DNA250C using NiFe problems

AMDtrucking

I have just acquired DNA250C. Ginger Vaper BF, although I have a lot of experience using previous DNA200, DNA250 and DNA75 exclusively in Temp Control mode.  I never liked Stainless Steel because of it's low TCR (95 - 105), I always used NiFe30 (TCR-520), for my single coil buids and NiFe48 (TCR400), for dual coils. All builds are around 0.1 Ohm.I wrap dual/tripple Fused Claptons from 28 Gauge or 26 Gauge NiFe, with 42 Gauge Nichrome around them.  This method served me well for a long time, BUT now I've got DNA250C. I only have been using it for a few days and already noticing some problems. In REPLAY mode, after several successful puffs, it wouldn't fire my coils and display: "Check Atomizer" message on the screen. I tried several different atomizers and coils, but the problem persists. If I disengage REPLAY, then it's working again, until several puffs later, if I engage REPLAY again. Also, while in REPLAY mode, I feel my Puffs are not constant. They are kind of "wavy" (intermittent) until they quit completely and the message "Check Atomizer" is on the screen. Like I said, as soon as I turn REPLAY off, everything goes back to normal again.  If I go back to just an old trustee Temp. Control, it doesn't work exactly like the old one did, on DNA200, DNA250 and DNA75. I would load my NiFe30 and NiFe48 profiles from Steam Engine, set my temperature and go. I never limit my Wattage, ever. But in this DNA250C, I keep seeing the message: "Check Atomizer" or "Temperature Protected" before it even fires. And when I engage REPLAY mode from my Temp. Control profile, it becomes a nightmare.  I normally don't use just the Wattage mode, but I tried using it here. Even in Wattage mode, I get "Temperature Protected" message on display instead of vapor sometimes.  Could it be because DNA250C is not really capable utilizing NiFe and I should try SS? Or am I doing something wrong? I understand that very few people have much experience with DNA250C, I'm hoping that Evolv people are reading this and can help.  Again, I own over 15 DNA200, DNA250 and DNA75 devices and would like to think, that I know what I am doing, when it comes to Temp. Control.      

Display.png.b188de6b06ffdb7868f5c13411690cd5.png

5ab82d11c5ab8_BoxerBF.thumb.png.6a47f68f9b96c774d3bb663288ada6e0.png

Edited by AMDtrucking

UPDATE: I just tried SS Coil. Same problem: "Check Atomizer" and will not fire in Replay mode.  It starts working again, just as soon as I turn the Replay mode off.

Also, did I misspell the word AtomiZer or Ginger Vaper? :DD I doubt that if I change the screen profile back to Evolv, my problem will go away. I'm sure that the screen profile, has nothing to do with functionality.

Check Atomizer.png

Edited by AMDtrucking

I'm having issues using the replay mode on my boxer 250c also. My coils are stainless. Works speraticly and not well when it does. I keep getting check atomizer when it's messing up.  Even after I checked all my connctions in my atomizer again. I only just got it Monday. I' not sure if the service pack I updated caused this because it worked great the first day and I uploaded the service pack and now this. I' going to try to roll back my device.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bladedoza said:

I'm having issues using the replay mode on my boxer 250c also. My coils are stainless. Works speraticly and not well when it does. I keep getting check atomizer when it's messing up.  Even after I checked all my connctions in my atomizer again. I only just got it Monday. I' not sure if the service pack I updated caused this because it worked great the first day and I uploaded the service pack and now this. I' going to try to roll back my device.

Please keep us posted, because I didn't even try before I loaded Service Pack 13. I also got mine on Monday.

Fire the coil at something like 15 to 20 watts in wattage mode and watch the live ohm value in Device Monitor make note of the resistance at the start or shortly after.

Then open atomizer analyzer and see how that compares to the live reading and let us know what you find.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nick said:

Fire the coil at something like 15 to 20 watts in wattage mode and watch the live ohm value in Device Monitor make note of the resistance at the start or shortly after.

Then open atomizer analyzer and see how that compares to the live reading and let us know what you find.

Here you go: On both SS and NiFe30, resistance rises, from cold Ohms to warm Ohms as it should. But REPLAY still doesn't work. :thumb_down:

NiFe30 20 Watt 6 Seconds.PNG

SS 20 Watt 6 Seconds.PNG

Edited by AMDtrucking

54 minutes ago, Nick said:

If you're willing to let us take a look at the mod submit a helpdesk ticket and we will get you info to send it in. Thanks!

I am absolutely willing to send it to you for repair if you can fix it. I waited anxiously for it, bragger on all forums about this new Evolv Replay Mode, reposted links of Brandon's interviews with Daniel DJLSB and The Vaping Byker and it failed me. What a shame. I have just submitted support Ticket ID: B86-JDB-SH4T on evolvvapor.com 

2 hours ago, retird said:

Probably not the issue but could you post up the *.ecig file and I'll spin it on my 250C with SS....

Of course, here it is:

I didn't change anything in SS 316 profile, it's all factory default. I just added two new materials: NiFe30 and NiFe48 and two new profiles accordantly. 

Boxer DNA250C.zip

Edited by AMDtrucking

45 minutes ago, Nick said:

It may need the 510 grounding improved but we will see.

If that's the case, then I'm fully capable of taking care of it my self. But I don't see where it could be improved. There is a heavy gauge black wire, soldered directly to the board on one end and to the other end is soldered to, (I forgot how to call that) A brass washer with one tab, that you solder the wire to and put this washer around the threaded part of 510 connector, under the nut. What's there to improve? The only thing I see and I don't like (bedsides their soldering job) is the threads are painted black and could interfere with conductivity, but I guess that Ginger Vaper knows what they are doing for $250.00 mod.  

Ground.png

Investigating farther, I removed the connector. Like I said, I don't see a problem with wiring, but I do see that connector's threads are painted black and there is evidence of some kind of Lock-tight being used, which frankly, looks to me, like dried out Crazy Glue, which very well could prevent good connection.

Connector.png

Edited by AMDtrucking

18 minutes ago, retird said:

AMD..... loaded the Boxer *,ecig file and  Replay didn't work on my 250C.......  Try this Test Theme and see if it does anything.....  it is just the Default Evolv theme with a Toggle to turn on and off Replay on the main screen...

Thanks, I will. Just as soon as I remove all that glue and wire-brush the threads of the connector. Too bad, that Mod Maker MM510 is Ø12mm threaded, otherwise I would use it instead. 

Hi AMD/All

I do not think it is the Theme as I have tested it for a few weeks on my personal unit and working fine.   Not sure what changes you may have made to the settings though?
You can test with the our default theme as the only change we made is to include our logo to Evolv's default theme as well as 1W increments and battery curve,     Simply press the restore defaults button to bring the unit back to its original (as received) state.
Also do not believe it to be a ground issue.  

• Haha 1

Thank you Nick and thank you retird! I did two things:

1. I improved negative connection to the 510 Connector, by removing all the glue and some of the paint with M10 pitch 1.0mm Treading Die.

2. I loaded Evolv profile instead of Ginger Vaper one.

So far, REPLAY is working fine for 15 minutes...

And, mr. Ginger, I guess I voided my manufacturer warranty? (Not that I care, really) :grin:

Good.png

And should I tell Ginger Vaper, that their profile sucks or you will! :DD 

Oh yen another thing I've noticed, while working with connector conductivity improvement. The brass nut, when it was inserted by screwing down connector and pulling the nut in it's place, it shaved some of the plastic and plastic shavings ended up between the nut and the contact washer (I still don't know what is it called). Those plastic shavings, could have prevented a good electrical contact to the negative side of the connector.  Of course, on my unit, I removed all that. But for future reference, when assembling, you might want to place the nut first, in it's place, and then screw the connector into the nut instead of pulling the nut in, while screwing the connector and shaving the plastic. It is merely a suggestion. 

Edited by AMDtrucking
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ginger said:

Hi AMD/All

I do not think it is the Theme as I have tested it for a few weeks on my personal unit and working fine.   Not sure what changes you may have made to the settings though?
You can test with the our default theme as the only change we made is to include our logo to Evolv's default theme as well as 1W increments and battery curve,     Simply press the restore defaults button to bring the unit back to its original (as received) state.
Also do not believe it to be a ground issue.  

It is proved/disproved very easily, let me enjoy my REPLAY for a while, and then I could load Ginger Vaper profile back and see if it works. I will let you know. 

Ginger Vaper wouldn't be the first to use some sort of thread sealant on the 510. As SS's TCR is so low we need "the most bestest" connection from heating wire all the way to the board, including the following - spaced coils (for stability) / secure wire-to-post connections / clean RDA/RTA 510 threads + positive pin / clean mod 510 threads + positive pin (a good pre-load pin spring is always important. Just look at the length Evolv went to when they developed their own 510. They used a wave pre-load spring) / proper soldering + wire gauge.

Added resistance, on top of what your coil would normally read, causes so many people to dislike TC because it becomes too much of hassle to dial in a vape. I see this issue trickling over to Evolv's "Replay" function. Resistance is a big part of TC's functionality as well as Replay's functionality. 

I would do what you're doing and try to remove as much of the "glue" as possible, get a solid connection going and i would go a step further and probably retouch the solder joints. BUT i'm a person who doesn't mind voiding warranties. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ChunkyButt200 said:

Ginger Vaper wouldn't be the first to use some sort of thread sealant on the 510. As SS's TCR is so low we need "the most bestest" connection from heating wire all the way to the board, including the following - spaced coils (for stability) / secure wire-to-post connections / clean RDA/RTA 510 threads + positive pin / clean mod 510 threads + positive pin (a good pre-load pin spring is always important. Just look at the length Evolv went to when they developed their own 510. They used a wave pre-load spring) / proper soldering + wire gauge.

Added resistance, on top of what your coil would normally read, causes so many people to dislike TC because it becomes too much of hassle to dial in a vape. I see this issue trickling over to Evolv's "Replay" function. Resistance is a big part of TC's functionality as well as Replay's functionality. 

I would do what you're doing and try to remove as much of the "glue" as possible, get a solid connection going and i would go a step further and probably retouch the solder joints. BUT i'm a person who doesn't mind voiding warranties. 

IMHO, As Nick suggested, me running a threading die to clean the connector, sanding both sides of the contact washer (still don't know how to call it properly) sanding the nut itself, removing plastic shavings and tightening them firmly, might have solved the conductivity problem. Let me load Ginger Vepers profile again and see. As of right now, REPLAY is working fine, even when engaged from my NiFe30 TC profile. 

NiFe30.png

One more thing, Ginger Vaper, couldn't you make the opening (for display) a little bit larger? Some of the important information is off the screen. 

Edited by AMDtrucking

I think that Ginger Vaper Boxer Theme is safe. I'm going to get nicotine overdose from all that tasting, but I loaded Boxer profile back and it seams to be working. I guess my negative conductivity was really a problem. Again: Thank you Nick! Noticed how my NiFe30 coil resistance when from 0.1Ω to 0.05Ω? That is the same coil as before and it's resistance doubles when warm. That's why I love to use NiFe, for it's TCR 520.

NiFe30 Live Ohms 0.05.PNG

Edited by AMDtrucking

• Nick locked this topic