I need to know DNA250 voltage and current limitations in 167 Watt (two 18650) configuration

AMDtrucking

• 2 months later...
ChunkyButt200 said:

AMDTrucking - i made a mistake, it's actually 6.2v

Is this still accurate information? Because I've seen multiple online stores like VaporDNA here:

https://www.vapordna.com/Lost-Vape-Therion-166-DNA-167-Box-Mod-p/lvt167.htm

claim that the 2-cell "DNA 167" can output 1 to 7.4 volts.  I specifically just ordered a Therion 166 because I'm tired of bumping into the 6 volt limit of my HCigar VT133.  I'm going to be really p.o.'d if I find it has the same voltage limitation. Please confirm.

Well that sucks. If you google "Therion 166 7.4v" you'll see site after site after site with that bogus number. It's probably all copy and pasted from Lost Vape.  I've got some dual clapton builds above 0.5 ohms that I like and I'll hit that stupid 6 volt limitation well before I hit the 133 watt limit. Now I get to hit it way way before the 167 watt limit. Woohoo, what a great design decision there, Evolv. Even my little single battery eVic Mini can go to 9.5 volts. :(

kbriggs said:

All my clapton builds need at least 5 v.  It's rare that I go over 6 but it's ridiculous that this $80 chip cannot do it.

it cannot do it because it's buck only no boost. it cannot go over battery voltage, as is the case with MANY other 2S (2 cells in series) configured mods. in 3S (3 cells in series) mode you will get 9.3v max output. board price does not dictate voltage output. also, the board was designed to be used with in a 3S config, starting with the DNA 200. the only reason we have the 133 and 167 option is because a couple years ago people asked for it here in this forum. people were fully aware of the output voltage limitation when in 2S mode. their workaround........build lower ohm coils.

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66226-topic/

ChunkyButt200 said:

it cannot do it because it's buck only no boost.

Sounds like a poor design choice made on day 1.

it cannot go over battery voltage, as is the case with MANY other 2S (2 cells in series)

What other 2S system maxes at only 6.2 volts? Why is the completely drained condition of 3.1 volts per cell (x 2) the upper limit instead of at least the nominal condition (3.7 x 2)?

kbriggs said:

Sounds like a poor design choice made on day 1.

What other 2S system maxes at only 6.2 volts? Why is the completely drained condition of 3.1 volts per cell (x 2) the upper limit instead of at least the nominal condition (3.7 x 2)?

do you own a DNA 200 or 250? it takes a level of understanding electronics to see why it would be buck only when dealing with 11.1v battery voltage but basically you would not need to go above that voltage. You didn't read my post correctly, but that's ok. I said many of the 2S mods are buck only, which is true. I didn't say all of them had a 6.2v limit. Most will will likely state to have a limit of 7.5v BUT that is for a very short time give the cells will quickly call from 8.4v to their nominal combined voltage of 7.4v. Evolv' s boards will give you the wattage you select until the very end cell voltage range, not for just a short time like other boards. 3.1v is the voltage at rest. There will be losses and voltage drop during the conversion, when fire button is pressed, like with any board. Under load the batt voltage could be closer to 2.8 or lower. As an 18650 approaches the 3v mark, voltage drop becomes more pronounced. Like I said, there needs to be a basic understanding of electronics before making statements like yours. Obviously the DNA 133 or 167 is not for you. You would be better off with a 3S version of the DNA 200\250 or series mechanical.

ChunkyButt200 said:

do you own a DNA 200 or 250?

Yes, I have a pocket-unfriendly Reuleaux DNA 200. Fortunately its 9v output is adequate. And the HCigar VT133 with the 200 chip as I mentioned. And a Lost Vape Therion 166 with the 250 chip in route to me as I write this with the falsely advertised 7.4v output from VaporDNA (and at least a dozen other vendors), which apparently no one else on the planet noticed except for me.

Evolv' s boards will give you the wattage you select until the very end cell voltage range

Except or course it might not give you the wattage you select at all due to the low voltage output in 2-cell mode. You have to build at or below 0.23 ohms to access the full wattage range in the 167w configuration.

As @ChunkyButt200 mentioned:   "The board was designed to be used with in a 3S config, starting with the DNA 200. the only reason we have the 133 and 167 option is because a couple years ago people asked for it here in this forum. people were fully aware of the output voltage limitation when in 2S mode. their workaround........build lower ohm coils."

And he mentioned:  "Obviously the DNA 133 or 167 is not for you. You would be better off with a 3S version of the DNA 200\250 or series mechanical."  

I would only add that the 133 and 167 could work for you if you should decide to build a coil that works within the parameters of the device.  All my coils work just great within the parameters of my two 200's and three 75's.......

I hope you get it sorted out to your liking.... :thumb: 

retird said:

the only reason we have the 133 and 167 option is because a couple years ago people asked for it here in this forum. people were fully aware of the output voltage limitation when in 2S mode.

I can forgive the limitation in the 200/133 but Evolv could have addressed the issue in the 250/167 product (which came out later) and chose not to. Advertising a wattage increasing without a corresponding voltage increase is a bit of a sham IMO.

kbriggs said:

I can forgive the limitation in the 200/133 but Evolv could have addressed the issue in the 250/167 product (which came out later) and chose not to. Advertising a wattage increasing without a corresponding voltage increase is a bit of a sham IMO.

It is buyers choice, Evolv publish the specs and anyone wanting 166.66 W would be better advised to to get a 3 cell 250, IMO the 2 cell variants are for people at the lower end of the power scale who still want all the features, and vaping at say 75 W they can get to 0.5 ohm which is not low res by today's standards.    Being step-down only brings a lot of advantages and changing that would be a completely different product line from the 200 & 250.  My ADV is 0.05 ohm so I love that they built them like this, and ohms have been coming down over the last couple of years so I bet it suits more people than it encumbers.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...