down if you are worried.

blueridgedog said:

[QUOTE=bingbling]Planning to run the battery analyzer, and I know there are lots of sweet setups suggested here with resistors and stuff. I don't have access to stuff like that, so I was thinking of doing it with loops of wire sitting in free air. Would a build like this running the 2 wires in a loop be enough to take the heat off? Or do I need something even more overkill?

Take something the size of an old fashioned broom handle.  Make five well spaced wraps with kanthal and give yourself some long leads to get it away from the mod.  Remove from the broom handle or whatever you used.  You are basically making a giant free air coil.  That should work just fine and you can adjust the wattage of the test down if you are worried.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks for the tip :) Might just make dual ones, that should certainly be able to handle the heat and offload it from the atty.

dsidab81 said:

I would think 3.4 ohms is pretty high, could you make a similar and put the two in parallel?

Yeah its a bit high, I was just following the prevoius advice and it ended up at 3,4 ohm. I wanted something I knew for sure could handle the heat. The test is nearly finished now anyways so it doesnt matter. I dont think it matters if it says to high ohm, the battery still depletes which is the point.

Edit. The test ended with 10.93Wh. Quite a bit off from the advertised 14,43Wh on the HCigar. A bit of a letdown really. On the positive side, the battery meter should be spot on now.

I have a Lavabox and set mine in Escribe to 9.9 as per the wattage calculator for the battery. I'm not convinced it's correct though as I'm getting weak battery at around 50%. I have a Velocity so if I get 4 wirewound 10W 1 Ohm resistors and put one end in each post hole and tighten in place, and run the test at 40W that should be okay?

Xx3dge said:

I ran my hcigar vt200 and got 10.77 wh. So its really a 950mah ish lipo. I've ran this battery through maybe 15 cycles.

Yep about that, 950 to 1000mAh-ish. I've seen people on e-ciggaretteforum claiming to have ran the analyzer and getting the full 1300mAh, but I am wondering if they're just talking out their asses lol ;)

Rune said:

I have a Lavabox and set mine in Escribe to 9.9 as per the wattage calculator for the battery. I'm not convinced it's correct though as I'm getting weak battery at around 50%. I have a Velocity so if I get 4 wirewound 10W 1 Ohm resistors and put one end in each post hole and tighten in place, and run the test at 40W that should be okay?

I am not very eletricity-savvy but to me it sounds like cutting it close. I think you need either resistors that arer made to withstand high effect, or some kind of cooling to take the heat of the resistor. I did it the easy way, just make a giant spaced coil with long leads of 24awg kanthal. I did go overboard on the laps tho haha. So no need to make it as high as I did (3,4 ohm). During the test at 40W the wires barely got warm.