Lavabox DNA 200 Properly Configured?

legendwrecker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having battery issues on mine. Once I hit ~60% battery I can't get it to go much above 80 watts. That being said, as far as battery settings go, you want lithium polymer, 9.99 Wh Capacity, 3 cell. Your cell soft cutoff (I think) defaults at 3.66, you can adjust this if you want more run time, but you don't want to go below 3v, 3.2 is fairly safe and will make your battery last longer (not charged for longer, but the lifetime of the battery itself). 

I contacted volcano ecigs last Friday 23rd to complain about the battery, for me i had it on the charger for few hours and it showed to be 100% charge but I unplugged it and the gauge dropped to 75%. They told me that non of the analyzers have been ran for the device
Quote from the email:

"It is likely the reason for this is because our manufacturer did not enter any of the internal settings for the device to be calibrated. We hope to have the CSV file available soon so that you can upload this into the device via escribe very soon."

So, with any specific settings set by the manufacturer for the LavaBox (which apparently weren't dialed in before shipment, I gather.) I happened to not save to file before flashing Evolve's stock firmware. Not that big of a deal, but now I don't have Volcano's LavaBox specific theme. (If there was one) Does anyone have a copy of the LavaBox firmware I could use to restore it through escribe?

jonkillops said:

So, with any specific settings set by the manufacturer for the LavaBox (which apparently weren't dialed in before shipment, I gather.) I happened to not save to file before flashing Evolve's stock firmware. Not that big of a deal, but now I don't have Volcano's LavaBox specific theme. (If there was one) Does anyone have a copy of the LavaBox firmware I could use to restore it through escribe?

i just called volcano to check if they can give me the file for battery settings and said NO.

wow...

As a member said above, they don't have it yet. Be patient, this is a good company been around longer then most others. I got mine in two days after placing the order, got one with the battery rattle, from tear downs I've seen online, there should be some kind of spacer wedged in between the battery and the case. I wrote them, heard back in 10 minutes, then they called me. They prefer to send me a new one, and then I return the first one in a pre-paid mailer. You won't see better customer service from any ecig company, and I've dealt with lots! While the battery CSV file will be welcome, it will not stop you from enjoying the device right now. Certainly change the battery Watt hours to 9.99, and pack voltage to 11.1v, as that is something the factory certainly should have done, but if you search and read on this site you will see it's been mentioned. This effects the battery meters accuracy. Good luck!

According to Volcanoecig the mod internal resistance should be 0.02

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/3mwidt/heres_your_first_look_at_a_full_production/cwdo4e1?context=3

I was wondering if this sounds right to people who build their own? Watching PBusardo's DNA review II Part 2 when he plugs the Vaporshark into Escribe it shows 0.007, seems quite a bit lower than 0.02. I've asked Volcanoecig to clarify but they said they'll look into it and get back to me.

gratefulbuddy said:

Mine came out at 0.007? on my 3D printed erm mod with varitube 510

I tried changing mine to 0.02 as per what they said and the 0.04 Ni200 build I had created dropped to 0.02 and the vape was pretty weak so knocked it back to 0. After seeing the video it made me think their value may be wrong as it sounds like a sales guy giving the info "our tech guys have noted that the resistance value is 0.02"

Your post makes me even more suspicious of what they've said.

@jbatolovich If you have the proper heat sinks, or used a bunch of big wire in a RBA, then go with your findings. For many the battery pack printed WH's is 9.99 volts, and I hope accurate enough. Evolv or some inventor could perhaps make a buck or two selling a heat sink resistor with a 510 connector, that could be a reference for all DNA200 devices to run the battery monitor test with.

VapingBad said:

Not a good idea to put mod res in if you are not sure, especially vary high figures like 0.02, both my mods measure 0.004 (not lavaboxes).  Either wait for an official figure or measure it yourself see this thread for detail https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65594-topic/

Thanks, that pretty much goes with what I was thinking in that the value was too high.

I haven't got any copper like what you linked to so will probably wait for the manufacturer to get back to my query.

I have received the following information in an email from Volcano customer support regarding escribe settings for the Lavabox DNA200.

Battery - 9.99wh
Mod Resistance - 0.02
Case Thermals (top to bottom in escribe) -

I have punched the numbers in for my own Lavabox and everything seems fine.
I agree with previous members comments that the Mod Resistance figure of 0.02 does seem on the high side, but after conducting my own experiments, all of my coils read around 0.02 ohms high on the Lavabox (according to other mods and resistance meters) before using the above figure, after using 0.02 all my coils are reading pretty accurate on the Lavabox.
I also found it necessary to lower my power in temp mode after using the above numbers.
Although the above information worked for me, remember to use them at your own risk, although I doubt that Volcano would risk putting out iffy information.

I hope that the above information has been helpful to other Lavabox owners.

bubbathemoose said:

I have received the following information in an email from Volcano customer support regarding escribe settings for the Lavabox DNA200.

Battery - 9.99wh
Mod Resistance - 0.02

I have punched the numbers in for my own Lavabox and everything seems fine.
I agree with previous members comments that the Mod Resistance figure of 0.02 does seem on the high side, but after conducting my own experiments, all of my coils read around 0.02 ohms high on the Lavabox (according to other mods and resistance meters) before using the above figure, after using 0.02 all my coils are reading pretty accurate on the Lavabox.
I also found it necessary to lower my power in temp mode after using the above numbers.
Although the above information worked for me, remember to use them at your own risk, although I doubt that Volcano would risk putting out iffy information.

I hope that the above information has been helpful to other Lavabox owners.

Interesting, I'm getting a 0.003/4 variance between my Lavabox and SX Mini M Class. Same for my Ohms meter.  Also I ran case analyser on mine last night and got a very different set of results.

Like I said before, that's the info i got back from Volcano. Don't take it as gospel and use the settings at your own risk.

Although the numbers are working for me, they may not work for everyone.
Personally using other mods, my friends Fluke meter and his oscilloscope my resistance readings are around 0.02-0.021 ohms high on the Lavabox, (before mod resistance adjustment) which goes to show how great the variance of readings can be from person to person, device to device. Again I agree that this does seem on the high side.

There are so many variables when dealing with such small resistances that getting truly accurate results at home may be hit and miss, therefore the only other option is to rely (and trust?) the numbers supplied by the device manufacturers themselves.

I think that there is still a lot of research to be done by device manufacturers on the DNA200 and temperature control in general, research that I personally feel should have been done and released before the release of the devices themselves. To be fair though, from what i have gathered from users of other DNA200 devices, Volcano are not on their own on this.

All users can do is keep asking the same questions and sit back and wait, however I will be firing another email off to Volcano questioning the validity of their data, and why the mod resistance is so high.

bubbathemoose said:

Like I said before, that's the info i got back from Volcano. Don't take it as gospel and use the settings at your own risk.

Although the numbers are working for me, they may not work for everyone.
Personally using other mods, my friends Fluke meter and his oscilloscope my resistance readings are around 0.02-0.021 ohms high on the Lavabox, (before mod resistance adjustment) which goes to show how great the variance of readings can be from person to person, device to device. Again I agree that this does seem on the high side.

There are so many variables when dealing with such small resistances that getting truly accurate results at home may be hit and miss, therefore the only other option is to rely (and trust?) the numbers supplied by the device manufacturers themselves.

I think that there is still a lot of research to be done by device manufacturers on the DNA200 and temperature control in general, research that I personally feel should have been done and released before the release of the devices themselves. To be fair though, from what i have gathered from users of other DNA200 devices, Volcano are not on their own on this.

All users can do is keep asking the same questions and sit back and wait, however I will be firing another email off to Volcano questioning the validity of their data, and why the mod resistance is so high.

No worries, we can only go on what the manufacturer tells us at the end of the day unless we have access to proper testing equipment ourselves. Think I'm going to stick to leaving mine at 0 for the time being as my dual Ni200 builds work a lot better at than as opposed to when I tried changing the mod resistance to 0.02.

I would love to see someone who has access to test this themselves run it and give their results though and see how it compares with what Volcano are saying.

Ran "Case Analyzer", on my LavaBox, quite different then what Volcano stated, but I ASSUME, it would be BETTER, to use the results on gets when testing their own units, since Evolv has such a case analyzer in the Escribe software?

bmclaurin said:

I measured the internal resistance of my Lavabox simply by shorting the 510 with a copper pin. It measured .007 ohms, which is significantly lower than the .02 they are telling you.

Thank you, that sounds more in line with other DNA200 mods. I'll link your post to the discussion I'm having with the Volcano rep if you don't mind.