Jump to content

New to building


Christian9988
 Share

Recommended Posts

The issue is that 'diy' builds can mean you want something anywhere from drilling, cutting, and dremeling a hammond box yourself all the way to assembling a kit w/ a lot of other options in between.  

Modcrate has a 'kit' that you can buy.  if this is your first build, I'd recommend a kit from them or another outfit, but either way their kit lists the parts you'd need for a dna200 build, depending on what you want.   

https://modcrate.myshopify.com/collections/basic-box-mod-kit/products/modcrate-dna-200-silo-1300-box-mod-kit-solid-colors?variant=17401878084

Ebay is also a good source for pre-drilled hammond boxes and I've even seen some nice pre-drilled stabwood diy boxes recently. 

I'd recommend either protovapor's Evolv 510 or cisco's 510, both are excellent. The varitube 510 v2 is also a nice choice, the v2 has a much stiffer spring.  

http://www.protovapor.com/product/evolv-510-connector/

http://www.avidvaper.com/cisco-510-connector/

http://www.varitube.com/VT-510-V2-Connector--Self-adjusting-Center-Pin_p_364.html


Link to comment
Share on other sites

wiredl0ve said:

I'd recommend either protovapor's Evolv 510 or cisco's 510, both are excellent. The varitube 510 v2 is also a nice choice, the v2 has a much stiffer spring.  

http://www.avidvaper.com/cisco-510-connector/




@wiredl0ve, I'm no modder, but that's the most serious 510 I've ever seen. I didn't even know about that site. Thanks very much. :thumb:

If you could only purchase one, which would it be?

Anyone else ever use that connector, and thoughts?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Evolv 510s are the best I've used, but the top is 3 mm thick so they look best recessed, Varitube are good, I hear good things about the Cisco one, I just got a couple of StealthVapes new 510s based on the Evolv they simplified it a bit and use a cheaper spring but they seem very good and similar cost to a Varitube.  Choose 1, Evolve if I had a recessed case and didn't mind the extra cost, with no recess and don't mind the cost the Cisco, otherwise I think the StealthVape will be the one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've used the Evolv and the Cisco and prefer the Evolv, that said I'm not concerned about the 3mm thickness

The Cisco looks good on paper and that's why I purchased one, it seemed to tick all the boxes but the 'C' clip is the weak point imo.

I found it frustratingly hard to install the clip with everything in situ, but that may have just been me. I damaged one trying to fit it, they seem way less robust and easily deformed than a circlip. luckily they do supply a spare.

I was experiencing some resistance problems and found the second clip had popped out. I gave up trying to fit it and will be ordering the StealthVape one VB mentioned and maybe see if the wave spring from the Cisco fits.

If the Cisco had a circlip, which I find are easy to fit with a decent pair of pliers, then the Cisco with it's versatile installation would be a great alternative to the Evolv




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wayneo said:




@wiredl0ve, I'm no modder, but that's the most serious 510 I've ever seen. I didn't even know about that site. Thanks very much. :thumb:

If you could only purchase one, which would it be?

Anyone else ever use that connector, and thoughts?



The Evolv.  

I had similiar problems as Scooby w/ the cisco, but I think it's just tricky to get it seated right.  It took several tries, and I suspect there's a trick to it, but I haven't used but one and it's not enough to figure out what the trick is.   
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put the Evolv together without using circlip pliers.  I just start one end of the clip and sort of push it down, and around, holding the start end in place, letting the cutout in the base guide it in can capture it.  Took a little practice to learn it, but I have yet to lose a clip or have one pop out.  I do use circlip pliers to remove it though.  I'll bet that trick would work with the Cisco.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't own a single mod with a 'proud' 510, but personally really like that look. I like how the Cisco has a copper center pin, where the Evolv I believe is plated nickel. When my Wismec DNA 510 dies, it'll be a tough choice with no clear preference shown by you fine gents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wayneo said:

I don't own a single mod with a 'proud' 510, but personally really like that look. I like how the Cisco has a copper center pin, where the Evolv I believe is plated nickel. When my Wismec DNA 510 dies, it'll be a tough choice with no clear preference shown by you fine gents.


No the Evolv is copper or a high copper alloy gold plated, the early ones were not plated and are copper.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wayneo said:

Either I have misunderstood the modcrate writeup or it's not been updated with newer information.

At first I also thought it was only 18mm diameter, not 22mm, but the 22mm is in the details. Odd naming for the non builder(me), but clear to you guys.



Ah, Modcrate also make a 510 with a wave spring and circlip, but it's not the Evolv 510. It has an unusually large 18mm x 0.75mm thread.
That could mean that the wave spring is also a larger dia and have a higher spring rate (more force), but not having seen one in the flesh I'm not sure about that.
Perhaps someone who has used one could give some feedback.

This is the Evolv 510 http://www.protovapor.com/product/evolv-510-connector/
Link to comment
Share on other sites

awsum140 said:

I put the Evolv together without using circlip pliers.  I just start one end of the clip and sort of push it down, and around, holding the start end in place, letting the cutout in the base guide it in can capture it.  Took a little practice to learn it, but I have yet to lose a clip or have one pop out.  I do use circlip pliers to remove it though.  I'll bet that trick would work with the Cisco.



Probably.   I've got a handful of the Cisco's, just haven't installed them on anything but the one.  I think my biggest problem was getting the c-clip into position on all sides keeping it from popping out on one side or the other.  Visually, it would look installed, but I don't think I was pushing it down and out hard enough.   The final time it took, so I think it's just a matter of being forceful with it and not trying to baby it into place.  
Link to comment
Share on other sites

billy_idle said:

the total cost to buy it and ship it to me (UK Highlands) is $56.95 lol. Darn! I think I will be going with another option... Stealthvape


I didn't realises you were a fellow Brit, yeah the SV is probably the best option over here. I have a couple and they seem good, not had a chance to put one in a mod yet though.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VapingBad said:


I didn't realises you were a fellow Brit, yeah the SV is probably the best option over here. I have a couple and they seem good, not had a chance to put one in a mod yet though.




I agree with VB, now StealthVape have an alternative  I'll be getting one with my next order.

The laughable shipping from protovapor was a factor in my giving the Cisco a try.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BillW50 said:

Sorry... This piece of advice just popped in my head and it just keeps repeating like a song stuck in your head. Yes I heard it before.

If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.




Ha, and if it's new, needs a hammer and still breaks it needs a redesign.

The mod I was using it in uses magnets for the cover. Just as I got the clip positioned ready for the hammer it showed a real affinity to the magnet and I'd hit my thumb.

Thing is, imo in this case (or should that be enclosure) a circlip is superior to a 'C' clip
Link to comment
Share on other sites

scooby said:




Ha, and if it's new, needs a hammer and still breaks it needs a redesign.

The mod I was using it in uses magnets for the cover. Just as I got the clip positioned ready for the hammer it showed a real affinity to the magnet and I'd hit my thumb.

Thing is, imo in this case (or should that be enclosure) a circlip is superior to a 'C' clip

...fix it till it breaks...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...