Wrong ohm read with SS316

rcamarda

Hi,

i've some problems with two DNA mods (VTBox 250 and Odin Mini).

I've a By-Ka v8 builded with 7 wraps of 28GA on 2.5 of SS316, legs in opposite directions.

The steam-engine ohm value is 0.706.

I tried on 3 non DNA boxes and they read one 0.73 (le petite box by vaponaute) and two 0.72 (aegis solo and dani mini). That's ok as precision and atom could affect the reading. 

On both DNA mods i get a 0.775 value which is quite away from what i do expect from a DNA.

Any suggestion? 

Edited by rcamarda
TC, SS316

• rcamarda changed the title to Wrong ohm read with SS316

Use Atomizer Analyzer to make sure the two 510 connections are more than just contacting. Note number of turns it take to lose good connection.

Set mod resistance yourself using 510 shorting tool. I made mine from an old cartomizer with it's end soldered over, a 510 to 510 adapter could have same done to it.

If you make any changes to mod resistance be sure to upload settings.

46 minuti fa, dwcraig1 ha scritto:

Use Atomizer Analyzer to make sure the two 510 connections are more than just contacting. Note number of turns it take to lose good connection.

Set mod resistance yourself using 510 shorting tool. I made mine from an old cartomizer with it's end soldered over, a 510 to 510 adapter could have same done to it.

If you make any changes to mod resistance be sure to upload settings.

I did try and the ohm are stable even moving the atom around to check if there is some contact issue. 

I did set internal resistence with a dedicated 510 shorting tool.

And I've updated everything to both boxes. 

6 minuti fa, dwcraig1 ha scritto:

I'm a fan of the  non color boards. They have a feature called refinement where the board fine tunes the cold resistance when the mod sits idle.

Color boards don't refine.

Try letting your atty cool and remeasure ohms again, does it change? 

I did try almost everything and searched a lot. I posted here because i did finish ideas! :D

You might try using an ohm meter to verify ohms on all 3 devices 510 connectors (no atty attached). Record your results.  Then use the ohm meter to check your installed coil (atty not attached to device) where the coil connects to the atty and then check the ohm reading at the atty connector where the atty screws into a device. What are your results?

I just randomly grabbed three mods and three tanks @rcamarda and I played switcheroo.

Zeus X Kanthal Mesh
0.224Ω Hyperion DNA100C
0.23Ω Geek Vape Original Aegis
0.223Ω Geek Vape Aegis X

Cerberus (not sure of the non-TC coil in there right now)
0.302Ω Hyperion DNA100C
0.31Ω Geek Vape Original Aegis
0.298Ω Geek Vape Aegis X

Aspire Atlantis Ni200
0.157Ω Hyperion DNA100C
0.17Ω Geek Vape Original Aegis
0.161Ω Geek Vape Aegis X

Of course, I could keep making the list longer and longer all day. But I am not seeing anything out of line here. So what does your resistance reads on your DNA mods when you set the wattage to 1 watt (for safety), have the Atomizer Analyzer reading live and you stick a screwdriver to short the 510 pin to the threads without firing the mod read? Don't worry about that spark if you see one. It is harmless to you.

If you're curious what the Aegis X reads shorted, it reads 0.000Ω and errored Atomizer Short.

All of my devices are DNA devices (and have many of them) and the mod resistance has been set on all of them.  They all measure within very minimal difference between each so close that I use the same profiles on each device depending on whether in TC, non-TC, or in Replay (for the 75, 100, 250, or 400C models).  

You lost me when setting the wattge to 1 watt for safety....??? I never use a screwdriver to short the connector...

Yes I too have many DNA mods, over 90 at last count. All but one reads about the same as the next. The only one that doesn't and it should come as no surprise is my Vape.Tools Railbox DNA40. The 510 socket runs up and down on this track system with wiper blades and all. You are just begging for resistance issues with this kind of design. But it is still nice for a mod collection nonetheless. And sometimes you can get a nice vape off of it too. ;)

Yes I say set the wattage to 1 watt for safety, since in case the mod fires on its own or the user accidentally mashes down on the fire button. Otherwise it doesn't really matter what the wattage is set to.

I say short it with a screwdriver since that is something virtually every vaper has available. Not everyone has one of those DNA200 Calibration tools to use, like some of us. ;)

Il 10/5/2022 in 17:35 , BillW50 ha scritto:

I just randomly grabbed three mods and three tanks @rcamarda and I played switcheroo.

Zeus X Kanthal Mesh
0.224Ω Hyperion DNA100C
0.23Ω Geek Vape Original Aegis
0.223Ω Geek Vape Aegis X

Cerberus (not sure of the non-TC coil in there right now)
0.302Ω Hyperion DNA100C
0.31Ω Geek Vape Original Aegis
0.298Ω Geek Vape Aegis X

Aspire Atlantis Ni200
0.157Ω Hyperion DNA100C
0.17Ω Geek Vape Original Aegis
0.161Ω Geek Vape Aegis X

Of course, I could keep making the list longer and longer all day. But I am not seeing anything out of line here. So what does your resistance reads on your DNA mods when you set the wattage to 1 watt (for safety), have the Atomizer Analyzer reading live and you stick a screwdriver to short the 510 pin to the threads without firing the mod read? Don't worry about that spark if you see one. It is harmless to you.

If you're curious what the Aegis X reads shorted, it reads 0.000Ω and errored Atomizer Short.

Here i am. Had to find the time to do some tests.

The Odin Mini 75c reads 0,040.

The VTBox 250c reads 0.038.

Before testing with the screwdriver i did set the internal resistence to 0.

Apart from the screwdriver test, since you mentioned the wire I'm using is a suprema ratio ss316 28GA wire.

Edited by rcamarda
  • Like 1

@rcamarda After a good sleep, here's an idea. 
Remove atty from mod for 10 minutes (to cool), go to a completely different profile where it shows zero for the ohms (don't worry about material type). Re-install atty and hit the fire button which will generate the new coil message. What are the Ω's

Rambling on.
I'm wondering if you're hitting the fire button even briefly (before you remeasure) which could cause the ohms to rise that 0.06Ω from your Dani. Considering both of your calibrated DNAs read the coil exactly the same, it would be hard for me to fault the mod

Do you see this difference between mods with different atty's like @BillW50 showed?

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 8:53 AM, Wayneo said:

@rcamarda After a good sleep, here's an idea. 
Remove atty from mod for 10 minutes (to cool), go to a completely different profile where it shows zero for the ohms (don't worry about material type). Re-install atty and hit the fire button which will generate the new coil message. What are the Ω's

Rambling on.
I'm wondering if you're hitting the fire button even briefly (before you remeasure) which could cause the ohms to rise that 0.06Ω from your Dani. Considering both of your calibrated DNAs read the coil exactly the same, it would be hard for me to fault the mod

Do you see this difference between mods with different atty's like @BillW50 showed?

I tried different atoms: by-ka v8, sputnik, vapor giant M5, Eliteism and Iago by telli's mod.

I do confirm DNA behaviour. 

Coils are read +0.04 on the Odin mini and +0.03 on the VTBox 250c.

Aegis solo reads +0.01 and dani mini reads +0.01.

• Like 1

I will assume you did not do TempCal Init on your Dani, and it was set for normal watts.
Your DNAs should still work fine for TC vaping even though they both read the coils slightly higher than your other mods, as they were both calibrated.

You will notice on escribe in all of the profiles the coil resistance is always stored as an Ω and temperature pair which is used to derive the base 20°C (which will be lower)

That's the best I got.

14 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

I will assume you did not do TempCal Init on your Dani, and it was set for normal watts.
Your DNAs should still work fine for TC vaping even though they both read the coils slightly higher than your other mods, as they were both calibrated.

You will notice on escribe in all of the profiles the coil resistance is always stored as an Ω and temperature pair which is used to derive the base 20°C (which will be lower)

That's the best I got.
PS in looking back I think you missed a zero. So the differences would have been +0.04, +0.03, etc

Yes, I got the Dani just for a ohm read, so I did not do the init process.

Thanks for all the details and I will update this thread as I got more DNA mods.