DNA 250c - Case Analyzer - Cooldown AMPs over 0

rcamarda

Hello,

I've connected the box to Escribe, updated the firmware and then run the Case Analyzer. 

During every cooldown round the AMPs to the box were not 0. It fluctuates around 0 by some mAMP towards the positive side. 

This lead the temperature to raise and stabilize around 6/7 °C over the room temp.

This seems to invalidate the Analysis as during the cooldown the box should be left free to cooldown towards room temp.

Using the monitor and disabling USB recharge in Diagnostic allow the 0 AMP on USB and the box drift to the room temperature properly.

Some details on setup:

• VTBOX 250c
  • Escribe last stable (tried on linux and windows on two differente laptops)
  • Used different USB cables

Edited by rcamarda

I'd like to point you to this thread in "Report a Bug" that i've already made, describing the exact same behaviour:
Amperage fluctuating close to zero during case analysis, making it impossible to equalize to room temperature

I also reached out to Evolv Support and this is the answer i got:

Zitat

Yes, this is accounted for in the case analyzer. Because of how the charging IC we use works, that very small amount of current is intended. The charging IC will not turn off completely when a USB cable is connected because it simply cannot. The extremely small amount of charging current you see in the test window, is intended and accounted for in the test.

Thanks,

Jacob
Evolv, Inc

I don't think this is an honest answer though because I've seen a few videos on thermal calibration and all of them had the amps sitting at perfect 0.000A.
I can't imagine that the added temperature is accounted for in the result because that's simply not how calibration works.
How can you calibrate and measure off a baseline when your baseline is flawed to begin with?
How can you account for something in a calibration process where one of the unknown parameters to be found is excactly what you're supposedly accounting for?

Sadly Evolv's presence in this board is close to zero so i fear we might never get an answer or an update that addresses this.

Greetz,

Unr3aL

Edited by Unr3aL

14 ore fa, Unr3aL ha scritto:

I'd like to point you to this thread in "Report a Bug" that i've already made, describing the exact same behaviour:
Amperage fluctuating close to zero during case analysis, making it impossible to equalize to room temperature

I also reached out to Evolv Support and this is the answer i got:

I don't think this is an honest answer though because I've seen a few videos on thermal calibration and all of them had the amps sitting at perfect 0.000A.
I can't imagine that the added temperature is accounted for in the result because that's simply not how calibration works.
How can you calibrate and measure off a baseline when your baseline is flawed to begin with?
How can you account for something in a calibration process where one of the unknown parameters to be found is excactly what you're supposedly accounting for?

Sadly Evolv's presence in this board is close to zero so i fear we might never get an answer or an update that addresses this.

Greetz,

Unr3aL

I understand. I don't know if i agree.

According to Evolv support it is taken in account. We can speculate but without any further info it's difficult to find out.

What i think is worst is the total lack of any noticeable documentation. And i do understand that the fraction of users looking for that documentation do not worth to even produce it.

Edited by rcamarda

• 3 weeks later...

I've an update on this topic. 

I went through a Case Analysis with a 75c and during the cooldown processes the amp on USB were solid 0. 

So i think this is a bug on the 250c or the process is different for the two boards and one has the possibility to set the USB recharge to 0 (75c), during Thermal Analysi, and one has not (250c) and they accounted this in the analysis calculation.

Edited by rcamarda