Jump to content

My DNA 250C Build.........


Recommended Posts

You shouldn't be afraid to try, soldering is the only real skill you need. You can practise soldering on scraps before you do it on the board :)

The mod in the pic has a relatively small battery, If your looking for some major battery life, a bigger Lipo would be a better choice.

The first 2 I posted have 4S 1500mAH Lipos :) I can vape 2  full tanks plus, on a single charge, with the Supreme + (10 mil per fill) :) Now thats an ADV :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope you don't mind another one jumping in!

I hope you don't mind if I get in on your thread? These are my first  250C builds I used  3D printed enclosures  from SW, evolv 510's & 4S 1500 mAH Lumenier  Lipo's  I didn't take a

Hope you don't mind me jumping in too, same mod as steamer861 I think (mine is sized for a maxamps 1300MaH 4S, but in black, used a Cisco v2 510 from Avidvaper.com so I had to shim it 1mm, lov ing rep

Posted Images

Thanks for the reply, love ya work! I can already solder ok, although I haven’t done much for a while - too busy with the wife & kids etc. I used to build all sorts of kits in my late teens & early 20’s, but that was a while ago now (I’m 50+!).  Most of my soldering these days is just reattaching wires on kids toys (or MODs!)! Perhaps I have a look for a decent kit as I don’t have the time to muck about sourcing all the different bits I’d need . Getting stuff sent down here to Oz can take a while too. I’ll let you know how I go, but if know of anyone offering a decent 250C kit, I’d love to hear about it! Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Laguz75 just posted this to Shapeways for me:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E28XXKAEX/tool-30mm-mod?optionId=65433302

Ordered two, one will sport the Maxamps 1300MaH 4s up to 400W, the other I will be using the Maxamps 1800MaH 3s for up to 300W, I will post picks of both once I have them built, this will go with the one I made and posted earlier in the thread, right now they say they will ship on about 5/15, so I anticipate having them both put together that weekend.

In the meantime here is another pic of the first DNA250C that I printed and built from Shapeways.

20180427_153929.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gizman said:

Laguz75 just posted this to Shapeways for me:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E28XXKAEX/tool-30mm-mod?optionId=65433302

Ordered two, one will sport the Maxamps 1300MaH 4s up to 400W, the other I will be using the Maxamps 1800MaH 3s for up to 300W, I will post picks of both once I have them built, this will go with the one I made and posted earlier in the thread, right now they say they will ship on about 5/15, so I anticipate having them both put together that weekend.

In the meantime here is another pic of the first DNA250C that I printed and built from Shapeways.

20180427_153929.jpg

Man those enclosures are expensive ... $81 AUD asking price for 3D printed part's seems ridiculous.

Edited by ruckus
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ruckus said:

Man those enclosures are expensive ... $81 AUD asking price for 3D printed part's seems ridiculous.

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but I can build the whole mod for around $200 US (or cheaper if I didn't insist on Maxamps lipos), would cost $250 for a Boxer or the like (and you would still need to buy batteries). 

I printed my first DNA 200 off of Shapeways 3 years ago and it's still going strong, have dropped it, shoot, tripped and threw it against concrete, the mod was fine, atty glass was broken, but the material shapeways uses is super durable. 

I have a DNA250 that I printed almost 2 years ago, it's still going strong, and nearly unbreakable. 

It seems expensive, but compared to $300-$400 for other lipo mods it's so much better, and lighter than a dual 18650 Zinc or Alum. mod.  I've bought products from all sorts of manufacturers from China to the US, and nothing seems to take a licking and keep on ticking like the ones I 3D print on Shapeways and make myself.

Edited by gizman
Added or cheaper if I didn't insist on Maxamps
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gizman said:

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but I can build the whole mod for around $200 US, would cost $250 for a Boxer or the like.  I printed my first DNA 200 off of Shapeways 3 years ago and it's still going strong, have dropped it, shoot, tripped and threw it against concrete, the mod was fine, atty glass was broken, but the material shapeways uses is super durable. 

I have a DNA250 that I printed almost 2 years ago, it's still going strong, and nearly unbreakable.  It seems expensive, but compared to $300-$400 for other lipo mods it's so much better, and lighter than a dual 18650 Zinc or Alum. mod.  I've bought products from all sorts, and nothing seems to take a licking and keep on ticking like the ones I 3D print on Shapeways and make myself.

Man I swear by alpinetech.. love those enclosures. . cheap too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I love them as well, but I end up scratching them, and they are so BIG and HEAVY, if you work with someone on Shapeways instead of making what you want fit in the enclosure you can just have an enclosure made that fits what you want perfectly, and is of a lightweight durable material that doesn't show scratches.  And if you do mess one up, just reprint.

I understand they aren't for everyone, but they work best for me. Frogmod (laguz75 on Shapeways) worked with me in his spare time over several weeks to get me exactly what I wanted, I can't thank him enough, very smart, creative guy that will help you out if you are looking for something specific and can't find what you want.

Probably others that would do the same, but he really did me a solid and put up with my BS, so I really appreciate it Frogmod if you are reading this!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gizman said:

Yeah, I love them as well, but I end up scratching them, and they are so BIG and HEAVY, if you work with someone on Shapeways instead of making what you want fit in the enclosure you can just have an enclosure made that fits what you want perfectly, and is of a lightweight durable material that doesn't show scratches.  And if you do mess one up, just reprint.

I understand they aren't for everyone, but they work best for me. Frogmod (laguz75 on Shapeways) worked with me in his spare time over several weeks to get me exactly what I wanted, I can't thank him enough, very smart, creative guy that will help you out if you are looking for something specific and can't find what you want.

Probably others that would do the same, but he really did me a solid and put up with my BS, so I really appreciate it Frogmod if you are reading this!

 

Don't get me wrong tho I like the idea of a 3D printed enclosure (weight/scratch resistant) but yeah I couldn't justify the price..

Found these STEP files online just in case anyone reading this is interested on getting the ball rolling on a 3D printed reference case on the cheap: http://www.mamumods.com/dna250c/250CReferenceCase.zip

Edited by ruckus
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gizman said:

or cheaper if I didn't insist on Maxamps lipos)

Why do you insist on "MaxAmp"? They are the most expensive Lipo on the market! We are building vape mods, Not Flying $1000.00 Drones.

IMO there are a lot of  Less expensive options that would Work Fine here.  Just Saying 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't buy anything that contains a Maxamps battery, or anything that recommends them. They are low quality cells at a premium price. They offer a lifetime warranty, but I could replace a better quality of a lesser price at least 3 times for less money and hassle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always try to read a warranty.........  Lifetime Warranty 
During the first year of ownership, MaxAmps will replace any defective LiPo or LiFe battery at no cost. After one year, any defective MaxAmps LiPo or LiFe battery can be exchanged for just 50% of the new pack's list price. Our lifetime warranty is non-transferrable. You must be the original owner to receive warranty coverage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Point we'll taken, and I own many lipos from fullymax, crazy pony, luimier <sp>, arris, turnigy and other manufacturers as well. And I have replaced many them several times cheaply.

I typically solder my lipos directly to the board to save space, and so replacing them isn't something I relish. I have a dna 200 with a maxamps 1800 mah that I am still getting over 20 watt hours out of 3 years later, pretty sure over a million puffs on it but I've reset enough times that I'm not sure, plus I had switched the 200 for a 250 board (same 1800 mah battery though) for about a year and a half, until the USB finally gave up so I put the 200 back in it. 

Now I'm just rambling but the gist is the battery should only be about 19.9 watt hours and I'm still getting over 20 after 3 years and wearing out a dna board on it. Just saying that I had to replace a DNA board before the battery wore out, and all cells are still balanced and charging/discharging at (nearly) the same rates as when new. I check it weekly just because of its age, I will retire it the second I see a weak cell, but it just keeps on working. I have 3, the other two aren't as old but are just as solid so far. Received a fourth today and have one coming on backorder and then all my lipos will be maxamps. 

I would never discourage someone from using their brand of choice, but in my (limited) experience, of the brands I have used, Maxamps has cost me less in the long run... 

I certainly respect your opinion, and am not putting down any less expensive brands, I just prefer what has treated me best in my experience. Hence why I insist =) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, retird said:

I always try to read a warranty.........  Lifetime Warranty 
During the first year of ownership, MaxAmps will replace any defective LiPo or LiFe battery at no cost. After one year, any defective MaxAmps LiPo or LiFe battery can be exchanged for just 50% of the new pack's list price. Our lifetime warranty is non-transferrable. You must be the original owner to receive warranty coverage.

Not really buying for the warranty, but I did read that, so my expectations before I purchased were properly set.

I was just tired of replacing batteries or getting ones with weak cells and dealing with all the people selling the cheaper batteries and coughed up the $50 for a maxamps and have had one going for 3 years, and another at 2, and a third almost a year into it, and no issues.

I'm voting with my dollars until they screw me, then I'll find another brand I'm sure =) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 67exec said:

I wouldn't buy anything that contains a Maxamps battery, or anything that recommends them. They are low quality cells at a premium price. They offer a lifetime warranty, but I could replace a better quality of a lesser price at least 3 times for less money and hassle.

So I'm looking for about an 1800 mah 3s smaller than 68mmx35mmx28mm, what should I buy that would be less than $55 for 3 of them and of better quality? If I'm not looking at the right brands point me in the right direction if you can please... Someone else pointed me to Maxamps, I'm definitely open to suggestions =) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gizman said:

So I'm looking for about an 1800 mah 3s smaller than 68mmx35mmx28mm, what should I buy that would be less than $55 for 3 of them and of better quality? If I'm not looking at the right brands point me in the right direction if you can please... Someone else pointed me to Maxamps, I'm definitely open to suggestions =) 

24.99 :) Only 20c But should be plenty for what we are doing 

https://www.venompower.com/collections/3s/products/parrot-ar-drone-1-0-and-2-0-20c-3s-1800mah-11-1v-lipo-battery-by-venom

 

  • Battery Type: Lithium Polymer (LiPo Battery)
  • C Rate: 20C
  • Volts: 11.1
  • Capacity: 1800mAh
  • Cell Count: 3S
  • Cell Configuration: 3S1P
  • Continuous Discharge: 20C (36A)
  • Max Burst Rate: 40C (72A)
  • Max Volts per Cell: 4.2V
  • Max Volts per Pack: 12.6V
  • Min Volts per Pack: 9V
  • Charge Rate: 1C (1.8A)
  • Max Approved Charge Rate: 5C (9A)
  • Wire Gauge: 16 AWG Soft and Flexible Low Resistance Silicone Wire
  • Plug Type: Mini Tamiya
  • Dimensions: 66 x 36 x 29 mm / 2.6 x 1.4 x 1.1 in
  • Watt Hours: 19.98
  • Weight: 4.9 oz (140 g)
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steamer861 said:

24.99 :) Only 20c But should be plenty for what we are doing 

https://www.venompower.com/collections/3s/products/parrot-ar-drone-1-0-and-2-0-20c-3s-1800mah-11-1v-lipo-battery-by-venom

 

  • Battery Type: Lithium Polymer (LiPo Battery)
  • C Rate: 20C
  • Volts: 11.1
  • Capacity: 1800mAh
  • Cell Count: 3S
  • Cell Configuration: 3S1P
  • Continuous Discharge: 20C (36A)
  • Max Burst Rate: 40C (72A)
  • Max Volts per Cell: 4.2V
  • Max Volts per Pack: 12.6V
  • Min Volts per Pack: 9V
  • Charge Rate: 1C (1.8A)
  • Max Approved Charge Rate: 5C (9A)
  • Wire Gauge: 16 AWG Soft and Flexible Low Resistance Silicone Wire
  • Plug Type: Mini Tamiya
  • Dimensions: 66 x 36 x 29 mm / 2.6 x 1.4 x 1.1 in
  • Watt Hours: 19.98
  • Weight: 4.9 oz (140 g)

Too wide and too thick unfortunately, but I do have a different sized venom that I have had no issues with. For this mod, the battery must be smaller than 68x35x28, the maxamps actual dimensions are 67x34x27 and I can't fit anything bigger than that in the mod. 

The venom I have is 4mm taller, 2mm wider and 1mm deeper than what they advertised (although it worked in the mod I purchased it for), this seems to be a common thing as I have an arris I can't use in anything.

I have a 1000 mah 4s Turnigy 20c in the mod in my hand, and it's worked great, but I will be pulling it when the 1300 Mah maxamps gets here, if nothing else than for the added watt hours. 

Has anyone tried any of the graphene batteries out there? Are they superior in any way to a normal lipo? I've seen them popping up everywhere but haven't researched them at all... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gizman said:

Yeah, I love them as well, but I end up scratching them, and they are so BIG and HEAVY, if you work with someone on Shapeways instead of making what you want fit in the enclosure you can just have an enclosure made that fits what you want perfectly, and is of a lightweight durable material that doesn't show scratches.  And if you do mess one up, just reprint.

I understand they aren't for everyone, but they work best for me. Frogmod (laguz75 on Shapeways) worked with me in his spare time over several weeks to get me exactly what I wanted, I can't thank him enough, very smart, creative guy that will help you out if you are looking for something specific and can't find what you want.

Probably others that would do the same, but he really did me a solid and put up with my BS, so I really appreciate it Frogmod if you are reading this!

Sounds like getting some to help with (or just doing) some custom design work isn’t as difficult or expensive as I thought. I have been wanting to buy, build or get built a DNA75 (or perhaps now a 75C) Single 26650 Tube Mod but have had no luck finding anything remotely like it. I was looking at trying to buy an existing SS  VV or VW MOD which already had cutouts of a similar size but even finding one of those has been difficult. There was one released a couple of years ago (Can’t remember it’s name or the maker, some Chinese mob I’d never heard of I think) but I can’t find anyone who still has one...perhaps I’d be better looking at getting one designed &  “Printed”?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steamer861 said:

Thats the beauty of 3D printers, there designs can be Changed :) A few MM give or take, no big Deal! Spending $60 on a battery, Not going to happen :(

Well said sir. I obviously need to invest in a printer, I think that may be my next purchase. After I get these next two mods built I think I will take the time to learn some new skills :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...