Suggestion: Finer Temperature Adjustments

Pig

Sculpteo is able to upload and automatically convert the provided IGES (IGS) vectorial format files.  However, they recommend using STL or OBJ files for best results.

Shapeways won't accept them and will require you to convert to one of their accepted file formats...typically STL.

I use Solidworks to convert to STL. I just discovered that the front frame will only pass Shapeway's design checks in stainless steel...which seems odd to me since the Strong & Flexible plastics usually can accept thinner walls than stainless steel prints.

The case is just good old 6061-T6 aluminum. 

The buttons are 303 stainless, as is the connector body. 

The insulator is Ultem 1000

The center pin is C18000 copper

The spring is Lee Spring LW 025 02 0100S

The snap ring is 15mm

The case screws as 2-56 pan head .75" long stainless steel

The board attachment screws are 0-80 round head .1875" long stainless steel

Evolvapor, I would like to request the SolidWorks files so I can make this design a bit more 3D printer friendly. Please let me know what I need to do to get the files. BTW, thanks so much for providing these reference design files, this makes it so easy to use bits like the faceplate and button design that are already properly dimensioned. Unbelievably generous of Evolv doing this for modders. I have several boards on the way and now have a great head start on design before the boards even arrive.Thanks!!

pdizzle you would have to check with the friend from the machine shop. These are just 3D files of the parts, a machine shop will need to take the 3D part files into there software to program the cutting/machining of the actual part. They very well might be able to use the native Solidworks files, but the IGES files are a generic file type that pretty much any machine shop should be able to use.

Marselus said:

I can't open any of the solidworks files. It gives me an error message. Am i the only one ?
(using solidworks 2014)

I ran into the same thing since I have SW2014 also. Just open the IGS file and let SolidWorks do the import diagnostic, then run the feature recognition. Then you can save it as a normal 2014 part file. I had one error with a minor cut extrude with the front case, but it was non-consequential and the part is fine. There were no errors with the rear case or buttons.

I checked into uploading the files onto sculpteo, I am not sure if the files are coming up as the correct size. It pulls up the buttons as being in cm but the size makes sense more so in mm. Also it does say there are some places that are to thin.  Before I go through all the trouble of turning this into a real thing and spend a ton of money doing so. I had heard there might be future plans of there being a diy kit of this reference mod being made in the future.  My guess is this would be better done and also cheaper as it would be done in larger numbers.  If this is happening is it way out in the distant future?

Also the large button came out as 10 X 11 X 4 CM but it seems way to large and estimated at over $400 lol.  But when switched to mm scale it seems to make more sense at the size. Similar thing with the other smaller buttons. The 2 main parts of the frame seemed to be the correct sizes and wall. Maybe its just a issue with sculpteo itself.

Also what battery is being used in the reference mod so I know what I am looking for if I decide to try this out in the future.

The battery in the betas is a FullyMax FB900HP-3S It is advertised at 10Wh but we've found it to be closer to 8.8Wh.  Not surprising but...

As for making and selling reference cases, that is the plan but I have no idea when those will be available.  They will be tumbled raw aluminum cases like the betas.  They'll include the buttons and the reference 510 connector.

evolvapor said:

We've provided solid models of the case and connector used in the DNA 200 beta.  Please feel free to use any or all of the design in the development of your mod.

The files are in Iges format.  We also have SolidWorks models available upon request.

I have been asked for these files in .STL format Is there anyone out there who has these in .STL or can please convert them? Thanks