Puff counter resets automatically?

JaI Haze

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VapingBad said:

You could say user tries hard reboot and a fault reading the cell voltages appears, I don't see that it is connected to the puff counter. We have seen this fault a few times and it is just once (you in this thread) that the puff counter has been mentioned, I'm not sure that hard reboot is a common pre-condition either. 

You keep saying cause the puff counter to mess up like it is overwriting with some random number, it seems to me it just has the last value saved to the flash memory and the value in RAM was not saved, they have worked like this for the past 10 months.  Sure that is not desirable and therefore a bug, but I don't believe it is any kind of software or hardware malfunction.

As luck would have it, I have been logging the puff count on all of my DNA200s for months. I've been doing it because I wanted to see how much ml of juice I use per battery charge. Virtually everybody compares battery life to hours or days of vaping time per charge. That doesn't help others much, since everybody vapes differently. But knowing how much juice one uses per charge is far more useful to everybody. I didn't know if collecting the puff counter would be important or not, but I logged it anyway.

So now I have all of these logs of ml used, battery voltages, and puff counts. Not once did the puff counter ever miss a single count in all of this time, even with battery swaps. It just never happened. But JaI Haze was seeing it. Not only on one, but even on a repaired one.

It turns out that the puff counter in TC mode never screws up, even with zillions of battery swaps. It only starts to screw up if you are in wattage mode and then you swap batteries (something I never remember doing). Now not only does it revert to an earlier count, but now in TC mode the puff counter screws up the same way.

Now and only now, a hard reboot will not revert your settings. Instead it loses the ability to read the cell voltages correctly.

I can't recreate what you describe, it works as it always has done and how I have described on this thread, that doesn't mean you're observations are wrong, but it does mean they are not universal. 

On my rolo with temp limiting enabled I started at pc 20474, took 6 puff now pc 20480, soft reboot pc still 20480, took 5 more puffs, pc now 20485, did hard reboot and pc reverted to last saved value 20480 and battery cells read perfectly.  So then I disable temp limiting pc still 20480 take 5 puffs, pc 20485, soft reboot settings preserved pc 20485, take another 5 puffs pc 20490 cells all 3.97 V, hard reboot pc as expected 20485 and all cells reading 3.97 V.

You had the USB connected the whole time, didn't you? You didn't vape in wattage mode and then remove the batteries, did you?

Once you did the above without USB power, now TC puff counter will reset once you remove the batteries. It never happened before in TC mode unless you do the above first.

Now you connect it up to the USB and EScribe. Now do a hard reboot. Poof!

BillW50 said:

You had the USB connected the whole time, didn't you? You didn't vape in wattage mode and then remove the batteries, did you?

Once you did the above without USB power, now TC puff counter will reset once you remove the batteries. It never happened before in TC mode unless you do the above first.

Now you connect it up to the USB and EScribe. Now do a hard reboot. Poof!

Yes, you can't hard reboot without it connected to UBS, I was confirming the puff counter behaviour was the same with or without temp limiting enabled. 

So if I follow you it is just doing hard reboot after disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries while temp limiting is disabled?

dwcraig1 said:

Are you able to measure the voltage off the pads on the board that the balance connector attaches? Or at the balance connector. I assuming you made sure it's plugged on there good.

Two 18650 charged to 4.09v

GND = 0v
Pin 1 = 4.09v
Pin 2 = 8.18v
Pin 3 = 8.18v

No batteries on USB power only

GND = 0v
Pin 1 = 0v
Pin 2 = 4.83v
Pin 3 = 4.83v

Scoped it and yes, it is a flat DC level.

VapingBad said:

Yes, you can't hard reboot without it connected to UBS, I was confirming the puff counter behaviour was the same with or without temp limiting enabled. 

So if I follow you it is just doing hard reboot after disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries while temp limiting is disabled?

I am not sure if having the puff counter is important or not on the display. But JaI Haze and myself have it displayed.

I couldn't get any of my DNA200s to mess up the puff counter while removing the batteries and putting them back in. I assume most DNA200s act this way while using TC.

It only started happening once I vaped in wattage mode, then removed the batteries and putting them back in. Now the puff counter reverts to an earlier count.

Now TC mode puff counter does exactly the same thing when you remove the batteries.

So far, just the puff counter reverts and nothing else is wrong yet. But connect up to the USB and perform a hard reboot and now the DNA200 can't read cell voltages correctly anymore.

yeah when its plugged in when you swap batteries it is fine because its still got a current going on.  Just like you can turn it on without batteries in it.  But the problem is for people using wattage mode and it not reading correctly.  I tested the TC thing as Bill is having issues and sure enough now I am experiencing the same problem as him.  Keep in mind im only doing this on dna's where the battery or batteries come out.  75 and 200.  

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...