Lost vape Orion purple light of death ?

Andyj0803

On 1/28/2019 at 7:01 PM, Andyj0803 said:

I have a Lost vape Orion it's a week old. 

When I press the fire button I get a purple blinking light , It blinks once. When I let off the fire button it blinks again. I've tried a new pod. Nothing....pod seems to be making a connection.  I try pressing the button 5 times...nothing....help any ideas ?

Try connecting it to your computer and performing a soft reboot using the escribe software. If that doesn't work work, then try doing the hard reboot option. 

• 3 months later...

I have one with the same issue, hooked it to a PC did all the resets, updated the fw, reset to factory, and no mater what purple light blinks once on press and blinks once on release of the main button. Any ideas on why this happens or how to fix would be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Byte6d65 said:

I have one with the same issue, hooked it to a PC did all the resets, updated the fw, reset to factory, and no mater what purple light blinks once on press and blinks once on release of the main button. Any ideas on why this happens or how to fix would be appreciated.

Did you get it wet, by chance? The reason I ask is because I just recently got mine wet, and it started to fire by itself. It did so beyond the 5 second cut off, and would not fire at all after drying it off. I took mine apart, months ago, to do the pin short trick to get it to light up again as it had went into a soft brick mode.

I'd recommend against doing this if it is still under warranty, because it will void the warranty. I had bought it secondhand off of the guy at my local vape shop that was quitting, so I wasn't worried if I voided it due to getting it for so cheap.

Anyway, I took it apart again last night to rub the board down with alcohol to make sure I got rid of any moisture that could be causing a short. What I found was that something on the board had gotten so hot that it had leaked whatever "fluid" that was inside of it out on to the board, and it was covering quite a few solder points. 

I'm guessing it was a capacitor, but I'm not completely sure. Nothing stuck out as obvious. After reassembling the device, I tried to fire it again. I had the purple light of death. An interesting find was that I could connect it to my computer, launch the escribe software, go to device monitor, and use the on-screen buttons (revealed by hitting the tiny button on the left of the "puff" button) to unlock the device. The device's button did the same thing as yours, but by clicking on and holding down the on-screen fire button, I was able to puff on it just like I would normally with the device's button.

Nothing I did fixed it, no matter how many times I cleaned it, rebooted it, or pressed the buttons. It held me over until I could get by the shop to grab me another today. Luckily, I had enough points built at the vape shop to take some of the sting out of a new one, but I still dropped close to $50. It wasn't ideal, but neither is doing without it whenever you want it!

I'm going to keep messing with the other one to see if I can fix it, but I don't have a lot of confidence in this repair. If it's not a bad component on the board, then it's a bad trace within it. I'll probably try to reflow it in the oven or with a heat gun.

That's probably way more than you wanted to hear, but that's what I've found to be the cause of mine. Hope that helps some.

I got the blinking purple light also after using Escribe.  I unplugged it from the computer and all it did was continually blink purple.  I then hit the fire button 5 times to see if I could turn off the device and it worked; then 5 times to turn it back on and everything was back to normal and worked as it should.  FYI on another topic, I tried to update the settings to max of 30 (as it says you can do) and that turned my vapes into pure hell.  Hot as heck, horrible burnt tastes, etc.  So even though it says you can increase the wattage to 30, for me, that was a total fail so I reset to factory.

27 minutes ago, Cheryl said:

I tried to update the settings to max of 30 (as it says you can do)

Well, the board can do that, but in a similar fashion to regular coils with power ranges like 40-80 watts, best at 55 ...... these were setup with their recommendations. In the future, you might want to increase by a watt or two at a time.

34 minutes ago, Cheryl said:

Hot as heck, horrible burnt tastes, etc.  So even though it says you can increase the wattage to 30, for me, that was a total fail so I reset to factory.

Oh I can certainly see that. And a great warning to others.

I actually set all parameters 10 apart, adding a 4th; so the highest default setting was 15; I set mine at 10, 20, 30 and 40 (even though it said 30 was max).  I then tried a vape at 30 which was a nightmare, extremely hot and burnt to no end; changed to 20 with same results, changed to 10, still same results.  I could see that this offering from them to change the settings is flawed so I reset to factory and all is good again.  Even at 15 default settings, the drip tip gets hot in about 5 seconds; I wish they had the option to change it out.

43 minutes ago, Cheryl said:

tried a vape at 30 which was a nightmare, extremely hot and burnt to no end; changed to 20 with same results, changed to 10, still same results

once a coil/cotton (any coil) is burnt badly,  I have found that at a minimum you have to change the cotton (pod in your case) because it will linger. So your same results was probably with that same pod.

57 minutes ago, Cheryl said:

I could see that this offering from them to change the settings is flawed

NOWHERE in that 7 page User Manual does it mention to change the watts, ONLY from low to medium or high, WHICH WAS ALREADY configured for you. Or, you tell me where you read that

I think if you google signature tips, they sell replacements for the drip tip.  

45 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

once a coil/cotton (any coil) is burnt badly,  I have found that at a minimum you have to change the cotton (pod in your case) because it will linger. So your same results was probably with that same pod.

THE COIL DOES NOT TASTE BURNT NOW THAT I'VE RESET IT; IT WAS THE SETTING.  BTW, TYPING IN CAPS TO SET MY RESPONSE OUT FROM YOUR QUESTION.

NOWHERE in that 7 page User Manual does it mention to change the watts, ONLY from low to medium or high, WHICH WAS ALREADY configured for you. Or, you tell me where you read that 

I WATCHED AN INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO ON YOUTUBE AND IT SHOWED HOW TO CHANGE THE WATTAGE SETTINGS AND ADVISING YOU COULD ADD ADDITIONAL WATTAGES, WHICH I WAS ABLE TO DO, CHANGING IT FROM THE 3 DEFAULT SETTINGS TO 4 DIFFERENT SETTINGS, 10, 20, 30 AND 40; BUT AFTER I DID, EVERY SETTING WAS VERY HOT AND TASTED BURNT - AND AS STATED ABOVE, IT WAS NOT A  COIL ISSUE AS ONCE I RESET TO DEFAULTS, IT RETURNED TO NORMAL AND TASTED FINE.  YOU BASICALLY COULDN'T VAPE IT WHEN I CHANGED THE SETTINGS, SO I OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T DO MUCH DAMAGE TO THE "NEW" POD/COIL I HAD JUST INSERTED A FEW DAYS AGO.

I think if you google signature tips, they sell replacements for the drip tip.  - YOU CAN TAKE THE DRIP TIP OFF (BUT IT ISN'T EASY), AND  IT IS NOT YOUR STANDARD 510 OR 810 DRIP TIP SO YOU CANNOT PUT ONE OF THOSE INTO IT.  THE DRIP TIP ON THERE GOES OVER THE HOLE, NOT INSIDE THE HOLE, AND I DO NOT BELIEVE IS MEANT TO BE CHANGED. SINCE YOU REALLY HAVE TO WORK AT GETTING IT OFF   ALSO, THE DRIP TIP IS VERY THIN ALSO SO IT HEATS UP QUICKLY OR AT LEAST ON MINE IT DOES, EVEN IF SET TO MEDIUM.

The signature tips have a tip specifically for the orion, you take the tip and the air adjustment ring off and pop the new one on. 

Thats crazy that it tasted burnt at 10w and then not at 15w... Normally once I burn cotton, whatever atomizer or pod I'm using goes right in the trash, even a brand new one 🔥🌋🏜☀😵😖🗑

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Orion stopped working and is unresponsive with the fire button but changes the voltage on EScribe when i click it. Hwen i click the adjustment button it flashes purple on press and release. I recently found that if I click the Adjustment Button 6 times it will fire and continue to fire until i click it another 6 times, any ideas with what may be wrong?

47 minutes ago, retird said:

What happens when you take off the pod and repeat the process you described.  What do you see in Device Monitor?

What does it say in the lower left corner of  Device Monitor?

With the pod off the light flashes purple twice and in Device Monitor it says goes from Mode: Locked to Normal 

Follow these steps:

Plug device into Escribe and open Device Monitor (no atty attached)

Lower left corner (LLC in later instructions) should say Normal or Charging. If it also says Locked then click the fire button 5 times.

Press fire button once.  Voltage drops. No atomizer message in lower center of Device Monitor.

Press and hold adjust button for a second or 2.  No Atomizer should appear to the right of Mode in LLC (toward the center of the line, not close to Mode section). Adjust message seen in the Button: category. (lower section of Device Monitor).

Press fire button 5 times.  Mode should show Locked (in either Normal or Charge Mode.

Press fire button and voltage should drop.

Press adjust button and where it says Buttons it should say “Adjust”

Press adjust button 6 times… may say “adjust” or “none” beside Button… no change in voltage while clicking 6 times.

What are your results compared to this description?

• 3 months later...

Ok everyone, I decided to create an account on here because this has happened to me twice now. 

the first time, I put a new pod in and connected it to escribe, did the hard reset and disconnected it and clicked the fire button 5 times and it worked as normal. i think that time the pod must have been the culprit as it probably wasn't making good contact? Idk i can't be sure but that's how i got it back to working

the second time (today) i looked around on the inter yet again to find a solution but again my last solution worked again. i kept getting a yellow blinking light and then it went to a purple/white blinking light and i couldnt use my vape. so i did the same thing. put a new pod in(it had been a while since the change but i was still getting great flavor due to the replay feature) , connected it, hard reboot, click 5 times and voila it's working again. 

NO my vape was not locked...this was the first step in troubleshooting all of this. 

Vape was charged.

Vape was not exposed to harsh conditions or dropped

vape was not exposed to water or steam.

P.S i used some setting somebody posted on reddit and if i find them again ill post them here but my vape hits have been amazing ever since I changed the settings and my pods last a looong time.

these are the settings i used and my pods are going for weeks

Edited by eddiev8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...