Evolv worse than Smok reliability?

josh

So this is my second DNA200 board which has died... No reason why - one blown fuse one not blown... Neither show on escribe at all or turn on irrespective what I try...

I've heard many rumors about boards breaking and as bad as 11 out of 25 from some people have had faults?

I've now spent £100 on sending faulty mods back to the builders to be looked at to find out the board just doesn't work...

Evolv what on earth is going on with these defective boards? It's the most expensive thing I have ever bought with the mount of postage? I want to know why these fail... I mean the first board never had anything other than pre-made subtank ni200 coils which still work on my other devices...

I don't believe the rumour, having 2 for over 2 months with zero problems and following this and other forums, sure there have been problems with the way people have fitted the boards causing them to fail and a few boards have failed, but nothing worrying IMO.   What mod do you have?

Not a lot to go on, I don't want to blame unknown mod makers as you may have just been unlucky with the boards, but most of the problems I have read about were caused by the way they were fitted.  There are a couple of things that can cause problems if the mod maker is not careful: letting the screen cable get trapped by the fire switch, soldering bridging vias near pads and oversized mountings that can cause shorts.  John has said maybe he could have left more room for the mountings, pad and screen cable, but it is what it is and can be fitted without problems like any electronic component in that you need to fit it within it's spec and double check everything.  I am not saying there have been no faulty boards, but I think it is only a low percentage of those out there.

Well one of them I could put down to an issue with the build... The second one is using a wood box (with no mounting points just the wooden frame to hold it well) 3 vamo buttons on the original buttons... Overall the mod has 4 connections, 2 to battery and 2 to 510 which all look incredibly well done and even if the 510 ones shorted the board should be okay with that and I know 100% the battery ones are fine, so I would have to be extremely unlucky for this to happen twice?

You have my sympathy and have bee extremely unlucky, but random chance has no memory and after being unlucky once doesn't make you more or less likely to be unlucky again, although it does not fell like that.   It is impossible to know what caused the problems from that much info, in a wood box you can still bridge the solder onto the vias, trap the screen cable or damage the board handling it, not saying that happened just that it is just as easy to do those things in a wood or plastic box.

Most importantly I hope it all gets sorted for you ASAP.

Buy from http://www.xevape.com - I run the site and I'm reliable enough to not send you busted devices.   However as far as Reliability towards Evolv,  I've built about 58 DNA200's to date and had about 6 failures.    However within those 6 failures all of the bad chips were dealt with via RMA and I've had Zero issues with the process.

Thank you,
XEVape

josh said:

Well one of them I could put down to an issue with the build... The second one is using a wood box (with no mounting points just the wooden frame to hold it well) 3 vamo buttons on the original buttons... Overall the mod has 4 connections, 2 to battery and 2 to 510 which all look incredibly well done and even if the 510 ones shorted the board should be okay with that and I know 100% the battery ones are fine, so I would have to be extremely unlucky for this to happen twice?

Josh, could you post pictures of the mods you are having trouble with and pictures of the boards.?

just to confirm it is the boards and not the builds

What type of soldering iron and ESD protection do the modders use when building? The board seems fairly robust but there are limits to everything. I have a soldering station in my junk pile (very old Elenco) that had sufficient induced voltage at the tip that I could feel it when I touched it with solder to tin it. In the junk pile. Better to trash an old soldering station than a pile of new parts. Also, there are enough MOS parts on the board that one good static hit to the bare board and they're toast. It's far from a mech-box type build and can't be treated as one when handling the bare board.

Hi this is what I have experienced so far, programmed June board blown fuse which I changed then two weeks later completely dead which I can take being a early adopter, July board part missing of the board could of been me or missed in quality control.

IMG_1575.jpg 

My third board is programmed in August and comes tested this is the box. 36 hours later dead no blown fuse!

IMG_1581.jpg 

After the time and money I have spent building my last mod im so pissed off right now, time to come clean why these boards are dying evolv

I am not aware of any posts exploring why mods and or chips fail being deleted.  This forum is full of folks troubleshooting failures out in the open in a public way on a site hosted by Evolv.  There are Evolv staff here trying to give advice and deduce if there are common issues in failures (assembly of the mod or in chip assembly).  Over half the failures I have assisted with have been installation related and another third seem to be battery related with the remaining being chips with issues.  Evolv is replacing failed chips regardless of reason as they are tying to collect a good census of causes to they can help manufactures do a better job.  Common failures to date:
Hana pinching the sreen
Opus using a metal nut that cause shorts
Users tinning too much of the lead, cause pad lift
Improper balance charge connections
Improper grounding of the 510
Improper atomizer/510 hookups

For those demanding answers, Evolv is standing behind their product. Read the linked post. https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/68029-topic/?do=findComment&comment=912007 I haven't built many yet but have had zero issues with the two I've built so far. I don't use any special technique but I do use the ordinary amount of care I would use with any sophisticated electronic device.

My mod works excellent without fail. I was an early adopter of the Dna 200. Most bitchen board of have ever used. I ordered my box from shapeways and with the battery I used fits extremely tight. I feel very sorry for anyone who has had a failed board and as equally confused as to why mine works spectacular and others have failed. My mod is my best to date using turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S.

I agree Blueridge and Dcc......I have built many custom mods using this chip and have only had one problem which may or may not have been my fault being a resistor that fell off.......I also have one of Evolvs reference beta mods that has been going strong since the beginning. .....All that aside ....Evolv has got to be the best customer support company I have ever seen! If they have a problem they do not care to admit it and they go far and beyond customer support when it comes to a faulty product.....I have seen them many many times replace boards for people when it CLEARLY was the user's fault and not Evolvs. .....I don't get when people make threads like this when all they have to do is open a ticket and Evolv will always make sure you are taken care of even if the chip is not to blame.....This kind of thing really gets to me but hey I guess I am and always will be an Evolv fan boy lol

I agree with scoopy. I had a failure myself where I produced a cold solder joint on the 510 connector pin. The solder joint heated and opened the on board fuse and damaged the board. I contacted Evolv, admitted it was my fault and they replaced the board NQA. By far the BEST Vaping Device manufacture out there today. I temporarily jumped on YiHi 350J band wagon. I have 3 DNA 40's and 1 DNA 200 with plans to build 2 or 3 more extreme devices. Best board on the market sold by the best Vaping device manufacture...

Mhm, the jury is still out for me. I agree that this is the most bitchin board out there, but in 3 weeks, I am on my 3rd DNA200. My first one (VTBox200) lasted a few hours. Most likely the fuse, but no confirmation yet (I am awaiting the replacement). Then last week, I bought the Vaporshark DNA200. It lasted 8 days, after which it would not charge, fire or even light up when untethered. They replaced it.

It is the most expensive PV I have ever bought, and it has given me the most grief. My beater, the notoriously unreliable Cloupor T8, is over a year old and has been my daily driver for as long. It's been dropped more times than I care to remember, and it just won't break.

I really want to like the Evolv board, but as it stands, I am starting to have a nagging feeling that my $350 investment in these 2 devices is wasted because of quality issues......

Just a casual observation, and in no way am I knocking any specific brand or brands of mods, but these failures seem to happen more often with specific brands of mods.  It is entirely possible that there is a problem or flaw with the mod or the way it is being assembled.  It can certainly be frustrating to spend well over $100 for a mod and have it fail in a short time but if it is a problem with the DNA200 itself Evolv will straighten the problem out from what I've seen.  The problem becomes the "blame game" that seems to happen more often than not.

I have had two boards fail myself.  Both lasted about a month.  No idea the cause.  I would assume that user error would show long before a month.  I also have three other mods I have built with no issues (except the DNA40 screen scramble), one DNA40 and two Yihi boards.