2s 18650 discussion

John

turbocad6 said:

Are you sure it's set to 2s in escribe?

Sure was... Just soldered in a new chip: Pack-9.54 Cell1-4.21 Cell2-4.22 Cell3-1.11 Edit: I just upgraded the firmware. Even though it's still reporting voltage on cell 3, pack volts are now 8.43 Edit2: not charging... Edit3: I'm an idiot! Batteries were already fully charged to begin with... Edit4: now all of a sudden I get nothing on cell1 and 5.76 on cell2... WTF?

Ive put my batteries in wrong twice now, the second time i did not notice straight away, one battery got rather hot and the second got warm, i just pulled them and left it to cool. The first time there were no ill effects, the second time when the batteries got hot... the device was a bit flaky for a while, would not power up or would come on and go straight off, but after leaving the batteries out for an hour... its been working as normal since.

Ya know is it just me or doesn't it seem as if even with everything setup/wired properly that the DNA 200 when in 2cell / dual 18650 has stability issues? It seems the chip looses its reverse battery protection, also it seems to also loose it's cell monitoring feature aswell & quite possibly it's low cell cutoff point. Is there any reason Evolve doesn't have a public 'schematic' for dual 18650, yet there have been firmware updates to support the feature, but no schematic. I love evole's products, but with this chip I don't understand the lack of information , even with it being a newish board. Have I missed something that EVOLVE has made public of the dual 18650 setup & acknowledging the feature losses / instability? Any information would be appreciated.

Ive not had any issues with mine in dual 18650... device monitor shows the Cell Pack correctly and the two other cells, but cell 3 always shows a random low voltage, as for cell cut off, I set mine to 3.2v and low an behold, when I started to get the Weak Battery message I ran the device monitor and could see both Cells at 3.5v, but when I took a puff it dropped to 3.2v... so spot on I thought?

With regard to reverse battery protection, Evolv said there is none when using dual 18650 and that is why they will be releasing an add in board just for that, though like I said, ive put mine in wrong twice and the chip is still working a week later...

It only has reverse battery protection in that it was designed to be used with batteries that can only be connected in the correct polarity.  This feature comes from user requests and we need to remember that the board is a component that should only be installed within it's spec like any other electronic component.  They are working on a board to provide protection for this configuration and 3 x 18650 configuration.  If you made battery packs from 18 series batteries with polarised socket (they should be kept together as a set anyway) you would have reverse protection.

If wired correctly and the battery set properly in Escribe you still have all the monitoring and charging goodness that 3S LiPos have.

601broken said:

Ya know is it just me or doesn't it seem as if even with everything setup/wired properly that the DNA 200 when in 2cell / dual 18650 has stability issues? It seems the chip looses its reverse battery protection, also it seems to also loose it's cell monitoring feature aswell & quite possibly it's low cell cutoff point. Is there any reason Evolve doesn't have a public 'schematic' for dual 18650, yet there have been firmware updates to support the feature, but no schematic. I love evole's products, but with this chip I don't understand the lack of information , even with it being a newish board. Have I missed something that EVOLVE has made public of the dual 18650 setup & acknowledging the feature losses / instability? Any information would be appreciated.

Must just be you lol. Been using dual 18650 with no issues. Evolv made it public enough on this forum that I could build it. I guess I don't understand exactly what data you're looking for. I've experienced no instability and only feature lost is a full 200 watts for the 133.

I have one question regarding dual 18650 or triple 18650 setup.
If the connections are done as described in this thread by John, will the on board usb charging work?
What should be selected on the mod screen for type of battery? 

kalc said:

I have one question regarding dual 18650 or triple 18650 setup.
If the connections are done as described in this thread by John, will the on board usb charging work?
What should be selected on the mod screen for type of battery? 

Yes charging, monitoring etc will work, select LiPo in Escribe.

601broken said:

I think I'm correct in saying that the board was originally designed to be used ONLY with 3s Lipo's. The 2s scheme was done in response to customer requests and that's why there is no reverse battery protection in that configuration. I think I've seen somewhere that Evolv are developing an add-on board to provide reverse battery protection when using the 2s scheme.

Regarding cut-off etc. all work with 2 cells - all the mods I make are 2s 18650 and on board charging, cell cut-off and monitoring all work fine. I think there's more than enough information on this forum if you search to be able to put together a 2s mod.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding "instability?"

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a tough go at getting my chip to work properly in my build. I see that recommended wire size for the balancing tap wires is 20 GA or a bit bigger. .I bought a pre wired tap from my local rc store that uses 22 gauge. Could this be the reason I can't get my chip to stay powered on for more than 3 seconds? I know my wiring is correct and I've set chip to 2 cell and loaded the curve so I'm not understanding what the heck else I can do here. I didn't know if 22 gauge would be enough difference to cause this or not.

Jvape78 said:

I've been having a tough go at getting my chip to work properly in my build. I see that recommended wire size for the balancing tap wires is 20 GA or a bit bigger. .I bought a pre wired tap from my local rc store that uses 22 gauge. Could this be the reason I can't get my chip to stay powered on for more than 3 seconds? I know my wiring is correct and I've set chip to 2 cell and loaded the curve so I'm not understanding what the heck else I can do here. I didn't know if 22 gauge would be enough difference to cause this or not.

Can't be the wire gauge to the balance tap. Might be the way it's wired though. What does device manager report as the cell and pack voltages?

Jvape78 said:

Ground is run to b neg battery tray. 1 is run to bridge on battery tray. 2 and 3 are twisted together at the end and attached to positive on battery tray. Thanks for your help. I've rebuilt this thing over 30 times no shit. .about to loose it!

There is definitely a wiring problem or a board problem. To isolate, do you have a voltmeter? What jumps at me is showing voltage on cell 3 with the pins marked "2" and "3" shorted together and connected to B+ (Which should be impossible of course at the anticipated currents in the balance taps). Can you measure the actual voltage presented at the balance tap pads across the "2" and "3"? It should read zero of course. Likewise, measure across those pins and B+ ; should also read zero. Then measure across B- to pin marked "1" ; should read the cell 1 voltage shown in device manager. Measure across pin marked "1" to pin marked "2" ; should read the cell 2 voltage shown in device manager. Also, can you post a photo of your wiring. My eyesight isnt great but some of the guys here have been able to spot some subtle flaws by looking at the actual wiring. As another thought, when you say "twisted together" and "attached" you mean soldered, yes?

Yes twisted together, then soldered together then soldered to the bridge. For reference ,I did have this mod working but my positive 510 came a little loose so I wanted to beef up the solder and took the battery tray out to do it. All my problems have come after. Thiso is the first time I've ever soldered anything or built a mod. So it didn't come as a shock when I started having these issues but I've gone back and done this so many times now it is crazy. I will get some good pictures for you and I think I have a multimeter but I'll have to dig a little. Thank you for your help

Took the mount out so I could provide better pictures and soldered the pos and neg back on and it fires up just fine. . So could bad connection at the positive output side cause this? I have a hard time believing it was the connection at the b pads because I've redone those at least 20 times. .keeping my fingers crossed it works when I re install it back in the case!

20151017_184422.jpg

Finally figured it out. .the ground pin had come loose in the pad where it is soldered to the board. That little dude cost me every night after work for the last 6 days! I always learn the hard way. Anyways thanks for your assistance. It helped me figure out the issue .

20151017_205303.jpg

Jvape78 said:

Finally figured it out. .the ground pin had come loose in the pad where it is soldered to the board. That little dude cost me every night after work for the last 6 days! I always learn the hard way. Anyways thanks for your assistance. It helped me figure out the issue .

Glad to hear you got it going. Once you have it all put together and working, post pics of it in the show your DNA thread.

I do have 1 issue left to resolve. I keep getting a weak battery alert on screen when my battery bar is 3/4 full still. . I plugged it into escribe and the picture here is the readout. Everything looks right. Cells 1&2 reading 3.8 and cell 3 is reading 1.25. I know they set the limit to 1.5v on cell 3 so I'm under that. . Only thing I can think of is maybe the tap connection at the battery tray is not perfect and if it jumps up over 1.5 it causes the chip to enter 3s mode and then thinks the battery is low on that 3rd cell. But it never gives the message when the batteries are fully fresh and you'd think a connection issues could cause the message to be seen at any time..any other thoughts before I warm up the soldering iron?

20151018_164241.jpg