Therion DNA75 SS316L Issues

Good Afternoon, 

The Therion is my first DNA device, but I am having trouble getting temperature control (specifically SS316L) to work properly. I'm not an expert in terms of Escribe, but I've explored it quite a lot trying to get temperature control to work. It is very frustrating to say the least. I have seen quite a few threads regarding the same issue, but nothing I've tried in those threads has worked. Let me try to explain what is going on. I am using a Griffin 25, UD 24 gauge SS316L, dual spaced coils reading at .18 ohms. I uploaded the SS316L csv file from steam-engine onto my device and set up a profile for it. In that profile I have temperature dominant selected, set at 455 degrees Fahrenheit, 62W, preheat power at 75W, preheat punch at 5 with a time limit of 1s. Every once in a while, it works perfect, but it seems that when my device goes idle and then I go to fire it again it freaks out and produces barely and vapor and the power reduces drastically. Other times (as shown in the images), it never reaches the correct temperature. Nowhere near what I have it set for. Everything is updated to the latest version. Is there something I'm missing here? I've tried contact coils, spaced, locking ohms, unlocking ohms, checked the atomizer analyzer (it fluctuates between .187 - .189), nothing has kept temp control constant and performing like it should. I love this device, but I would not have purchased it had I known I was basically only going to be able to use it in power mode for SS316L. Thanks y'all!

Screenshot_2016-08-30_15.11.41.png

Screenshot_2016-08-30_15.11.14.png

Screenshot_2016-08-30_16.20.48.png 
The picture above also happens (it's currently doing this). It's showing that it is reaching my set temperature, but producing little to no vapor at all. What the hell is going on? I've also found that if I take both batteries out then put them back in, it kind of resets itself and works again for a while then goes back to performing crappy.

It looks like Escribe bumped me back down to the 2016-05-02 firmware. Any idea why it would do that? If you look at the pictures I posted in the original post it shows the 2016-06-05. Really weird!

You are fighting refinement. The cold resistance between your first post and 2nd post are pretty far apart. Always mate a cold atomizer with a cold Mod. It is even better if you set the mod down for about 20 minutes afterwards(after the new coil prompt).

Wait for refinement before settling on a temperature to vape at. Don't set your temperature at 455° then try to force your mod to vape at that temperature. With the tank you have and the power you have it set at, I probably would have it set between 480 and 520.

The DNA won't remember the cold resistance when removing the battery unless you have the resistance locked in. Replace the batteries one at a time so you don't loose power to the board.

You can also lock the resistance after refinement and after you have everything dialed in right. I believe it will remember the locked resistance without power. I don't suggest locking resistance right after attaching a new coil, because the temperature readings won't be as accurate unless they were mated dead cold.  

You can also power the board with usb while changing batteries.

I was also having a major problem with SS316L. I found out that if I DL the .csv file from Steam Engine and replace the one from Lost Vapes with that also make it Temperature Dominant, I am getting a very good vape from my SS316L. The temp is different from what I would use my SX's at but I actually like it a lot better. I am really loving these DNA chips and the Escribe software. I am running my SS at 450F and it works great just letting the chip do its thing. Also I am using just a single coil and it is only taking between 10-15w to hold the temp so I changed the wattage to 25w and I got rid of the preheat which for my vaping works perfectly. I like this chip so much more then the YiHi now I want more but think I will get the 200 since it is more efficient and I can still run it like I do the 75. Battery life should be phenominal.

goldfish18 said:

Screenshot_2016-08-30_16.20.48.png 
The picture above also happens (it's currently doing this). It's showing that it is reaching my set temperature, but producing little to no vapor at all. What the hell is going on? I've also found that if I take both batteries out then put them back in, it kind of resets itself and works again for a while then goes back to performing crappy.

It looks like Escribe bumped me back down to the 2016-05-02 firmware. Any idea why it would do that? If you look at the pictures I posted in the original post it shows the 2016-06-05. Really weird!

Have you figured anything out? I'm fighting the exact same thing, and it is super frustrating.

Anyone with the Therion please do not use the 316L loaded by Lost vape, it is not correct. If you check the profiles loaded by Lost Vape the 316L,430 and the kanthal are all the same. Go to steam engine and down load the 316L from there and it will work perfectly. Also if you compare the 316L from Lost vape and the steam engine one you will notice they are not even close on the graph.  

To delete a material profile you must first ensure that it is not selected in a profile.

You can get the Evolv profiles by starting EScribe without a device connected, open Evolv DNA 75 from the Edit New Settings list, then go to the materials tab, select the profile in the list on the left and save to your hard disk.  Then you can load them to your device, no need to use SteamEngine for 316, Ti, Ni or Kanthal (Watts).

• 3 weeks later...
Spirometry said:

You are fighting refinement. The cold resistance between your first post and 2nd post are pretty far apart. Always mate a cold atomizer with a cold Mod. It is even better if you set the mod down for about 20 minutes afterwards(after the new coil prompt).

Wait for refinement before settling on a temperature to vape at. Don't set your temperature at 455° then try to force your mod to vape at that temperature. With the tank you have and the power you have it set at, I probably would have it set between 480 and 520.

The DNA won't remember the cold resistance when removing the battery unless you have the resistance locked in. Replace the batteries one at a time so you don't loose power to the board.

Could you elaborate on waiting to set the temp? I usually vape around 390-410ish, should i start lower and work up to it?

• 3 weeks later...

Same issues here with Lost vape therion 75, its a shame lost vape would ship mods out in this condition (with these settings) without even testing first. I was able to get my current tank ss316L coil working for now. Gonna test the rest and do some builds with standard and clapton 316L coils and see
if its completely resolved. 
BTW that lightening vapes SS316L spools of clapton wire are awesome. You can download the dna csv file for each awg. from their webstore very nice!

• 2 weeks later...
sdmf74 said:

Same issues here with Lost vape therion 75, its a shame lost vape would ship mods out in this condition (with these settings) without even testing first. I was able to get my current tank ss316L coil working for now. Gonna test the rest and do some builds with standard and clapton 316L coils and see
if its completely resolved. 
BTW that lightening vapes SS316L spools of clapton wire are awesome. You can download the dna csv file for each awg. from their webstore very nice!

I know I'm late to reply so I hope you see this. But I was having problems with both LV's pre-loaded SS316L profile and Steam-Engine's SS316L CSV. But I found Jaquith's v3.25 and v3.5 profiles work very well for my Lightning Vapes SS316L clapton wire. The v3.25 is a cooler, yet smoother, TC vape while the v3.5 is a warmer, punchier vape. The v7 profile works about as good for me as the LV and SE profile, which is to say not good at all. Though it might work on other SS316L wire from a company that uses different alloys, but I cannot confirm.

I could only find them on the ECR sub-Reddit, someone uploaded them to Google Drive linked here.

• 2 weeks later...
sdmf74 said:

Same issues here with Lost vape therion 75, its a shame lost vape would ship mods out in this condition (with these settings) without even testing first.

Seems to me Lost Vape ship their mods out (Therion AND Triad) with Ni200 profile installed for all SS and Ti materials... idiots o.O

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue at the OP.  I also changed the 316L profile with Jaquith's 3.5. with this sometimes it works. 

But when i start with a cold atty. it always say Temp protected indicating that it is reaching my desired 450F Temp. however the atty is still cold and produces little vapor.
i doubt it indicates the correct temp.

Also when i connect it to escribe and reload the profile. it works on the get go.  the problem starts again when the atty gets cold.

do i have a lemon?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Doubletapz said:

I am having the same issue at the OP.  I also changed the 316L profile with Jaquith's 3.5. with this sometimes it works. 

But when i start with a cold atty. it always say Temp protected indicating that it is reaching my desired 450F Temp. however the atty is still cold and produces little vapor.
i doubt it indicates the correct temp.

Also when i connect it to escribe and reload the profile. it works on the get go.  the problem starts again when the atty gets cold.

do i have a lemon?

Have you found what's the problem? I have same issue and got tired of it :(

• 2 months later...

Just got a Therion which is my first DNA, and got it as I've been curious about the praise they get.... and...

Sadly, it's been difficult. The 316L settings being completely wrong, took me hours to track the info down on how to fix it.

Just found this thread and saw that it's still something that people are having issues with and no solid solution.

So here goes: I finally got it to work correctly by manually building a profile for the material (in Escribe) and long story short, used the 316L temp coefficient of resistances of 0.00159, then adjusted as per: 68F=1.0, and 800F=1.37.

Now all my tanks that I've tested is now matching as close as possible the experience I've always had with all my other mods.

I hope this helps anyone that might be having similar issues.

• Like 1

imfallen_angel said:

Just got a Therion which is my first DNA, and got it as I've been curious about the praise they get.... and...

Sadly, it's been difficult. The 316L settings being completely wrong, took me hours to track the info down on how to fix it.

Just found this thread and saw that it's still something that people are having issues with and no solid solution.

So here goes: I finally got it to work correctly by manually building a profile for the material (in Escribe) and long story short, used the 316L temp coefficient of resistances of 0.00159, then adjusted as per: 68F=1.0, and 800F=1.37.

Now all my tanks that I've tested is now matching as close as possible the experience I've always had with all my other mods.

I hope this helps anyone that might be having similar issues.

A TCR value of .00091 will give you the same results...no adjustments necessary....00092 is a common TCR value used by lots of people & Daniel of DJSLB Vapes recommends a .00092 TCR value for 316L..http://www.djlsbvapes.com/dna200/..about half way down the page...00159 is very close to the TCR of SS410, which is .00155

giz_60 said:

A TCR value of .00091 will give you the same results...no adjustments necessary....00092 is a common TCR value used by lots of people & Daniel of DJSLB Vapes recommends a .00092 TCR value for 316L..http://www.djlsbvapes.com/dna200/..about half way down the page...00159 is very close to the TCR of SS410, which is .00155

Ok thanks, then I'm perplexed about all this...

I know my wire is 316L, all my non DNA device balance out the very same warmth at the same settings, and what I've done is the only way I managed (after hours of testing with the .00092 parameter that simply didn't work right at all and trying to adjust manually a curve that would give me a better result).

And from what I've found online in other forums, etc. including very this thread, not a single place have I found someone stating "this is the solution" and confirmed by every one else that would try it.

The few "solutions" looked like patches solutions follow with maybe one person saying that it worked for them, but then others that would say that it either didn't work for them is just temporarily.

Right now, my "solution" as worked for all of my tanks (several tested)... and I'm at the point of simply going, if it's working, let's not mess with it anymore.

imfallen_angel said:

Right now, my "solution" as worked for all of my tanks (several tested)... and I'm at the point of simply going, if it's working, let's not mess with it anymore.

Agreed...what works for one is not going to necessarily work for others...that's the beauty of the DNA devices, the ability to fine tune it to ones preferences...and alot of depends on the supplier of the material (wire) as well...I have had some 316L wires work good at .00088...some at .00092 and some work good at .00105...there are a lot of variables involved...none are right or wrong, it's what make YOU happy & satisfied that counts...enjoy & VAPE ON...:thumb:

giz_60 said:

Agreed...what works for one is not going to necessarily work for others...that's the beauty of the DNA devices, the ability to fine tune it to ones preferences...and alot of depends on the supplier of the material (wire) as well...I have had some 316L wires work good at .00088...some at .00092 and some work good at .00105...there are a lot of variables involved...none are right or wrong, it's what make YOU happy & satisfied that counts...enjoy & VAPE ON...:thumb:

DANG IT, one day later and I'm back to issues where it was fine for a while, then it's back to nothing consistent....I just put the mod down for a few, then I go to use it again (nothing changed) and now I had to increase the temp by almost 200F to get the same warmth.

I've flipped back and forth with the settings, (going from my profile to the SS -standard" and it'll be fine for a few, then no more warmth again...

This is getting to be very frustrating.

SS can be a finicky critter to work with...can you post a screen shot of your 'Mod' tab in Escribe & one of 'Device Monitor', while firing, with the following boxes checked...Power, Power Set, Temperature, Temperature Set, Cold Ohms & Live Ohms...also, what kind of coils are you using?