DNA 200 Development Issues?

Ok guys, let's get real, why isn't the DNA 200 software progressing? It's been over 4 months since there was an "test" release that didn't literally fry your board, and I'm growing concerned we'll never see another functional update. Obviously there's no critical bugs that need fixing, but the 200's precision with SS316L leaves something to be desired, while the DNA 75 has evidently been greatly improved in regards to accuracy and smoothness with these low TCR materials. We were promised those improvements would come to the 200 in an update, but here we are, over a month out, and nothing. So seriously, what's going on? If I only get a "business as usual" answer I'm going to assume development is indeed halted or hung up. If so, maybe it's time to consider open-sourcing the Evolv software; a temp control mod that doesn't get updates is a dead temp control mod.

I bought 10 DNA200 mods in the last 6 months and I'll probably buy another 10 DNA200 mods in the next 6 months. And I don't need any updates. The DNA200 is the best regulated device out there and nothing else comes close. So I don't think Evolv has anything to worry about. There isn't even any competition yet.

BillW50 said:

I bought 10 DNA200 mods in the last 6 months and I'll probably buy another 10 DNA200 mods in the next 6 months. And I don't need any updates. The DNA200 is the best regulated device out there and nothing else comes close. So I don't think Evolv has anything to worry about. There isn't even any competition yet.

Cool story brah. Anyone got a reply that isn't a sales pitch? I agree the DNA 200 is the "best", but there's room for much improvement, as shown by the DNA 75.

Mind if I ask a few questions....

1. What TCR are you using with the DNA200 and which one for the DNA75?
2. What type coil build and cold resistance?
3. What Temp, wattage, preheat, punch and etc settings for the DNA200 and DNA75?
4. Are the Manufacturers Settings correct for both mods?

The DNA200 and 75 utilize different regulator technology and have many specification things that are not the same with each board even tho the operation of each is almost the same.  May have a few comments after getting a bit of info from you....

Getting late so will check back tomorrow....  have a great evening...

retird said:

Getting late so will check back tomorrow....  have a great evening...

Thank you retird, you too. I use Steam Engine's curve for SS316L and... lots of different atties with lots of different settings. Sorry if my post was confusing, I'm not looking for support, I'm looking for an explanation as to why the newest "test' version is over 4 months old, surely the actual testing period is long over. I don't have a DNA 75 (yet), but this https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66894-topic/?do=findComment&comment=901856 is the performance discrepancy I am referring to, VapingBad said the improvements would come to the 200, but 3 weeks later and still no progress on that front. I'm sure I'm being paranoid and impatient, but I'm a geek, I bought the DNA 200 because I'm a geek and like tweaking and playing with the software, and really like playing with new updates. In the months of owning a DNA 200 the only new thing Evolv has given us to play with was a leaked version that absolutely 100% would brick your device; that's just depressing. When I see things like a 4 month old beta, a 9 month old "recommended" release version, lots of veteran users who say it's good enough, and nary a peep from the devs, I worry that I've invested in dead technology, and there's just no room in my world for dead technology. It would really calm my fears if an Evolv dev would cuss me out right now.

CeeBeeDee said:

I'm looking for an explanation as to why the newest "test' version is over 4 months old, surely the actual testing period is long over. I don't have a DNA 75 (yet), but this https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66894-topic/?do=findComment&comment=901856 is the performance discrepancy I am referring to, VapingBad said the improvements would come to the 200, but 3 weeks later and still no progress on that front. ......

When I see things like a 4 month old beta, a 9 month old "recommended" release version, lots of veteran users who say it's good enough, and nary a peep from the devs, I worry that I've invested in dead technology, and there's just no room in my world for dead technology. It would really calm my fears if an Evolv dev would cuss me out right now.

Morning CeeBeeDee...... I think the answers you seek must come from Evolv.  I only asked for info to see if possibly there could be a few user "tweaks" that may be made to improve your vape experience with SS wire using the DNA200. Without the info I really can't offer any thoughts on "tweaks" to try. I really was interested in giving it a shot tho...

What I have seen over the years is that Evolv was/is the technology leader and give us the "latest and greatest" stuff. I also know that when they bring something new they are already working on a few more new things.  Their R&D is very fluid.  

I did look back for a statement from Evolv about your concern and found this (in part).....  

*** 2016-02-12 EScribe 1.0.39 ***
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2016-02-12.exe (52MB standalone installer)

This version features:
(1) a new Materials tab where you can store and transfer material settings onto and from the DNA,
[We've included our Ni200, and Steam Engine's SS316 and Ti1. These will be upgraded in the future, if better data becomes available, and others added if others become common.]

My best thought in addressing any future update releases would be that you could fill out a "Contact Us" form and ask that your questions be given to James and let him respond back to you.  He may not see your post here.  

Link:     http://helpdesk.evolvapor.com/index.php?a=add

I'm kinda like you and always want the "latest and greatest" so maybe a new DNA75 is in your future. Then you can compare the experience with SS wire.  Vaping is ever evolving so it's good that new often brings improvements that "may or may not" be able to be retro fitted to legacy technology.  Just my thoughts.  

I know my comments don't meet your concerns but....... at the very least SS wire is probably the most "touchy" wire that folks try to use.  The fact that the DNA75 seems to smooth it out a bit shows me that Evolv is going in the right direction in responding to the ever changing wire landscape.  

Have a great day

CeeBeeDee said:

Ok guys, let's get real, why isn't the DNA 200 software progressing? It's been over 4 months since there was an "test" release that didn't literally fry your board, and I'm growing concerned we'll never see another functional update. Obviously there's no critical bugs that need fixing, but the 200's precision with SS316L leaves something to be desired, while the DNA 75 has evidently been greatly improved in regards to accuracy and smoothness with these low TCR materials. We were promised those improvements would come to the 200 in an update, but here we are, over a month out, and nothing. So seriously, what's going on? If I only get a "business as usual" answer I'm going to assume development is indeed halted or hung up. If so, maybe it's time to consider open-sourcing the Evolv software; a temp control mod that doesn't get updates is a dead temp control mod.

:thumb:

retird said:

I'm kinda like you and always want the "latest and greatest" so maybe a new DNA75 is in your future. Then you can compare the experience with SS wire.

LOL, I actually did that before reading your post, ordered a SMY SDNA75 from FT. I think what's going on is Evolv is focusing on stabilizing the 75 for the time being, and will be backporting the improvements to the 200 after that's finished. Who knows, maybe that's happening now. It sucks in the meantime though, I know my DNA 200 is the best, but I swear I hear my VTC MINI mocking it; "Yo Fancypants, when you last get updated? February!? Damn that's old! I've had 3 since then! And.... Flappy Bird." *mic drop* Then I hear my 200 crying itself to sleep, wondering why it's been forsaken by its creators.

• 3 weeks later...
dylang919 said:

Are Evolv's DNA 200 and 75 going to be classed as tobacco products? How are we going to continue to get updates to our boards after Aug 8th.

Because of the FDA's implementation of "pretzel logic" with the regulations http://vaping360.com/fdas-vaping-pretzel-logic-tobacco-product/ I'm sure any vaping chipset could be classified as a tobacco product. I don't think the FDA can intervene on current products until Aug 8th 2018 though, and who knows how that could relate to software.

CeeBeeDee said:

Because of the FDA's implementation of "pretzel logic" with the regulations http://vaping360.com/fdas-vaping-pretzel-logic-tobacco-product/ I'm sure any vaping chipset could be classified as a tobacco product. I don't think the FDA can intervene on current products until Aug 8th 2018 though, and who knows how that could relate to software.

Hopefully, all of this is settled by then. The FDA regs are way too strict.

Jalcide said:

I was wondering this, too. :/

If indeed there will be a freeze on software / firmware updates on Aug 8th, I hope we'll see a new version posted in time, that includes the smoothing algos. Even if it's beta, it would be hugely welcomed.

Not holding my breath, they seem to be more worried about suing other vaping companies than develop for their customers. We've been told since last year that escribe for Mac is coming and it seems its not. The last official escribe release was in Nov 2015 and the last working beta from Feb, not counting the beta release that bricked devices. 

Evolv has stopped evolving... even the DNA 75 has no new tech, just a smoother TC that they're not giving to the DNA 200.

dstroya said:

Evolv has stopped evolving... even the DNA 75 has no new tech, just a smoother TC that they're not giving to the DNA 200.

And yet the DNA60 was just released the other day and I hear another DNA will be released soon. It seems like to me Evolv is very busy developing while the rest hasn't even caught up to where Evolv was just last year.

dstroya said:

Not holding my breath, they seem to be more worried about suing other vaping companies than develop for their customers. We've been told since last year that escribe for Mac is coming and it seems its not. The last official escribe release was in Nov 2015 and the last working beta from Feb, not counting the beta release that bricked devices. 

It's not always necessary to express every thought you have.  

dstroya said:

might work out better if you did actually try holding your breath   xD

Lots of shills trolling and not a single intellectual response to the points I raised. Carry on high-fiving each other and buying products that are no longer developed...

Try responding to the lack of escribe development since November 2015, broken promises for mac software that have been made since 2015 and the better SS TC curve on the DNA 75 that has not been provided on the "top of the line" DNA 200. 

Be well...

Yup. It's very worrisome. I will say that August 8th is not here yet, and 5 days can make all the diference in software development. So perhaps we'll see an Aug 8 (or Aug 7) release.

If indeed this is the correct interpretation of the regulations.

dstroya said:

Lots of shills trolling and not a single intellectual response to the points I raised. Carry on high-fiving each other and buying products that are no longer developed...

Try responding to the lack of escribe development since November 2015, broken promises for mac software that have been made since 2015 and the better SS TC curve on the DNA 75 that has not been provided on the "top of the line" DNA 200. 

Be well...

For years Evolv has brought new things and even as the latest is being marketed Evolv was/is already working on one or two newer things. Even as the DNA200 and DNA75 is being marketed the DNA60 has become a reality and a DNA250 is rumored.  

Escribe is ever changing and being updated.  It was updated to accept the DNA75 and will need to be updated to accept the DNA60 and the rumored DNA250 if the rumor is true. EScribe has had many updates since November of 2015.  I just checked and May 5, 2016 was the digital signature of the latest EScribe software. Firmware updates are given only after they are "debugged as best as can be" to the public.  Firmware must be compatible to the hardware.  

The TC curve in the DNA75 is the exact same curve shown in the DNA200. The hardware and technology is different between the two DNA's thus the difference in operability with SS316.  I feel that we may see a firmware update (within the limitations of the hardware) in due time as Evolv always strives to provide the best in vape technology and customer service.  

Alot of folks have been able to and are  running EScribe on their Mac's.  Can you not do this?

And we can plainly see that the FDA Demming Reg's are now severely impacting the vaping industry. It seems to me that businesses must prioritize and address the most significant challenges of which the Mac software, in my opinion, is on the list but not that high on the  ''To Do" list  when you read the FDA Deeming Reg's.  I ask that you read them.

Hopefully these comments are beneficial as they are not given for debate purposes and will be my only post on this subject.

Have a great day all.

EDIT 3 hours later:  Evolv just announced the DNA250.............  :)  AND I QUOTE WHAT IS SAID ABOUT THE DNA250:  

Smoother control system for Stainless Steel wire with Temperature Protection

(This is a firmware update and is also available for the 200, giving it a similar control structure to the DNA 75)

Link:  
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66401-topic/?do=findComment&comment=896976

I wonder what the penalty / fines are for updating software and firmware, if it's indeed illegal.

It's either not worth the risk, from a business perspective, or the cost of doing business if it's not too much and doesn't incur further negative status or action.

At some point, the answers to these simple questions will fit in a 140 character tweet.

I'm still waiting on a firmware update for my VaporShark DNA 200 since it arrived DOA. Battery drains and won't charge but since VS says it's a know general firmware issue there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. I could return it for a different mod or wait for an update. Evolv is still working on it I suppose hopefully and I'll be in business haha. It's my first DNA piece so I've been sitting on this for 3 weeks not even being able to use it haha.

dropdlicious said:

I'm still waiting on a firmware update for my VaporShark DNA 200 since it arrived DOA. Battery drains and won't charge but since VS says it's a know general firmware issue there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. I could return it for a different mod or wait for an update. Evolv is still working on it I suppose hopefully and I'll be in business haha. It's my first DNA piece so I've been sitting on this for 3 weeks not even being able to use it haha.

I don't recall it being a general firmware issue with Evolv boards but then again it may be a general firmware issue with the VS, as they use special boards built for them by Evolv... My thought is you should get it replaced by VS....  ASAP....