Blank screen when firing

Karsten

My Lavabox DNA200 screen decided it was no longer going to display whenever firing, regardless of the settings in EScribe (fade to, turn on, off, etc).
I also did the 7-clicks on the logo and go to monitor to see if there are any screen disconnects and there are none.
Everything else works perfectly.

Basically, the screen comes on when you power on the unit.  You can navigate the profiles, change temps/watts, you name it - but the moment the fire button is pressed the screen goes dark.  As soon as the fire button is released, the screen comes back on.

I'm attaching my .ecig file for reference

volcano-900mah-lavabox-preset-files.ecig

to me, sounds like the screen's ribbon cable is being pinched between the fire button and actuator or the ribbon is loose inside the zif connector. if you go into escribe - help - about escribe - click on evolv logo 7-8 times - a new diagnostic window will pop up in device monitor (de bug section). check the box that says "screen disconnect"  a working, secure connected screen will read "0 seconds".

Yes. The cable is not pinched. As for RMA, Volcano won't take it because it wasn't purchased through their website. Apparently their warranty only applies if you buy direct. Not too happy about that. So, that's out as an option. Wouldn't Evolv just pass me back to Volcano if I opened a ticket with them? Purchasing a new screen won't fix anything. The screen itself works just fine. Unless you're saying that there's logic on the screen?

Karsten said:

Yes. The cable is not pinched. As for RMA, Volcano won't take it because it wasn't purchased through their website. Apparently their warranty only applies if you buy direct. Not too happy about that. So, that's out as an option. Wouldn't Evolv just pass me back to Volcano if I opened a ticket with them? Purchasing a new screen won't fix anything. The screen itself works just fine. Unless you're saying that there's logic on the screen?

open a ticket with Evolv. They bend over backwards to help people.

• 2 weeks later...
Karsten said:

Have they said what's causing it?

No, they just fix them and give them back. My guess is the display ribbon cable. After taking one apart to get an idea of what's going on, the ribbon cable is tucked right behind the fire button. It works for a while but after getting tossed around for a few months it may be shifting positions causing them to cut out. Again, that's just an educated guess.

m4k3r said:

No, they just fix them and give them back. My guess is the display ribbon cable. After taking one apart to get an idea of what's going on, the ribbon cable is tucked right behind the fire button. It works for a while but after getting tossed around for a few months it may be shifting positions causing them to cut out. Again, that's just an educated guess.

Wouldn't that show up as a screen disconnect in escribe though?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

It took two weeks but I got my Lavabox back from Evolv last Thursday.

Took it in to work, connected to eScribe, loaded my .ecig file and uploaded it to the box.

Screwed on a tank and hit fire.

Screen went dead.  Same as before.

Stayed that way for about an hour and then...

The screen is now OFF all the time EXCEPT for when charging.  If fired during charging (or changes made to temp/watts) the screen blanks again and won't come back on unless it's unplugged and replugged in to the charger or PC.

When it's unplugged the screen NEVER comes on.

Have replied multiple times to my original RMA ticket with EVOLV since Friday morning but so far zero response.

Worried that I'll be without it again for another 2 weeks AND worried that it'll come back after those additional weeks STILL non-functional.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what may be going on?  I've requested that info from EVOLV but have received nothing.  Nothing came back with the unit describing what was done either.

VERY FRUSTRATED

Sounds like a corrupted file. Try this: While plugged into escribe, go to "screen", and set all the light settings to 0%. Upload settings to device, soft reset, then go back to screen, raise all the settings to 100%, upload settings to device, soft reset, and see if that makes a difference. Ypu might have to reset a few times, to get the battery level off 0%. If that doesn't work, try it with hard reset. You have nothing to loose, but time.

Karsten said:

UPDATE:

It took two weeks but I got my Lavabox back from Evolv last Thursday.

Took it in to work, connected to eScribe, loaded my .ecig file and uploaded it to the box.

Screwed on a tank and hit fire.

Screen went dead.  Same as before.

Stayed that way for about an hour and then...

The screen is now OFF all the time EXCEPT for when charging.  If fired during charging (or changes made to temp/watts) the screen blanks again and won't come back on unless it's unplugged and replugged in to the charger or PC.

When it's unplugged the screen NEVER comes on.

Have replied multiple times to my original RMA ticket with EVOLV since Friday morning but so far zero response.

Worried that I'll be without it again for another 2 weeks AND worried that it'll come back after those additional weeks STILL non-functional.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what may be going on?  I've requested that info from EVOLV but have received nothing.  Nothing came back with the unit describing what was done either.

VERY FRUSTRATED

i understand the frustration level must be high but evolv does not work on sat or sunday. i would open a new ticket but make reference to the old one and give them a few days to respond. most likely you'll have to send it back in. thems the breaks. it's a lot faster of an rma process when you desolder the board and sens just that in, at least in all my cases. good luck with getting it straightened out.

txmonkey214 said:

Sounds like a corrupted file. Try this: While plugged into escribe, go to "screen", and set all the light settings to 0%. Upload settings to device, soft reset, then go back to screen, raise all the settings to 100%, upload settings to device, soft reset, and see if that makes a difference. Ypu might have to reset a few times, to get the battery level off 0%. If that doesn't work, try it with hard reset. You have nothing to loose, but time.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning! I've suspected its related to their implementation/configuration of the DNA200 firmware & eScribe. I included my .ecig file along with the initial Evolv RMA but I don't think they did anything with it. What I got back was either a replacement board that was reprogrammed on the 16th or they just reprogrammed what was in there on the same date. Will post results tomorrow after the test.

Karsten said:

Thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning! I've suspected its related to their implementation/configuration of the DNA200 firmware & eScribe. I included my .ecig file along with the initial Evolv RMA but I don't think they did anything with it. What I got back was either a replacement board that was reprogrammed on the 16th or they just reprogrammed what was in there on the same date. Will post results tomorrow after the test.

Initial results:

Doing exactly what you described was able to bring the screen back in all instances EXCEPT for when firing - so a major step forward from no screen except when plugged in, bringing me right back to the no screen when firing.

At the very least I'll be able to change profiles now!

Still wondering what's causing it to turn off while firing though.  Maybe when I've got a few hours to kill I'll start from default and change eScribe settings one at a time to see if it makes a difference - although, I've already tried reverting back to defaults and it still goes off when firing (so maybe something in firmware triggered by an eScribe setting that can't be undone w/o reprogramming the board from scratch?)

txmonkey214 said:

Glad it was an improvement. Try this: Go to Screens, and change all the settings for charging and running in both temp and wattage. Reset. Then, set them back where you want them. Reset. Rinse, lather, repeat!

The "improvement" only lasted a couple hours.  Now the screen won't come on AT ALL whether charging or not, so it's now in the worst shape yet.

Holy crap this is seriously annoying.

I went back and re-did the earlier test but this time no effect.

Also did a "Restore Defaults", upload, soft reset - still no screen.  Reloaded only the minimum necessary settings to fire a NI200 coil to the defaults, re-uploaded, soft reset - no screen.  Reloaded original .ecig, uploaded, soft reset, went back and changed screen settings, re-upload, soft reset - still no screens.