Max Output Voltage of 250C

strikeiii

44 minutes ago, retird said:

hum. using your 2 batteries.  build a 0.50 ohm coil and fire it at 200 watts..... what output voltage do you show in Device Monitor?   

Well, the reason why I'm asking is because I don't want to purchase a device with dual battery if its going to limit me to a 6v output like the previous 250. Wanted to make sure first before I spend the money. 

51 minutes ago, strikeiii said:

Well, the reason why I'm asking is because I don't want to purchase a device with dual battery if its going to limit me to a 6v output like the previous 250. Wanted to make sure first before I spend the money. 

Vendors selling them have different values above 6.2 volts in their ads..... so

You probably should ask your question at the Evolv Help Desk to get the correct answer from the board makers.....  here is the link.....and let us know what you find out...

https://helpdesk.evolvapor.com/index.php?a=add&category=1

24 minutes ago, retird said:

You probably should ask your question at the Evolv Help Desk to get the correct answer from the board makers.....  here is the link.....and let us know what you find out...

Thanks, I submitted the ticket so I'll post when I get a response. 

vor 13 Stunden schrieb retird:

I think it is something between 7-7.5 but don't take my word for it. Would also love to know a official v.

45 minutes ago, S3mj0n said:

Good to know. More than I thought.

Max output voltage I achieved using a DNA 250C with 2 Sanyo 20070A cells with a .289 resistance = 6.43v. No where near 8.4v. here would be no way in hell there would  be 0 voltage drop/sag between the cells board and atty.

So you may want to re-ask your question to Evolv in the clearest, most understandable way possible. 

1296373141_dna250cmaxv.png.3489876f8ab5a

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spector NS5 RD said:

Max output voltage I achieved using a DNA 250C with 2 Sanyo 20070A cells with a .289 resistance = 6.43v. No where near 8.4v. here would be no way in hell there would  be 0 voltage drop/sag between the cells board and atty.

So you may want to re-ask your question to Evolv in the clearest, most understandable way possible. 

Lol, wow now I'm having even less faith with Evolv if their own tech support can't answer a simple question. I did ask again so we'll see what he says. See my screenshot, I don't know how much more clear I can be with my question. 709640953_Screenshot_20181217-105523_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.3ce75fb58ab8ceaa672686917fc23d89.jpg

Edited by strikeiii

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Spector NS5 RD:

That is interesting. I just did a short test and put my 0.6 build to 200w and achieved 6.9 volt displayed on the mod. Didn't test it in escribe so there might be a difference, maybe.

Used a Paranormal 250c with 2x VTC5A 18650

Edited by S3mj0n

The 250C is a buck regulator. It cannot boost the input voltage, so you are limited to what the batteries can supply.

This PDF seems to indicate that

Look at the Kanthal power limit for 2S batteries. It starts to drop at ~0.35 ohms. Assume this is because max Vout is 8.4v:

8.4v/0.35 ohms= 24A.

24A *8 .4v=201.6 watts

Realistically, you'll get voltage sag under load.

Edited by Coyote
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coyote said:

The 250C is a buck regulator. It cannot boost the input voltage, so you are limited to what the batteries can supply.

This PDF seems to indicate that

Look at the Kanthal power limit for 2S batteries. It starts to drop at ~0.35 ohms. Assume this is because max Vout is 8.4v:

8.4v/0.35 ohms= 24A.

24A *8 .4v=201.6 watts

Realistically, you'll get voltage sag under load.

Yeah that's basically what support responded back to me with the second time around. Thanks. 

As I posted earlier.... "hum. using your 2 batteries.  build a 0.50 ohm coil and fire it at 200 watts..... what output voltage do you show in Device Monitor?   "

OHM's Law......  200 watts @ 0.50 ohm coil = 10 volts..........  so fire this coil and see what the output voltage reads in Device Monitor.... (fire it but don't vape it...YUCK)

@strikeiii..... from the posts here  and Evolv's reply I think you got your answer that " you are not limited to a 6v output like the previous 250 ".  

5 minutes ago, retird said:

As I posted earlier.... "hum. using your 2 batteries.  build a 0.50 ohm coil and fire it at 200 watts..... what output voltage do you show in Device Monitor?   "

OHM's Law......  200 watts @ 0.50 ohm coil = 10 volts..........  so fire this coil and see what the output voltage reads in Device Monitor.... (fire it but don't vape it...YUCK)

Whatever it is, it should match the device monitor reading for battery pack voltage, which will be quite a bit less than 8.4v under load. 

You are basically in bypass mode with a resistance that high.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Whatever it is, it should match the device monitor reading for battery pack voltage, which will be quite a bit less than 8.4v under load. 

You are basically in bypass mode with a resistance that high.

According to Evolv's 2 cell chart in the Datasheet 0.50 Kanthal should fire at a bit below 150 watts which would be somewhat lower than 8.6 volts... much higher than the 6.0 volt limit of a 250 discussed here.  

Wish I had a 2 cell 250C so I could give more specific real time results but I don't so only going on spec's given by Evolv....  

So basically the atty resistance will determine the available output voltage. The DNA 250C is a 98%  energy efficient buck converter so theoretically little energy is lost during the conversion.

SO.........the higher the atty resistance, the higher output voltage will be. There will always be losses and sag though.......cell quality, wiring, boARD efficiency etc etc etc           Best i can  explain it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the 250C manual:

The DNA 250C runs from up to a 4s lithium polymer type battery pack or round lithium ion 18650 type batteries wired in series. Maximum power output is as follows for various battery configurations:

Battery Configuration Power Output
2s (8.4v) 200 Watts
3s (12.6v) (US Firmware) 250 Watts
3s (12.6v) (International Firmware) 300 Watts
4s(16.8v) 400 Watts

1 hour ago, Wayneo said:

@Nexolek Page 2 of the datasheet shows Output Voltage   10.0 Volts Maximum, which can only be reached with a 3 or 4 cell battery mod. 

Huh, weird. I pasted that right from the pdf. Seems to be a bit of confusion since both documents are from Evolv.

Edit: actually it's the same document. I pasted from page 17.

Edited by Nexolek

3 hours ago, Nexolek said:

Edit: actually it's the same document. I pasted from page 17.

True dat. However we're talking output voltage (voltage supplied to the coil), which for a 2 cell mod is the the current pack voltage of the 2 cells.  And for 3 and 4 cell mods, 10V max. (Less sag and inefficiences). 

• Like 1